Am I doing anything wrong
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  19:23:19  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi I spent a long time reading about what I need finding alot of contradicting advice depening where I was looking but I got took what advice looked to be most common and I decided to get my my set up ready and buy my first royal at 15 weeks old I have a 4ft fish tank conversion (been told to big and been told should be ok) I have 100watt dark spot light connected to a manual dimmer (no thermostat yet but is on my list) I am using cypress mulch for bedding (was using bark but humidity was far to low) have 2 hides one either side with branches log and fake leaves running between the 2 . I have a big enough water bowl under the heat lamp( think will need moving humidity now to high 70-80% .I know the my temp is about 90 hot end and 80 cool end in the day and I let drop by 10 each end at night. In his hides the temp seems to be 5-10 less than out side. I was a bit early giving firs feed decided day 2 to give a try on a fuzzy and it fed fine and has fed every 5 days since then with no problems at all altho I think I need to up the size of the food. A few days after first feed I found some poo with little silver thing crawling on it ( my searchs said this was the bedding and not to worry) I have not found any poo since and has now had a total of 5 feeds. I would really appreciate any advice as I wanna make sure I am providing the best I can.

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  19:42:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would agree that the tank is too big, I'm also not a fan of glass vivariums for Royals, however, as long as he is eating and shedding well I can't see a reason to change it immediately.

I would definitely get a dimming thermostat asap! - A manual dimmer will not keep your snake safe.

I also do not drop my temperatures at night.

I'm not sure what the beastie you found was, but may be worth taking a stool sample to a vet for peace of mind. If it is from the substrate you can bake it in the oven before you put it in the viv.

Welcome to the forum.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  19:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first thing you need to do without fail is get a stat fitted, the health of your Royal could be seriously at risk.
Your humidity levels are fine,but it will do no harm moving the bowl slightly to the otherside. Royals can survive perfectly well with UK levels around 50% but their natural levels are much higher (they lay their eggs in the wild at 90%)

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  20:07:44  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok so a must for stat which was on my list anyway so I should keep my temp the same day and night that is easy enough unfortunately only 1 poo so far so am waiting to see a really big one and see if I have the same things on it Ty for the quick replys

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  20:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The little silver thing you saw could well have been an insect called a 'silverfish' - an invasive little beastie fond of moist or foisty conditions but as far as I know harmless to snakes. Most often seen under the sink in damp 1950s kitchens - but not really what you'd like to see in ideal conditions for royals.

By the way, cypress is a conifer, and anything coniferous can be toxic to snakes. Aspen, coco, orchid bark or beech chippings are better substrates - personally I like aspen but that's just my opinion - don't mean to be having a go by the way, and your snake sounds pretty content if he's feeding. And welcome to the forum.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  20:31:44  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The wee beastie could have been a silver fish, they thrive in damp conditions but dont know much else about them, remember seeing them as a kid in our old house.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  20:32:38  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I posted so I could get advice so I am willing to listen to all advice that is given as last thing I want is a I'll or unhappy snake

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  20:33:01  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh lil we collided posts but obviously think alike!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  02:13:14  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Stat Bedding keep eye on nxt lot of poo and don't drop temp at night . Can any1 add pros and cons of glass tank pls #58389;ty so much for all your help

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  06:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Danno sorry to throw a spanner in the works about the night time temps, but like you I trawled everywhere to find info regarding temps, cause after having various reptiles for the past few years the one thing I learned was how important the right temps are, and I've found that in the area these lovely snakes are native to (west africa, ghana) the night time temps there drop between 5 and 10 degrees so I drop mine at night time by about 5 degrees

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  09:01:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danno91

Can any1 add pros and cons of glass tank pls #58389;ty so much for all your help

Royals are naturally very secretive (agoraphobic) snakes and some of them get very stressed from open spaces. It would be wise if using a glass tank to cover 3 of the sides like this:

However, as said before, your snake seems to be coping with its conditions at the moment. I suppose it doesn't mean it will continue to do so, but who knows, your snake may just buck the trend

Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  02:34:55  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of covering 3 sides as I have noticed last few nights it getting very active and looking as if it's trying to find away through the glass like it is right now climbing the front of tank where there nothing to climb on.I may add more inside the tank as well.. In regards to temp everything I had found had told be to drop temp, but like I have said all advice is welcome and ill hopefully take the right advice.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  06:37:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The ambient temperature and cool ends will drop at night anyway as the house gets colder, so in my opinion, no need, but like you said, there's other advice out there. I guess if you did a poll on this forum about 95% don't drop their temps at night.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000