144 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  08:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CoN

quote:
Originally posted by Snecklifter

quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Mine was nowhere near that much, I spent about £300 on a 5stack viv system, I bought a smaller viv for one of my snakes and it cost me about £50.

I never did the exact maths but the snake was £75 and the viv was about the same so thats £150 straight away. When I'd got all the heating sorted out (stats, bulbs, guards etc.) and furniture, I would have thought it had cost be about £300. my point is you can spend what you want on gear, but for a full set up £220 isn't unreasonable.

Linked removed so I couldnt comment on the "starter kit" Some times they say Starter kit for a snake, BUT then if you look at the stuff in the starter kit its isnt worth buying most of the time as you WILL have to replace most of the equipment.

Well thats a bit of a generalisation, both of the exotic pet shops closest to me sell starter kits and the equipment in both is top notch. Of course, you only get what you pay for. On the other hand, there are starter kits out there that are pretty basic and as you said, would probably warrant immediate replacement - but then, there is plenty of discussion on this forum about snake habitats and less is more in quite a few peoples' eyes. I'm not sure that the snake really minds either, as long as its got somewhere to hide, some water and a heat source - so given that, are starter kits that include only basic equipment adequate? In the vast majority of cases, yes, probably.

Again, my point was that for a good start up kit, £220 is perhaps not unreasonable.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  09:47:54  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with u in a way, but it depends on what comes withe setup. It cost me about 150 quid to set up my 4ft tank for my corn, and that's inc stat and mat that I already hadn so to me 220 does seem a bit steep even if u get a viv setup, but then I suppose if u buy it from a pet shop then u are always guna pay more

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  14:11:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Why not? Seems like something that should be done if somebody is trying to rip him off.

The forum owners are legally responsible for its contents and if any of this was false/misinterpreted etc and the shop owner felt that it was slanderous they could theoretically sue Lewy, so better safe than sorry. Feel free to e-mail each other/MSN etc about it though if you wanted to.

On a personal note, if this were not the case I'd be all up for a list of shops to avoid, it might make them improve their act.

Sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  14:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No worries BE I see your point.

My sincerest apologies

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000