Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  20:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a little update. The Royal has now had 5 shots of her antibiotic. She fed last Sunday for me, but had a little wobbler before hand. Her head was shaking and her movement was sort of jerky. Today when I got her out to give her the shot she did a mit of cork screwing but stopped after about 30 seconds. I'm not altogether sure the treatment is working. Gonna bring her back to the vets on Monday.

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  20:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, was wondering how she was doing. If she's feeding, well, that's half the battle, and will stand her her in good stead.

Poor little girl, hope she improves soon.

All the best.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  20:36:57  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good luck, must be such a worry. Have you looked into IBD? Dont want to bear bad news but does sound symptomatic of this.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  20:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

Good luck, must be such a worry. Have you looked into IBD? Dont want to bear bad news but does sound symptomatic of this.

I may be wrong but my understanding is that if it was to be IBD she'd most likely have died by this stage? The first occurrence of these symptoms was at the start of January, and she's been eating well since then.

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  20:59:02  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dont know enough about it so hope you are right.

Go to Top of Page

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  21:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

I dont know enough about it so hope you are right.

Cheers, I hope so too

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  22:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah royals have a very short lifespan with IBD I'm lead to believe it's like weeks more than months

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  00:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any news on this one fella? Been keeping the old fingers crossed for a swift recovery.

Go to Top of Page

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  15:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Any news on this one fella? Been keeping the old fingers crossed for a swift recovery.

Yep. I couldn't actually get to the vets until Wednesday evening. The Vet sees a big improvement in her. He couldn't get her on to her back, and she was able to pas the other little tests on her balance and reactions. He also says it's a good sign that she's still alive....he says the possibility of IBD passes each times he sees her.
However, I had a brief handle this morning, and she started corkscrewing, went rock hard and let out a big breath. I thought she was dying in my hands. I then put her back in her tank. She then started moving about with her mouth open
I gave her half an hour and held her again, this time she was completely normal....aware, inquisitive and able to pass one of the tests the vet showed me.

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  16:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope everything goes ok , ive been following the thread for awhile . sounds silly but what do u mean whne u say cork skrewing?

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  16:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's strange ...

You know, this reminds me so much of a cat I once knew who was badly injured in his youth (but who lived to a ripe old age and enjoyed life very much I might add.) He'd run down the path to meet you, collapse on his backside and go over sideways, then pick himself up and carry on ...

I wonder if, at some point before you got her, this snake has suffered spinal or neurological damage, and is now just showing the effects? The vet's verdict is very promising, and at least, being a snake and in a safe environment, she's protected if she does corkscrew or wobble. Even if she carries on like this, I don't think it will impair her quality of life and, personally, I always think the special needs ones are the special ones, myself.

All the very best with her.

Go to Top of Page

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  16:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

hope everything goes ok , ive been following the thread for awhile . sounds silly but what do u mean whne u say cork skrewing?

This is a severe case of corkscrewing. Thankfully my girl isn't this bad......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTLguf2TM74

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  23:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is looking like good news. Well still a bit of a way to go yet but like its been said if it was the dreaded IBD it would have been curtains a while back. I'm pleased to here progress has been made.

Go to Top of Page

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  19:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just another little bit of news.

I decided to feed the little Royal on Sunday. When I took her from her tank to place her in the feeding tub there was the faintest hint of corkscrewing.......if I hadn't seen her her at her worst I wouldn't have recognised it, if ya know what I mean?
Anyway, I offered her the mouse, and she showed no real interest, which didn't surprise me considering the stress of injections and long drives to the vets, so I just left the mouse in the viv for her. About 45 minutes later she appeared from her hide, the tongue going like mad, and made her way to the hide with the mouse, and proceeded to eat :)
Later that night she came out to have a drink and thermo-regulate. Yesterday she appeared a few times to move hides, and today when I gave her her injection there was no sign of any illness at all.
Now she's hanging out of a hide wondering if the smell of mice defrosting is for her or not! :)
I don't want to to disappoint her by telling her that it isn't lol.

I sorta think the worst might be behind her lol. I'll continue with her injections, whilst trying to give her her relative peace until her vet appointment on the 6th of May.

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  19:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great news mate, always good when an ill snake eats something :D

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  19:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds really positive - and sounds like she's enjoying life too.

All the best with her - keep us posted.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  19:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats brilliant news, its like a royal signal that things are going well when they eat. I'm so pleased for you.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  08:33:08  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great news, got everything crossed for you.

Go to Top of Page

Headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  13:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit of bad news I'm afraid. I removed the snake from her viv last night to give her another injection and she wasn't too well. Again she coiled up around my hand and went as hard as a rock. She let out a long breath that sounded like a hiss, and her tongue was hanging out while her mouth was closed very tight. She then proceeded to go to the toilet after which there appeared to to be a very noticeable dent in her back half, which did appear normal when I put her back. She stayed like that for about a while 2 or 3 minutes, and when she finally relaxed she was extremely nervous. My brother in law (who held her for the injection) remarked that she felt floppy.
Now the first time the I brought her to the vets he gave her an anti inflammatory as well as the antibiotic, and looking through the notes I've made, she was showing the same symptoms just over a week after, and that seems to have repeated itself this time. I'm thinking that she may need the anti inflammatories on a more regular basis?
Unfortunately due to the holidays I'm unable to get to the vets until this coming Thursday :(

This whole episode has also had a bad effect on my snake keeping confidence. I'm asking myself if I'm keeping her too hot or too cold, and if I'm honest since she became ill I have tampered with it a bit. I'm now sure that my second guessing of myself probably is not helping her recovery. At the minute the thermostat probe is reading 32.6 Celsius at ground level right under her ceramic. the middle of the tank is just over 80f and the cool end is just about 23c. Is this too cold? The viv is heated by a pulse statted 100 Watt ceramic. I've just put a thermometer into the middle hide to get a reading there, as maybe the temperature inside the hides is too cool? She's in the hot end hide at the mo, and when I lifted her last night I found her in the cool end.
Humidity wise during the day it reads between 40 and 50 percent on one of the exo terra dial gauges. At night it seems to be at a level 50. I suppose this is down to the night time temp drop? Incidentally, the basking spot at night is around 29c. When I 1st got the Royal I was told here, and on other forums, not to worry to much as the various gauges were all a bit iffy. I mist the tank every 3rd day and any time she's shed there haven't been any real problems...just a retained tail tip the 1st time.

The second guessing is also spreading to my other snakes.....all colubrids, the first of which I got 2 years ago. I had a little bit of trouble at the very start with him (my room is a converted attic and getting the correct temps took a while to sort) but since then he and the others have been fine....eating, pooping, shedding well and actively doing what snakes are supposed to do.

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  13:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can understand the confidence knock but there is nothing you could have done to prevent what is happening and its through no fault of your own. Your getting the same humidity readings as me almost exactly but I don't mist the cage so I would suggest not misting or altering humidity unless a shed is on its way. Temperature wise if your hot spot temperature is reacting to the drop in temperature at night it sounds to me like the bulb is maxing out and it may be beneficial to get a higher wattage, its not that its urgent though, your temperatures aren't bad its just dropping 4oC that it doesn't need to and its suggesting that should it drop much colder your bulb might not be able to keep up. Your ambient is lower than I aim for (25-26oC) but is by no means in the danger zone either but again a larger wattage bulb will most likely up the ambient too.

Thats just in comparison for what I aim for in my Royal viv and by no means suggesting that your temperatures & humidity are in any way wrong. I would be the same as you though if I was dealing with what you are, second guessing everything I do, actually third guessing, I already do the second guessing.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000