New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  16:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually posed this question on a separate thread, but nobody answered, so I thought I'd try again.
As some of you may know my royal Tia is 3 years old and seriously under size and weight for her age. She's now fattening up nicely which leads me to this question: Do snakes that are small due to inadequate feeding, eventually attain full size when properly cared for?
Tia's only 80cm long and weighs 576g, could she still grow to 140cm and 1500g despite the bad start in life?
I know BATS would also like an answer to this question.

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  16:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are all different shapes and sizes so catching up is an unknown but growing to their full potential when cared for properly is a yes most definitely.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  17:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hope so as my female is a year old and each month breaks BE's lightest royal chart lol

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  17:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still think there are genetically small snakes, and I have a poor-feeding corn who is a morph said to stay on the small side (Miami) but yes, it would be interesting to know if snakes who are poor feeders/fed an inadequate diet will catch up.

(No offence meant, by the way, to people who have been given advice re feeding that is, by modern standards, inadequate. There is still a lot of feeding advice about that is antiquated, I understand - such as shop 'maintenance' diet etc. I didn't realise this myself until I started on the forums - luckily before I got my royals, and the corns were such gannets they demanded enough!)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000