New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

infatuateddrummer
Yearling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  12:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a snake curls up ontop of a probe of a digital thermometer will it raise the temperature Reading?? Got my bulb set up perfect hot end at 33 and this mornin the digital guage said 40. I moved the probe and it settled again so I expect I am rite just curious if anyone else has had this issue!! Thanks

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  12:57:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
They are cold blooded and would stop the heat getting to the probe, so if a snake was lying on a probe I'd have thought the temp would go down.

Unless they are lying on the thermostat probe so the thermostat thinks the viv's too cold and pumps more heat in.

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  13:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience is that if they lie up against the themometer, the temp goes down.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

CoN
Yearling

United Kingdom
400 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  14:30:49  Show Profile  Visit CoN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I caught most of mine around the gauge a couple of times now but, didn't looked like it affected the read/temp. One thing it did change when they are cured around the gauge is the humidity (If you have the 2 in 1 thermometer).

9.11.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
Feel free to join my Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527
Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  14:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corns are a pain for moving the probes no matter where I put them or how I fix them in place.

Now one of my daily checks is to make sure all probes are in the correct place. Fawkes decided to crap all over one probe yesterday :(
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  15:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the temp readings definitely fluctuate. Up or down depending on the temp of the snake.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

infatuateddrummer
Yearling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  18:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well all seems ok but will keep eye on it I got ceramic bulb running on a habistat dimming stat!!
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  18:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the snake blocks the line of sight of the probe then it won't register the temperature of the bulb until its heated up the snake as well. So the temperature would drop at first to the snakes body temperature and then slowly go back up the longer the heffer was sat on the probe. Bit of a catch 22, the probe needs to be in the hot spot, the snake needs to sit in the hot spot to warm up a bit. As this isn't a case of direct contact with the heat source its very very unlikely to cause a burn to the snake as his body temp will raise and he'll move before he it ever gets dangerous.

Go to Top of Page

infatuateddrummer
Yearling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  18:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank u that was my main concern only had him a week so it all fairly new to me thank u all for ya help means alot
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000