Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 How attached can a royal get to an owner?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Royal Scandal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  10:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that snakes dont have the same capacity to get attached to their owners or even recognise them like some pets, like dogs, do.

However, to what extent can a royal come to associate you with some familiarity? I've read that smell can be a factor, using the same handwash as well as your natural smell. Are there any other factors by which a royal can associate you with anything more than the big thing that picks them up occasionally?

0.1.0 Royal Python, Jessie

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  11:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't exactly use the word attached but i think reptiles are far smarter than people give credit for, i've seen monitor lizards that are able to count upto 6 and tell the difference between colours and associate them with different things like food.

I think after time a snake will get to know the scent of the owner which will help them be at ease when being handles, diablo comes straight out the viv onto my hand these days, that might be because he's just fearless and active or could be because he no longer associates me as a threat.

One of the things that made me fall in love with reptiles is how logical they are and how they're not ran by emotions. Look at bear training, a man can break the spirit of a bear and force him to do cruel things (like dancing) almost driving the animal insane. If you hit a bear with a whip it'll bite your face off, if you hit it sixty times it'll be less aggressive, i can't honestly say that i can see a reticulated python letting you hit it without throwing a coil around you and ending your existane whether you do it once or a hundred times. Straying off subject a bit there..

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  11:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes definitely have their own brand of highly evolved intelligence and are superbly aware of their surroundings, hence the need for a settling-in period in a new home to reduce stress, so I reckon they get used to an owner, if only as a familiar rock or tree on the savannah of the living room ...

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  14:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They most certainly do recognise the scent of people and learn to trust certain scents as a result. I have a lemon pastel who is fine when I handle her but is really jumpy when my partner does largely because my partner once tried to help her with a bad shed and she didn't like it and tagged her a few days later I was handling her and as I passed her over to my partner whilst I cleaned her viv out she bit her again!! and was perfectly fine when I took her back so they do remember and it is down to scent.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  15:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats amazing rob i didn't think they would have the memory for something like that.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  19:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say with the teeth they have, quite well attached!

Go to Top of Page

The Royal Scandal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  19:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I'd say with the teeth they have, quite well attached!

lol, probably should have seen that one coming!

0.1.0 Royal Python, Jessie
Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  07:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As everyone here probably knows, a snake's number one sense is smell, with vipers and royals having heat sensing as an additional talent. Virtually all animals are capable of associating smells, sounds or visual stimuli with experiences. If an object is new to an animal it usually treats it with caution. If it has a negative experience with the object it remembers this for future reference. The same if the experience is positive.
Regarding royals, and indeed other snakes, I think affection is something they do not have. Over time your snake will recognize you as harmless and even better a source of food.
As Terry Pratchett once wrote about cats (yes, I know snakes aren't cats); They only tolerate us until somebody invents a tin opener that can be operated by paw.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  11:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strawb

As everyone here probably knows, a snake's number one sense is smell, with vipers and royals having heat sensing as an additional talent. Virtually all animals are capable of associating smells, sounds or visual stimuli with experiences. If an object is new to an animal it usually treats it with caution. If it has a negative experience with the object it remembers this for future reference. The same if the experience is positive.
Regarding royals, and indeed other snakes, I think affection is something they do not have. Over time your snake will recognize you as harmless and even better a source of food.
As Terry Pratchett once wrote about cats (yes, I know snakes aren't cats); They only tolerate us until somebody invents a tin opener that can be operated by paw.

LOL - and if someone did, the cat would hand it back to the human:

'Here, slave, you do it. What do you think I keep you for?'

I love my cats, I really do, but, honestly, sometimes!!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  21:34:02  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats what i like about snakes. My dogs NEED ME, and i love being needed by them. They give me love,unconditional love, cuddles and more exercise than i can take!

My snakes give me chill out time, and dont need me at all apart from the obvious supplying of food and heat. They dont tell me off for being out too late and they dont even know if i dont come home one night. They do however, know if someone else puts their hand in their viv or reaches out to hold them. TRUST is what a snake knows and relies on in our care.

Husbands?....anyone know what we keep them for?....(ducks the hurl of abuse)...only joking guys!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lancelot
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:38:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heat sensing can be a pain - let's avoid the cup of tea time.

I do find uncertain areas, people, situations, handling she finds a way to safety (me)
Body language and aiming to put her head inside my hands cocooning her head (no pressure, what so ever - handling mechanism i use with budgies bodies because they can be so fragile) taking away many senses seems to happen when allot is happening around us which is like a burry my head under a pillow and hope it will all go away reaction. She knows i'm her reach for freedom and i ovoid restraint on where she goes although she does have a habit of aiming for inside speakers which is a big no no now after an hours worth of breaking into the speaker with it's many screws, sigh.

First bath in warm water was difficult but once she understood head always stay above water unless she wants so do otherwise. They definitely have a leaning compactly. The question i'd like to ask is how small are the brains in size because so much is just jaw ???? from what i've experienced she's bright but with what ?? it must be tiny

Edited by - Lancelot on 11/03/2011 19:39:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000