Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  10:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'd always understood it was illegal here - that's why I wondered if there was an embargo on discussing it. I believe, though, that there is some sort of loophole that permits you to feed live if your snake refuses to eat prekilled, and would otherwise starve to death, but even so you're advised not to publicise the fact ...may have got my wires crossed a little here, but I believe that's the gist.

But 'humane' rodent poison is still widely available. I've seen a sick rat several days after the council operative came to put down poison on the site where I had an allotment. Humane? Luckily I was able to finish the job instantly.

I really really wouldn't want to feed live unless I was forced, but snakes are far more humane in their methods.

Edited by - n/a on 06/04/2011 10:48:37
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  11:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah I was always under the impression is was okay if your snake refused other methods otherwise its cruelty to the snake.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  11:53:47  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I see, maybe if i found frozen rodents i wouldn't think of live ones to feed my snake.
Anyway, the hamster i get is too small to harm Blitz, so i'm NOT afrair of this threat, I'm just afraid of refusing Blitz to eat hamster, since he is used to feed on chicks.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

Edited by - Tawfik47 on 07/04/2011 08:11:41
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  14:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I can see another downside to live feeding ...

Blitz refuses a couple of times more (nothing to worry about, I might add) and in the meantime you've got attached to the hamster lol!

I suppose if chicks are what he's used to, it might be an idea to let him go on eating them until he's feeding well for you. (And in the meantime you will have definitely got attached to Hammy ...) But I would definitely try to get him on to hamsters, as chicks have absolutely no nutriment ... it's a bit like letting a child off eating a good dinner and then allowing him to fill up on crisps.

One feeding tip that's said to work very well is to put a live rodent's cage within sight and smell of the snake's viv, so that it can watch the rodent. This shouldn't stress out the rodent, and while you may be tantalising your snake, that's what you want to happen - when the rodent (or another prekilled rodent) goes into the cage, the snake may grab!

Edited by - n/a on 07/04/2011 11:18:19
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  08:11:07  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Seems to me a good idea :D
I'll try to put the hamster in a container without lid and put it in Blitz viv. So if he feels hungry he will go for the hamster, and in the same time the hamster can jump out of the container and freak Blitz :)

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  11:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, no, sorry, I didn't put that very well. I should have said, within sight and smell of the snake's viv, so that the snake can see and smell the hamster but not actually get at it, and vice versa, to get the snake all excited about the next meal. Will amend my last post.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  11:36:24  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You mean put hamster viv close to Blitz viv ?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  11:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, so that Blitz can watch it and even smell it and work up an appetite.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  13:12:12  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'll going to do that as soon as i get home :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000