Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  18:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I prefer 100w IR bulbs with a dimmer stat as they give heat and light so that I can see my snakes and they aren't disturbed by it

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  19:19:30  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i did consider ir for that reason, but becuase its in my room, i wouldn't be able to sleep with the light, so went with ir

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  20:59:05  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm having that problem too, 60W IR bulb in a 3" viv but not getting the same temps as the 60Wred light. Turns out its just the cold snap we are having but its not getting hot enough so ive just ordered a 100w IR. Now need to change the holder, as standard lamp holder is only good for 60w output. Also have electrician as husband who is looking over shoulder ready to pounce on my mistakes so have to get it right!
Next move is, ceramic holder for 100w IR. meanwhile, temps have sorted themselves out so why the f..... am i worrying!?

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  22:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

I'm having that problem too, 60W IR bulb in a 3" viv but not getting the same temps as the 60Wred light. Turns out its just the cold snap we are having but its not getting hot enough so ive just ordered a 100w IR. Now need to change the holder, as standard lamp holder is only good for 60w output. Also have electrician as husband who is looking over shoulder ready to pounce on my mistakes so have to get it right!
Next move is, ceramic holder for 100w IR. meanwhile, temps have sorted themselves out so why the f..... am i worrying!?

That just made me laugh.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  20:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, where to begin?

I have a 24"(long) x 21"(tall) x 18.5" (deep) Vivexotic vivarium.

I started out using a 40w ceramic, controlled by my Microclimate dimming thermostat, with a day/night magic eye so you can set a temperature drop at night (like in the desert, where they come from).

I found that I was achieving the right 'hot spot' temperatures, but two problems arose, it seemed the ceramic bulb was on 80% of the time (struggling a bit) and it also triggered the alarms on my thermostat as it switched from night to day mode (only set for a 2 degree drop!) so I binned it.

I've now got a 50w Infra Red (Exo Terra) bulb, run again through the same dimmer, and it's working a treat! Temps are spot on and fluctuate not one degree, the red light makes the viv look all exotic and 'brothel-like' which Percy seems to think is cool, and the alarms aren't going off anymore.

I've also noted that the top and sides of the viv's wood around the area the bulb is don't get worryingly hot like they did with the nasty little ceramic. I think the heat it throws out seems more focused 'downwards' then with the ceramic, which with no reflector just blasts heat out willy-nilly to all sides.

The fact you can see it working is also a huge boon, being a compulsive temperature checker (when I'm at home) it's reassuring to see the glow, proving the heating 'is happening'. It's also nice to see the slight dimming effect when altering the temperature (not noticable in day to day use, but I experimented by maxing/minning out for a minute or two to see the change)*.

* Before anyone gets on their high horse and starts on me, the overall temperature at the probe didn't change at all during this brief 'trial', and no snakes were harmed in the making of this reply.

Another point to note. My digital thermometer was reading 30 degrees in it's position between the top of the black stone roof tile (top of Percy's hide) however when I checked it with my laser thermometer (well worth the money) I got a hot spot of 34 degrees in a small area, and 32 around the outside, so a hot brick effect going on there, evidently. Just something to note.

Almost forgot: I also have in my arsenal a 100W ceramic bulb which will be taking over when it gets so cold that the 50W I.R is struggling. If it makes the outside of the viv hellishly hot, or I miss the rosy glow of the I.R, then I'll buy a 100W I.R and use that bad-boy! Simples!

Edited by - SaltyTurtle on 02/09/2011 20:16:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000