Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Kiba's 2nd or maybe 3rd feeding attempt...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  10:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... was successful! Eventually....

We took his water bowl out of the rub along with his warm hide to give him space. He was attentive and alert whereas when we first got him he was a recluse! We defrosted the mouse whilst we were out, heated it up in hot water (in a bag) and wiggled it in front of his nose - he struck almost immediately!
Great, we thought. Then we made a fatal mistake... I put his water bowl back in the rub whilst he was still constricting the mouse. I knew it was a mistake but my hubby wanted to get the lid back on and leave him to it. Unfortunately, putting the water bowl back in disturbed him and he stopped constricting. We put the lid back on and left him to it. Got up this morning and he'd buried the mouse under the paper that we're using as substrate!

So, having read someone else did this on here, I got the mouse out, heated it back up and whilst I was doing that he stuck his head out of his hot hide. This time I left the hide and bowl in there and just lifted the lid a bit and stuck the mouse through the gap and wiggled it again - he sniffed it for a bit and then struck again! I pulled the tongs out and put the lid back down and left him to it. About 15 mins later the mouse is gone :-)

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  12:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congrats ballgirl. i wouldn't worry about taking anything out. mine have constricted in their water bowl like their trying to drown the rat a few times. doesn't bother them. If the mouse had been in there all night i'd be inclined to throw it away and defrost a fresh one.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  13:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully we won't have it being left in there again now I know how to do it right first time :-)

Moral of the story - don't do anything that might disturb them in any way whilst feeding! Sounds obvious, but still...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  13:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been there, done that. It's all part and parcel of getting to know your snake. Many, notably corns, and even some royals, wouldn't have given a damn; they'd have just coiled harder (MY mouse!) Others are more sensitive to disturbance - yes, it's a good rule not to disturb them while eating. Very glad he ate for you second time round.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  14:10:17  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Like other have sed, no need to remove stuff, quite a few times mine have eaten in there water bowl, so the rat ends up soaking, and they get a good drink while eating lol
Just carefully re-using the mouse after it has been left in there all night, But hopefully at won't happen again as there will be no need to leave it in at night

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  19:23:06  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good he went for it again! I put Flo off once just by moving too close to her viv when she was constricting. The dogs also put her off once by rushing past, she normally either recovers or goes back later. the only time she didnt was when she started to fast.

Would suggest that in future if he hasnt eaten the food by morning you should discard it rather than trying again. Bacteria multiply very fast in these temperatures.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  17:00:02  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya

How do you all get on with the substrate when feeding in the viv

I feed earl in his viv but remove his hides and water and place paper towel over the substrate to reduce the risk of him getting any taken down with the mouse especially the ones that are fed with wet food or am I just being over cautious ?

Martin

Got a lovely royal python called earl, a brazilian rainbow boa called zeus, a red tail cross boa constrictor called dorris and an albino burmese python called angel as well :-)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  17:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martinking6

Hiya

How do you all get on with the substrate when feeding in the viv

I feed earl in his viv but remove his hides and water and place paper towel over the substrate to reduce the risk of him getting any taken down with the mouse especially the ones that are fed with wet food or am I just being over cautious ?

Martin

No, I don't think you are. I cover the substrate too.

Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  19:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only have paper down at the moment as he's in a RUB.
Sorry can't be more help.
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  21:58:41  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If i use fine orchid bark then i cover it with paper, at the mo i am using very coarse bark so the lumps are too big to stick to the rat.

I wouldnt remove hides or water when i feed flo as she seems to like the security of them being there. She will retreat with the rat into her hide if disturbed when feeding, without the hide there, i suspect she would drop the rat and panic.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

Edited by - sandi on 01/02/2011 08:53:09
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  11:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Royal likes to be handled before a feed. We take him out and put kitchen towel on the substrate to prevent ingestion. After handling we put him back in and feed immediately, it seems he has learnt to associate the kitchen towell with feeding and sits waiting for his food after we put him back in. He's never missed a feed, not once so he's hardly a problem snake, but he does seem to do pretty much the opposite of most of the advice recommended.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  14:00:00  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snecklifter

Our Royal likes to be handled before a feed. We take him out and put kitchen towel on the substrate to prevent ingestion. After handling we put him back in and feed immediately, it seems he has learnt to associate the kitchen towell with feeding and sits waiting for his food after we put him back in. He's never missed a feed, not once so he's hardly a problem snake, but he does seem to do pretty much the opposite of most of the advice recommended.

Thats exactly what I have done since acquiring earl

Martin

Got a lovely royal python called earl, a brazilian rainbow boa called zeus, a red tail cross boa constrictor called dorris and an albino burmese python called angel as well :-)
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  17:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the handling after where you have to be careful. If it's a large meal they can regurgitate it.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave