Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  16:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

so we got zac today , weighed him and took some sneaky pics , hes 208g let me kno if u think the set up looks ok :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  16:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...And another royal addict joins the club ....

Congrats! He's gorgeous, setup looks great, and again,

HAPPY SNAKEDAY!

Welcome home Zac, and Kai too!

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  16:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do u think it looks ok for him? we have tried to pack it out as he is 9 months old weighs 208g . we have the cold end temps at 75 and the hot end (on the substrate by his hide under the light) is 89.8 is that about rite ? we havent seen him since we put him in lol , leaving him be . kai on the other hand is laying across the front of his faun bold as brass :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  17:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - that's corns for you! Yes, Zac will either go into hiding or zoom around and trash the place - be prepared for it looking as if a bomb's hit it when you get up tomorrow.

It looks nicely packed out to me - plenty of cover and that's what royals like. I'm useless at converting temps - I think in terms of cold end 26c, hot end 32c, if that's any help. It looks great.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  17:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Another new royal owner with a better looking setup than me.

Looks nice mate grats on the new addition

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  18:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, set up looks great, hope Zac likes it, keep us informed how he's doing. Cant wait for mine
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  18:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just looked at the temps and they are running 26.3 in cold side and 32.3 in the hot we got the probes i dont kno i u can see from the pics just outside his rock cave to get the reading , however on the top of the hide it was reading alot higher ? is this normal? i kno hes not ontop of the rock cave , and we have the probe on the substrate by his cave enterance as he will be laying just inside there? i think ontop of the cave it was 96 F ? but i imagine the closer u get to the bulb the warmer it gets and its hooked up to a stat on a guard? i cant wait to see him come out!

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  18:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Set up looks great! Think he will be very happy!! They have such different personalities to corns, but just as addictive

2.4.0 Royal python
0.0.2 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Extreme red Albino Hognose
2.2.1 Crested Gecko
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  19:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks :) i cant wait for a few more weeks and when we get the first few feeds done , i dont think my missus will let me have another royal tho haha! i have promised no more now , eeeeeeeehehehe !

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  19:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

just looked at the temps and they are running 26.3 in cold side and 32.3 in the hot we got the probes i dont kno i u can see from the pics just outside his rock cave to get the reading , however on the top of the hide it was reading alot higher ? is this normal? i kno hes not ontop of the rock cave , and we have the probe on the substrate by his cave enterance as he will be laying just inside there? i think ontop of the cave it was 96 F ? but i imagine the closer u get to the bulb the warmer it gets and its hooked up to a stat on a guard? i cant wait to see him come out!

Sounds pretty spot on to me - yes, even a little mound of aspen will register a few degrees more than the floor, and as for the top of a hide ...but, the snake will probably be IN the hide. I measure temps at floor level where the snake usually is, especially at the hot end - personally, if I didn't I'd go round the bend, I'd be an even battier Bats! But if anyone thinks different, please say so (even if I won't be able to get my head round it lol.)

Just seen your sig, very nice, and as for your caramel motley corn ...aah! Beauty! (Must stop yearning after more corns ...)

Edited by - n/a on 01/04/2011 19:50:57
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  20:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shes a beaut eh ? we just had her out and shes chilled out , likes to hide in her faun , but little kai wow hes a nosey thing , hes been all over his viv! theres a debate as to weather kai is a hypo butter or not , some say amel , i think hes abit creamsicle , i guess we will find out as he gets bigger . in the light he is def lighter and the colour on his back isnt red its like a caramel / browny tan more than red .

i cant wait for zac to zoom about and adjust to his new pad! i couldnt believe he weighed 208 , i kno thats not so much compare to some of the big balls on here (ehehe - chilish humor) but it still suprised me as the corns are only 26 grams each!

any advice or things to remember with a royal ? :)

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  20:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww what a lovely looking little boy. Now your officially in the gang PMSL.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  20:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, but im afraid you`ll have to rename him as this forum isn`t big enough for 2 Zac`s

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  20:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

Congratulations, but im afraid you`ll have to rename him as this forum isn`t big enough for 2 Zac`s

Oh I don't know, if it makes you both happy, could describe it as Pro-Zac!

Erm, now everyone's wondering why the mods don't censor awful jokes ...

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  20:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aaha im sure we have enough room for two zac's , :) and yay for being in the gang! :) i would like a bumblebee or mojave

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  21:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like your making plans. I would reccommend a Boa next, Sanke has me well amused specially the stench I was greeted with this morning.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  21:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha naa we have no more room for anymore now , and we have spent a fortune in the last month going from no snakes to three ! we got our first the first of march and zac the first of april lol . who knew they were this addictive , but we really have no more room now . thanks for ur set up advice lotabob , as u can see form pics its perfect how u once suggested . we still havent seen zac hoping we will see him exploring soon . hes been fed weekly to date on small mice and they moved him up to medium last week , they suggested we feed him tomorro , but i feel it may be too soon as we have only just had him xx

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  21:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a Royal, exploring is a solitary activity. I only ever see a face out of the hide, I should have bought a tortoise, they look the same. I know he's been out while I'm in bed though, the viv is usually trashed, everything out of place with huge bits where the substrate has been pushed away.

There is a snake motto that you need to learn, its latin but you'll get the jist; Theroso iso alwayso roomio forth anotherthial serpento.

I would leave a whole 7 days at least before attempting a feed and don't be downhearted if he turns his nose up, Duke took three weeks to settle and eat but now he is the dustbin of the group, he eats anything put in his food bowl (yep he eats out of a bowl). They say to get them onto rats as soon as they will take them so that will be a fun project for you. There is no harm at this stage with mice its just you'll run out of mouse sizes before they stop growing and after a good run of mice it may be difficult to switch them so maybe throw in the odd rat and see what happens. Oh and get ready to be amazed at how they stand right up to swallow.

Your setup looks good, and working well, I would consider switching to Infra red if only for your benefit, its much softer for you and snakes prefer it too.

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  21:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovely snake

welcome to the world of royals

God luck

2.4.0 Royal python
0.0.2 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Extreme red Albino Hognose
2.2.1 Crested Gecko
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  21:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

There is a snake motto that you need to learn, its latin but you'll get the jist; Theroso iso alwayso roomio forth anotherthial serpento.

LOL! How very very true!

Mods: sticky status please!

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  21:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heres another latin saying themissosso wont letio mi havio anotherthial serpento . haha! we will pick some up and try them , what size rat matches a medium mouse ? we are only used to dealing with fluffs! lol . i cant wait to see him eat altho i kno it could be abit stressful as he may not wat straight away . we picked up a 100 watt infra red bulb and ceramic holder instead of the plastic one , originally had a 75w but didnt seem to hold temps and the bulb was blaring n whereas we have seen this one dim down .

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000