New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oxy10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  21:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey ppl, just a quick question, has anybody else been "attacked" by their snake at feeding time? My girl is a really strong feeder, every 6 days without fail she has ate and she strikes usually within seconds of seeing her rat. I always feed her in the same big blue tub but tonight as soon as she saw the tub she went hyper, then as I lowered her into it she coiled around my hand and just wouldnt let go for a good few mins, eventually I had to peel her off me! She's only a baby and I hope this is a 1 off because I wouldnt fancy it when she's grown!!

1.0 Bumblebee
0.1 Pastel
0.1 Pinstripe
0.1 Mojave
0.1 Piebald

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  21:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was it a strong grip or full blown bite and constriction?

Sounds like a strong feeding response, did you maybe handle the rat before handling the snake.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  22:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly sounds like a feeding response/got a whiff of her lunch. Probably just a one-off, bless her, but just goes to show that a royal with food on its mind isn't as placid as it makes out. Congrats on a good feeder though!

On page 5 of the photos section, Tanya and Con had a similar experience in the thread 'My girlfriend got tagged.'

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  22:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above. Did the tub or your hands have a rat scent. Also for those that feed outside the viv i've always wondered do snakes associate this place with feeding.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

oxy10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  23:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was no bite but definate full on constriction, my fingers were going numb and the more i tried to move them the stronger she got! I had handled the rat before her, just as usual. I'm sure she does associate the tub with feeding time, she goes into a totally different state when she gets put in it compared to being put anywhere else, I dont know what its called but she gets into an S shape as though she will strike straight away.

1.0 Bumblebee
0.1 Pastel
0.1 Pinstripe
0.1 Mojave
0.1 Piebald
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  00:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her mind switched into food mode, the box, the smell of food and your wiggling hand just sent her into auto pilot. Poor confussed girl. The scent of rat will have been the strongest factor, keep your hands clean and defrost in another room and don't bring it in until she is in the feeding tub and you should (though not a guarantee) avoid any tight squeezes.

Oh and how cool was it feeling her full strength without taking a hand full of teeth marks. You get a very high respect for an animal when they show off their strength. Fascinating.

Go to Top of Page

oxy10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  00:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I do always defrost in another room. It was strange, she didnt strike at me, just rapidly coiled around the hand that i was holding her with! It was pretty cool at first, then it was like arghhh how do I unwrap her without doing her any harm or spooking her and putting her off a feed! I'll be making sure I dont have rodent hands next week anyway

1.0 Bumblebee
0.1 Pastel
0.1 Pinstripe
0.1 Mojave
0.1 Piebald
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  06:31:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was once bitten and constricted by an adult male when I tried to move him before feeding a couple of years ago, needless to say, they all get fed in their vivs now!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  12:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she ever constricts round your hand again, keep as still as possible and wait for her to withdraw. (This may take time!) To her in that situation, your hand is 'prey' and if it moves, it's still 'alive' - so of course she will constrict harder to 'kill' it.

I bet you gave her a bit of a challenge lol (By 'eck, I had to take me coat off with that big pinkie!)

Edited by - n/a on 18/02/2011 12:16:10
Go to Top of Page

oxy10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  23:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I was once bitten and constricted by an adult male when I tried to move him before feeding a couple of years ago, needless to say, they all get fed in their vivs now!

I was thinking about feeding in the viv, just purely so that I didnt have to handle her before and after, isn't it bad if she ingests substrate though??

1.0 Bumblebee
0.1 Pastel
0.1 Pinstripe
0.1 Mojave
0.1 Piebald
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  00:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would have to put something down to stop/reduce the chance of thst happening. Kitchen roll etc. I feed in the viv, mainly because Duke won't eat unless I am a clean mile away and the lights are off, and the rat is warmed and probably when the moon is full, who knows he's a picky git.

If they will eat out of their vivs I would continue to feed out of the viv, give the little guy the benefit of the doubt that it was a one off.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  09:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I try to feed all of my outside the viv purely because I don't like working in confined spaces, I just don't like it.

However sometimes it's not possible to do that, for instance last night I fed them all but I learnt from experience Scar won't go for a mouse if he's out in the open (admitedly he didn't go for the mouse last night in his viv either but meh, he's an old man) and Cleopatra went straight into "hunt" mode even to the point where she'd charge the glass as soon as I moved past it, I knew if I tried taking her out she'd bite me :(

Valhalla and Diablo eat fine outside though and I do enjoy it far more without having to become a contortionist to reach inside where they're hiding :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000