Posted - 14/04/2011 :  20:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has he been to the toilet recently?

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  21:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, sorry, missed this thread. It is easy to miss the blue phase with a shy snake, done it loads of times with my lot, but it could simply be his settling in mode. Weight sounds fine - yes, as Hodgie says, could be due to taking a dump or wee, that slight loss. Is there a nice wet patch in his enclosure? Even if not, it's no big deal.

He'll get there.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  00:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey yeah he had pooped a week or so ago , nice big one , would that have made some difference? we got him out for like 2 secs and he didnt look like he was in shed , but apart from the blue eyes not so sure what im looking at to be honest lol . we tried warming the mouse with a hairdryer , but to no avail . does the viv size sound ok for him ?

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  07:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

hey yeah he had pooped a week or so ago , nice big one , would that have made some difference?

Yes that will be the difference. Do you keep feeding records? if so you need a space on them for toilet, then you always weigh after, so you have the empty weight.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  09:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup got feeding records n wen he poops :) glad that its a normal amount x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  10:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, you've got corns, and royals aren't that different during shed. You've probably noticed a corn looking dusty or dull before blue - the dark markings of a normal royal can look as if it's been dusted with flour. Another sign you may notice is that the belly scales go slightly pinker (but this doesn't always happen.) Then the blue phase, and then the clear-eyed shiny phase - and then the shed.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  12:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Duke pooped he went from 714 grams to 612 grams. It was an enourmous log he laid with three urates too. I wouldn't worry at all by even big weight drops after a poo, I only weigh Duke after he poops now, but was interesting to see the drop in my records.

I noticed a big difference in temprement when he was about to shed, before any visual signs appeared, he got all hissy and defensive, I took notice and left him alone, and about a week later he was deep in blue (though I missed the start of it, I was away for the weekend). He looked far more blue than my corn does it was amazing to see and then he shed in secret (or so he thinks, I saw the last bit lol) at 5am.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  15:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest we haven't seen him out at all lately . Normally about 2 am u can catch him ( I'm home from work @ 12 and wind down for ages) but we only saw him we wen had him out . I think he's took the hump coz the enterance to his hide he's pushed all the substrate in it so we can't see him at all , miserable sod . We will leave him be , I'm sure he will eat wen he is ready . Gonna get a few more thing to pack his viv out with . Is 30 x 18 x 15 ok ? U all said before that's its fine , I'm just a worry bucket . Be interesdting to see if he does shed tho . Kai the corn is in blue atm , he's normally a cheeky active chappy but he's gone all sulky bless him xx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  15:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does sound like shedding mode, bless him. All mine barricade themselves in like that with the substrate - when they get in their hides the aspen gets out!

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  16:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup grumpy boy , we have had him 2 weeks today so its still settling in , and from what u have all said a potential shed on the way . Went to the shop to get some more bits for his viv and they said he's normally a brill feeder so its either due to shed or still settling . We asked how they defrosted the mouse and we normally put it in a bag and then defrost it , but they put the mouse straight in luke warm water , so may give the soggy mouse a go . Its more diff as he is our first royal , whereas the corns we can spot how they change / shed etc , but with a shy zac we haven't seen him , bless . I looked @ pics of royals and said to my OH "we own one of them...somewhere" lol x

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000