New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  10:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, not that I'm bragging or anything like that, 'cause I know some people are having a hard time with this, but...

Tiger Eye, my clever baby boy, took his first ever rat weener last night! : 3

He'd never been offered one before 'cause they were delivered last week but it was after his feeding day so he'd already had a jumbo mouse. All it took was a tiny fick of his tounge and wham he grabbed it and wrapped it in a ball of snake : ) Seems he either can't tell the difference or he just doesn't care as long as it's warm and has fur.

...Now, what to do with all the mice I have left : /

Just me and my zoo.

The Royal Scandal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  10:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats!

0.1.0 Royal Python, Jessie
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  10:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats!

Now you'll have to buy another snake to eat the leftover mice!

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  18:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
exactly what i thought, new snake!!! (its always good to have an excuse, even a weak one!)

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  19:15:39  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cong'Rats' now about all those leftover micicles weeeeeel...
gotta be a new snake, life is tough sometimes but what else yah gonna do?

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  00:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, stick with the rats.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  10:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone : )

But you are all very mean, giving me the idea to get another snake X ) That's not fair putting that in my head!
Anyway, I have no room for another snake (unless I can stack the vivs *ponders thought momentarily*) and I'm skint, no more moneies for another viv set-up! Aaand I'm getting my Dragons soon and their viv set-up is going to cost more than Tig's did, so I need the money for that... so there! X )
My mam says she'll have the smaller ones for when her Corn is bigger, and the jumbo ones I'm gunna try and sell. They're not old, only got them the other week, so they should be fine for another snake to have.

Yeah, I will keep to rats now, but the petshop had to ask for that size espesialy for me (don't know why, but it's a local guy that they get them off so maybe that's got something to do with it) so I just have to remember to order them in before I run out.

A question: I feed Tig once a week at the minuet, on a Monday, should this change now he's on bigger prey/rats? He does ask for his food every week still and obviously still shows interest, should I go with how often he's asking?

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  10:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I`d stick with whats working until he`s up to the 7-800g mark, then slow it down a little.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 09/03/2011 10:55:56
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  10:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know rats are supposed to offer more in the way of nutrition, but it seems to me that if it isn't broke, why fix it? Mine lives on small mice, one a week, and he's growing fine, eating well, and in super health. Why disrupt his routine by introducing another prey item (not a problem for mine, as I get the feeling he would eat anything I put in front of him)?

I may decide to change his diet when he gets larger, but getting him onto rats at the earliest opportunity as I often see recommended here seems unecessary if all is otherwise well.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  14:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snecklifter

I know rats are supposed to offer more in the way of nutrition, but it seems to me that if it isn't broke, why fix it?

Because one day you`ll have a much larger Royal and you may end up having to give it 4-5 mice where 1 rat would do the same. Down to cost, convenience and nutrition.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  08:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Is that what he should weigh? I don't know how much he weighs 'cause I've never done it. I'll have to look at my never-used scales to see if I can translate what they mean...

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  10:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blackecho's feeding table (find it works well for my lot.)

0-400g - feed every 5 days
400-800g - feed every 7 days
800-1200g - every 10 days
1200g+ - every 14 days

Feed 10/15% of the snake's body weight.

Maybe your Mum or Dad could help you weigh Tig? And the shop will be able to tell you the average weight of the rats.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  10:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BATS : )

I've writen that down and, yeah, I'll show my mam and she'll translate for me. He is getting hevier, I can definatly tell, so weighing him is probably a good idea anyway.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  15:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

quote:
Originally posted by Snecklifter

I know rats are supposed to offer more in the way of nutrition, but it seems to me that if it isn't broke, why fix it?

Because one day you`ll have a much larger Royal and you may end up having to give it 4-5 mice where 1 rat would do the same. Down to cost, convenience and nutrition.

Erm, I did say that i may decide to change the prey when he gets older, but I didn't see the need to change the diet at the earliest opportunity, if waht i'm feeding him now is working fine...

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  16:12:36  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its because they get set in their ways, the older they get, the harder it is to get them off mice and on to rats.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  17:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I just ask about feeding too!! We got our fella last Thursday. He was on medium mice. Fed him today he took a 20g mouse for me. He's only 137gso bit more than 10% I would like to get him onto rats asap but the small weaners at our local are 30-60g so thinking they are gonna be a bit large for him as Laila is on them and she's 300g+ just thinking rat fuzzies might be too small for him. So in your opinion would you stick to mice til he's bigger then try weaners?

2.4.0 Royal python
0.0.2 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Extreme red Albino Hognose
2.2.1 Crested Gecko
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  11:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I say my petshop were able to order in the size that Tig needed especialy for him, so maybe yours could do the same? Just let them know the size and I'm sure they'll be able to help you : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  11:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, 'Fella' needs to be on rat fluffs - these are 20gm average. They're pretty widely available and as Bluedragon says, the shop could maybe order in some for you.

If he'll take rats, it's best to keep him on them - save you a lot of faffing about in the future and more nourishing for him too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000