Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 First time Royal owner ...advice please !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zincubus
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  01:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey !!

I have 5 Corn snakes and thought I'd never stray from them but after scouring the classifieds for the final piece of my jigsaw I stumbled upon a stunning little beauty!
I am now the proud owner of a beautiful baby Royal , she.'s only about 12" long.
Although she isn't being delivered to me until next Thursday, giving me plenty of time to sort things out.

I've read so many great things about Royals and so as soon as I saw her I was
Lovestruck LOL

I have read a lot about them and my only real concern is the "potential" feeding problems they can have. The breeder says that she is a good eater , which is a relief , I'm just worried in case the journey and new surroundings , plus the swap to a viv from a RUB may affect her appetite . She has one small mouse weekly in her RUB whereas I usually feed my Corn snakes out of their viv , in small containers .

I told the breeder that I have a 12" Exo Cube viv and an 18" Exo Cube viv available and the breeder suggested that the smaller 12" cube would be better in the early stages. The warm section in both seems to vary from 87 to 92 degrees.

Are there any major differences between Royals and Corns apart from body shape :) ?

Please post any suggestions to a first time Royal owner ... Ie what to do , what NOT to do , what to expect , what to be aware of ...eye etc

Thanks !!!!!!

Edited by - Zincubus on 15/01/2011 02:52:06

Grunt
Hatchling

53 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  08:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to all this too so don't take this the wrong way but have you read the care sheet on this site?

Go to the home page and there's a link to it on the top. Lots of great info on there.

We're going through a hard time getting used to feeding (us and Pythie). We've read that you feed in a seperate tub in some places and in others it says NEVER feed in a seperate tub. Confusing or what? http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ2.html#hus_1 Some good stuff on here about feeding too just to throw a spanner in the works. It seems to me like almost every snake keeper has a different view and technique.

0.1.0 Normal
1.1.0 Cats
1.0.1 Offspring
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  08:43:15  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
like the breeder has suggested, the smaller exo terra would be better, as royals prefer the smalller spaces, so they feel safe and comfertable.
with the feeding issue you have, as long as you give ur royal plenty of time to settle in without handling, only spot cleaning and changing water for a week, he sould be fine and settle in nicely. sometimes they may decided not to eat for a few weeks, like my female did, she didn't eat for 5 weeks when i got her, but it didn't do her nay harm, and she only lost 5 grams, and she eventually started eating, so they will most of teh time start eating for you within time, you just have to patient lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  08:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there When you get her home give her time to settle about a week get her viv/rub ready water,2 hides one at each end you can fill it out it makes them feel secure put tissue on the bottom if you like.
I only use tissue or should i say kitchen roll.After a week offer some food. you can try the way you feed your corns.but then you have to get them back in. If your using a heat mat put it under the viv on the outside and still use a therm and a temp gadge and have fun
Hope this helps.Im still a newbe after 4 years.PS Don't be surprised
if he/she has hade poo on the way home sometimes the trip in the car gives there diggested system a little help TTFN.
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  19:19:25  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dont know about youngsters as i got mine at about a year old but she ate well on her first night home with me and proved to be a hardy little girl!

Just keep reading all you can and im sure all will be well!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  19:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there. Yes i would use the smaller of the 2 homes. l normally let them settle for 5 days and offer food unless its a feeding day and then i'll just offer. I've had some feed the same day as bringing them home as sandi saids. I don't see royals as having feeding problems their just doing what they do in the wild. One of mine i had from a hatchling has only missed her first meal this week and she's now 1200g. I feed all mine in their rub's on kitchen paper and my hand has never been mistaken for food. i warmup the food in a zip lock freezer bag in warm water then just give the head a blast with a hair dryer right before feeding. Best way though is to just adopt how the previous owners fed her. Good luck.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave