New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  13:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have one for zac and i felt the bottom of it (directly under the light) and it felt really warm to the touch , is this normal? the sides arent has hot as the bottom , was just wondering could he still burn himself? im guessing tho that he cant wrap around the bottom ? xx

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  13:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It should be hot but not hot enough to burn. Well at least it shouldn't be anyway. My guards bottom gets warm but I can touch it no problems without it been uncomfortable, though the heat thrown out from the bulb heats me up very quickly and I have to move for that reason the same effect that the snakes will feel. Its other job is to stop big strong snakes squeezing and smashing the bulb.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  13:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okies , i was just gettin worried incase it was too hot but the sides arent as hot as the bottom , its a 100 w inra red , in a 30 x 18 x 15 viv ? is it too big ? we have a smaller 75 w one , but the room with no heating isnt as warm see . the cold end now reads 23.8 with no heating on , the thermom is under a big piece of cork bark , and we have a glass one that read about 77 -78 . the warm end is at 31.5 atm x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  13:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shahi has sometimes performed gymnastics on his bulb guard. When he was tiny he had a mat, before I learned about royals and mats, and the arrival of his bulb guard thrilled him no end. Thought it was a climbing frame. Look Lil, no hands!

Luckily the novelty soon wore off, and he didn't take any harm from it. I've just measured the temps of a guard with the infra red gun; the sides are 48c and the bottom's over a 100 ... this may not be accurate because of the holes in the guard of course. Also a snake wrapped round a guard has its facial heat pits very close to the source of heat, unlike a large royal coiled on a mat with its nose up on top of its coils; at any rate Shahi was fine.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  13:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks lil puttin my mind at ease , i watched zac zoom about last nite and put his face by the guard , he didnt stay by it long as there were too many other things he needed to investigate ! lol . im sure he will try and wrap himself round at some point and then loose interest .

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  13:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey just an update , i touched the bottom of the bulb guard and it was actually really hot , uncomfortably so ? the sides arent tho just the bottom , any suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  14:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm, I don't think there's much you can do, other than build your own guard - something I planned to do myself at first. I had visions of a home-built viv with a generous mesh partition at one end, with its own door that could simply be opened to change the bulb ...utopia eh?

The commercial guards aren't ideal, but on the other hand I've never ever heard of them burning a royal. A small slim snake could possibly get inside the guard and certainly I would never use one of these guards with my smaller corns. I WOULD like to see a bigger guard with smaller gauge mesh for sale, but so far have never encountered it.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  14:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im just abit worried as it was realy hot under the bottom , the sides i can touch which is the part he would wrap around , just worried about the bottom . my other probem im having is the cod end when we wake up in a morning is only 22 and the hot 30 , when we have the heating on its 32 and 26 ? if i put a smaller wattage bulb in , would that stop the guard getting so hot ? or will it not make much of a diference?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  14:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

im just abit worried as it was realy hot under the bottom , the sides i can touch which is the part he would wrap around , just worried about the bottom . my other probem im having is the cod end when we wake up in a morning is only 22 and the hot 30 , when we have the heating on its 32 and 26 ? if i put a smaller wattage bulb in , would that stop the guard getting so hot ? or will it not make much of a diference?

No, because the stat will keep adjusting it. As for the lower night temps, many people feel that this is a good thing and arrange for them to be lower at night. I don't (I've enough problems getting my head round the dratted stats lol) but others more experienced can advise as to this being too much of a drop. He will certainly thermoregulate if he's too cold - I can't see 30 being too bad a night-time temp?

I'm not a technician, I'm afraid, I just go round cursing at the stats, but other people will explain better.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  14:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol thanks :) i feel stressed lol , snakes who would have em ? they hide most of the time (apart frm kai , i swear he waved at me earlier, he is the least shy snake i have ever met! ) they can go off food, cant tell us whats up , stinky poop's , bite , but we love them and are always after more! lol!
i cant think of a way of heating cold ends more than that other than having the heating on all the time (dont think the OH would let me haa! ) with the heating on they rise to the correct temps 32 / 26 give or take . im still amazed when i see zac out , hes bigger than i thought !

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  15:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - join the club - you're addicted - it's agony but like you say, we just want more of the pesky little gits!

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  15:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i kno! im a born worrier so i think i got more i would be a wreck ! altho i would love an anery , i have seen lotabob's boa pics , but we have said we arent having more......

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000