New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

csn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  11:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wen i hold my cb10 normal royal i can hear clicking noises from her what is this?

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  11:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Could be respiratory infection but could also just have some water in his nose, is she coming up for a shed?

Mischeng had the same problem and the vet said it was a slight case of RI apparently, wouldn't worry too much though I'd leave it be for a day and see if it's still doing it?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

csn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  11:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she has shed. and i sprayed her so it maybe water in her nose. should i take her to the vet?
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  11:48:01  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't have enough experience to suggest one way or another csn, my apologies. I'm just saying what I've read from other forum posts :(

I'm sure one of the mods will be here soon enough to advise further though

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  11:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
However, I'd probably check to see if he's showing any other signs of RI first before I panic'ed

Go to Top of Page

csn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  13:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is not doing it now
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  18:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say you sprayed her did this trigger it or occur just before the clicking?

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  19:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you feel or hear any raspy or crackling noise from the respiratory tract?
Is the mouth nice and pink with no excess mucus from it or the nose?

Raising the temps a few degrees is sometimes all it takes to clear up a minor R.I

Not having a go here but there is absolutely no reason to spray your snake. A snakes skin is waterproof and they have no means of hydrating through it.

Hope everything's ok.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

csn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  23:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was told to spray her when she sheds. and she has no mucus or nothing. she has stopped doing it now. hopefully everything will be cool
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  23:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spraying serves no purpose other than to irritate the snake. If they wanted to be wet they would go sit in their water. To raise humidity in your enclosure you can add a moss box, if humidity takes a nose dive you can mist the foliage and decor but its not recommended to spray the substrate directly, royals and wet bellies dont mix well.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  10:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I spray my vivs when my snakes shed, I've never once seen my snakes sit in their water bowls and almost every shed I have problems, took the advice of spraying this time around and every snake shed perfectly.

Go to Top of Page

csn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  20:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is back to making the clicking noises what do i do?? :(
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  21:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit of a 'better safe than sorry' kind of guy. I would book an appointment with my exotics vet, get it checked out. At least that way if your dealing with a RI you've caught it very early and if its nothing then you get peace of mind.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  21:50:18  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i know this sounds strange, but i have heard of people that are claiming to hear the exact same thing as you, and it turns out to be that when the snakes gets slighlty excited when outside its cage it makes this noise. i could be completly wrong, and it could be something else, could be stuck shed in her nose, could be a minor R.I
i would check everything, keep the temps a couple of degrees higher and see if that helps. if after a week things seem to be getting worse (or sooner) then make a vets appointment, or go and see someone that could check her out. if things seem to stay the same, then get someone like a breeder in you area, or a specialized decent pet shop to have a look at her. if things improve then you know she is getting better and it could have been a minor R.I

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  23:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 topics going on here i think. Spraying the snake and the r.i
Why would you spray something that is waterproof? Snakes sitting in water bowls coming up to or during a shed have been observed to actually drink a lot more. This shows a lot are kept in too low a humidity.
Also sharp humidity spikes are bad for a ball python.
Humidity is at 80% at times of the year in some of the areas where there from. By spraying the snake directly all you are doing is raising the humidity as well as possibly causing other health issues.
Just my thoughts.

As far as the suspected r.i. If your not sure about what to look for then yes vets straight away. At least then you'll know and can decide on the treatment to give.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave