Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  10:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

* burnedathestake thanks so much for ur help so far both in my welcome note and on here . we were worried about buying from someone as we wouldnt kno if they really were good feeders or being sold because they werent feeding rite . they sound fairly complicated little things huh ? but both me and the other half are fascinated by them and would def love one , lots more things to consider tho . so u would reccomend a grown on one for the first then? x

LOL - owning a royal is like riding a bicycle - seems daunting at first but you soon get used to it.

I know what you mean about buying from strangers - I'm always dead nervous myself, especially as I'm a recluse and hate speaking to anyone face to face. (I end up talking to the snake, which kind of surprises people, I think!)

I think I've been lucky where Preloved has been concerned - all the sellers I've met have been genuine.

I wouldn't really recommend any particular age of snake - my first royal came as a hatchling; the others as adults. Feeding can't really be 'guaranteed' in a royal - a change of home can cause a fast (although from reading on this forum, most owners seem to find that the royal eats straight away, no problems.) And in winter/spring an adult royal's appetite can be chancy because of the mating season, so can't be predicted by its seller.

At the moment there are more adult royals for sale than hatchlings; later in the year - Jun/Jul onwards, there will be a lot of hatchlings. Many of the present preloved adverts seem to run along the lines of, 'my teenage son's snake, he's lost interest, snake and setup for such and such' ...these can be real bargains, especially if the viv has been nicely set up and properly equipped before the lad got sidetracked by courting, university etc. It can be a good way to a acquire a pet royal.

Obviously there are crooks about, and badly neglected snakes, as Wendigo's and Sandi's experiences of buying a secondhand snake attest.

As to shops - many of the hatchlings for sale in shops in summer are captive farmed ie hatched from eggs harvested in the wild in Africa and imported. There's a good thread on here about cf, started by Strawb. I bought Shahi as a cf hatchling, without realising fully what cf meant. He's absolutely beautiful, but you might like to know more about cf before you decide.

Some shops will 'guarantee' a snake as to feeding/condition, which often means that they will replace a non-feeder. Some shops are very good, others dreadful - there is a thread by Squiggy, 'Devastated' on this.

Hope I haven't put you off entirely, by the way. I honestly have had very good experiences myself (touch wood) of buying secondhand.

Could be a good idea to start your own thread in this section, saying which area you live in, and seeing if anyone can recommend a good breeder or knows of a snake for sale?

Hope this helps, and many apologies, Keira, for hijacking your thread.

All the best, and all the best Keira too, with your little one.

Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  10:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi yes it is by Cotwell End Nature reserve, but it not called this any more cant remember what it is now, havent been down this year, I know they have no royals at the moment called them last week. Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  13:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey stumpy i may have to pop down there! havent been down there since i was a kid! lol

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

keira
Hatchling

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  00:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all
im really sorry i havnt answered but not been on computer sor a while. ok the male royal has gone now the female is staying for now. but do have a hognose for sale
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000