Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Infra red bulb holder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:05:10  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 60w IR bulb but i need to increase temps so ordered a 100w. Now, local snake man tells me that IR bulbs burn hotter (the bulb itself that is, not output) so i will need a ceramic bulb holder...fine! Hubby is a sparky so i set him on the task....not so fine! Cant get one with a bayonet fitting.

So, what do you use if using a 100w + IR bulb? Is a standard plastic bulb holder safe? or do i need to continue the search?

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a normal plastic bulb holder with a 100 watt IR bulb. They burn no hotter than a normal bulb of equal wattage, and with a thermostat attached (which there should be one) it will regullate the heat output to exactly the same no matter which bulb you use. The exception is ceramic heating bulbs, they work differently, you would need a ceramic holder for one of those.

The really important thing is the bulb needs a guard with 1cm or more clearance around the bulb to keep the snake from burning itself on the bulb or crushing it with a good squeeze.

Edited by - Lotabob on 01/02/2011 22:16:07
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  05:33:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't got special holders for my IR bulbs, however they are all ES.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  08:50:49  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks for that, I have a guard and thermostat but was just worried about the plastic over heating.

I have just seen on line, a company that does heat resistant plastic bulb holders for bayonet fittings so may just go ahead and order one to be safe.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000