New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pete171
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  22:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunny has just shed with me for the first time, about two weeks after his first feed with me.

After feeding he hid in his hides and didn't come out. I only realised when doing a spot check, that he was shedding in bits a couple of days ago.

I increased the humidity and it appears to have worked. My question is, would it be obvious if he had retained his eye caps as i'm not sure. Any help with this would be appreciated.

sullysteve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  06:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I was you I would try and find the skin from the head.

If the eye caps are retained, you will see that there is little or no reflection when light is on them.

Ta
Go to Top of Page

pete171
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  07:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the shed was in so many bits it was difficult to tell what part was from the head. I have also thrown it away. It does seem like there is reflection on the eyes, so looks like was succesful.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  11:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on his first shed. Sorry, don't mean to be a know-all but my lad had a few 'shreds' like this, and although his eyecaps came off ok, his tailtip got stuck every time and had to be eased off with the help of a damp towel. A couple of my corns do the same thing, just with the very tip of the tail, and it can be unnoticeable.

Sorry I'm fussing - with any luck he's got the whole thing off by himself.

Go to Top of Page

pete171
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  21:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that advice BATS. Although it looked ok, I will double check.
Go to Top of Page

gary
Yearling

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  14:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi bats i have noticed my reggie has some thing on his eyes but it was 5months ago it shed but when i looked at his eye lens it looks like something is there unless i am seeing things this is on both eyes what shall i do plz reply

1xgtp 1xjungel carpet python 1x normal royal 1x100% pastel boa 1x pueblan 1x cali king
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  14:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Gary, I'm afraid I've never had to deal with eyecaps (touch wood!) but there are plenty of experienced people on here who can help. All I know is this:

One sign of stuck eyecaps is a 'cracked' appearance, and there is a good sticky on here about using 'viscotears' to help off stuck eyecaps. Also the old rub and damp towel method for 20 mins or so to provide the necessary humidity to allow the old eyecaps to shed.

If what you're seeing is just a 'dint' in the eyecaps, it can simply mean that Reggie is due to shed. Though it's a good idea to up humidity if you see this (ie waterbowl at hot end.)

Could be a good idea to start another thread with pics to establish what the problem is - as I say, there are more experienced people than me who can advise.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

gary
Yearling

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  18:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bats that is how it looks cracked appearance its only how ive seen it when i taken him out in the garden when it was sunny thats when i saw it so who do i ask for to HELP

1xgtp 1xjungel carpet python 1x normal royal 1x100% pastel boa 1x pueblan 1x cali king
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000