wood viv stacks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  13:18:01  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya

I was wondering if someone with better knowledge can look over the viv quality in the link below, the guy can make the vivs to whatever size I specifywhich is nice as am looking to make a stack system ready for my snakes growing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290536846311&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D290536846311%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

He also says they will be fine with the humid conditions of the brazilian rainbow boa any thoughts ?

Also how do you go on with using a heat mat if that was your desired choice of heat as in how do you use it without it burning the snake as it will be inside the viv ?

Martin

Got a lovely royal python called earl, a brazilian rainbow boa called zeus, a red tail cross boa constrictor called dorris and an albino burmese python called angel as well :-)

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  14:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - that is a nice price - AND free local delivery?? (I live in Wakefield myself - might look into that so thanks for posting.)

It's hard to tell the quality just from photographs, but it looks okay to me at first glance.

There's only one thing ... on my travels I read somewhere that wooden vivs aren't recommended for snakes needing high humidity.
(There again, this is only what I've read - I've never actually kept a snake needing high humidity.)

There's a guy over on RFUK who runs a company called Rhinovivs and who I believe makes traditional vivs but out of plastic or similar - but don't know what his prices are like. (Amendment - his website is no longer available but there are other companies such as Herptek, I believe.)

Good luck with your quest.

Edited by - n/a on 28/02/2011 14:40:16
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  15:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martinking6

Also how do you go on with using a heat mat if that was your desired choice of heat as in how do you use it without it burning the snake as it will be inside the viv ?

Martin

Heat mats like all heating systems need to have a stat fitted. I have two of mine in vivs with heat mats, I use paper on top of the heat mat as i find the snakes will move any substrate on top of it.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  17:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking at the picks they look ok to me. im a joiner and even i wouldn't build and sell for this price so price seems good too.

the only thing i can see a prob with is that the backs look like bare mdf. not mch of a prob tho as it would sealing unless the seller does this

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  20:20:03  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I looked at this guys vivs last week, not sure how he does it for the money as the MFCboard costs more than that for a 4ft viv. Suspect its either thinner stock or as blackscull said, mdf back to save money. Does he give a 'buy it now' price or bidding only?

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  22:23:11  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input

He does buy it now yes £90

Martin

Got a lovely royal python called earl, a brazilian rainbow boa called zeus, a red tail cross boa constrictor called dorris and an albino burmese python called angel as well :-)
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  08:30:37  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just priced up building a 4 ft viv from 18mm stock and it comes in at £75 for the board alone!

I would ask him for some specifications before ordering.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  10:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the back looks thin which could lead to heat loss? Also I can imagine that it might begin to warp with high humidity levels. But another problem is that it only seems to have vents at the top. I wouldn't be totaly comfortable with that as the air flow wouldn't be great. Other than that though it seems fair enough. If he can make them the way you want maybe you could ask for vents in the bottom of the back pannel as well?

Even a statted heatmat can cause nasty burns to an adult Royal, I wouldn't recomend using one for any adult heavy bodied snake.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  17:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would also check if the glass is toughened.

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  21:50:46  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats a good point, toughened glass is critical but expensive.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000