New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  01:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've nearly finished building my viv but there are few question that I would like to ask before I finish to build it.

1. What could I use instead of perspex or glass (1200mm x 1200mm of perspex = over 50 pounds in B&Q) or where to get them cheap? Haven't checked glass prices yet but before I will check I would like to hear your opinions.

2. Can I connect heat mat and IR bulb to the same Microclimate stat or should I just use IR bulb and stop using heat mat in the viv?

3. Which heating bulb (60W, 75W, 100W, 150W) will be the most suitable for the viv of size 25"x17"x15" (I know the size is a bit strange but only this will fit into the bottom shelf of my desk)?

Cheers for answers.

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  07:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1, If it needs to be see thru (I'm guessing it will if your considering glass) Plastics, acrylics and glass all cost around the same. Glass is easier to keep clean though.

2, No, bith should be on different.

3, I have 36" and i use 100's. A 100W bulb would work less in a smaller space so that would be my choice

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Grunt
Hatchling

53 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  08:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built my own viv and I sourced my glass from a local glazier. Be very accurate about the size when you order it. Two pieces for the doors with polished edges for a 36x18x18 inch viv cost me £20.

I ordered a 75w IR bulb but it didn't arrive in time so I bought a 60w from the local garden centre but it wasn't enough. It was on full all the time and not making temp. The 75w arrived just after Christmas, was installed and, hey presto, temps sorted. For your 2' viv I would say that 60w would be plenty.

Experience not knowledge so wait for the experts.

Long shot but if you live in Wrecsam you can have my 60w IR bulb.

0.1.0 Normal
1.1.0 Cats
1.0.1 Offspring
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  08:39:03  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
1. i think source some glass from a glazier, they tend be slighlty cheaper

2. i would just stick with the ir bulb to be honest, but if you really wanted both, they would have to be on separte stats

3. i am using a 100 watt bulb in my 3ft viv (or will be) as that will make sure that it doesn't work to hard. you could get a 100 watt, which means when you eventually move up to a 3ft viv, you could put that bulb in it, if it was still working

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  11:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers for all the answers. What about the IR bulb holder. Should I go for ceramic one or any from the reptile shop would be good?
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  11:51:00  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i am using a ceramic bulb, but thats only because im using a cermaic bulb

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  11:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you recon that for IR bulb I cuold use any holder?
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  12:22:38  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think so yes, but iv never used an ir, so somebody else might now better
i bought a cermaic bulb holder and wire for a fiver off ebay

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  12:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, ebay is good but I just don't like to wait for delivery too long. And when nobody is at home then I need to pick it up from the post office and it takes ages.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  12:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure IR bulbs all come with a screw fitting, not bayonet. So you'd need a screw socket with the same flex and plug as any normal lamp or light - it's the ceramic ones (of which I've no experience) that need special fittings.

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  12:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers BATS. It should be even easier with IR then :D
Go to Top of Page

Grunt
Hatchling

53 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  15:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a ceramic holder for mine and have noticed that it does get very hot so not sure what implications this would have for a plastic holder, would it melt?

0.1.0 Normal
1.1.0 Cats
1.0.1 Offspring
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  16:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grunt

I bought a ceramic holder for mine and have noticed that it does get very hot so not sure what implications this would have for a plastic holder, would it melt?

Don't know anything about ceramic bulbs except that they do have to have a special fitting. Infra red are fine with ordinary plastic fittings.

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  22:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought everything I needed and actually my viv is nearly ready - only the front is missing as I'm still thinking where to get the glass from and how should I install this in my viv. Does anybody know where can I get a glass tracks and circular air vents from? I've seen them on the internet but I just wanted to buy them in the shop and look at them before I buy them. I will try to take some pictures so maybe you can also suggest what I should change.
Go to Top of Page

Grunt
Hatchling

53 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  09:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my runners and vents off eBay, absolutely no problems with them, arrived quickly, blah, blah, blah. Approach a local glazier about the glass for the front. Fit the runners first though so you can accurately measure the gap! Simples.

0.1.0 Normal
1.1.0 Cats
1.0.1 Offspring
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  17:09:56  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Local glazers defo the best option for glass, best to use safety glass just in case of accidents. I order perspex/acrylic sheets from a company called hindleys. Much cheaper than B&Q.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000