New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  09:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have a fiend who has a fear of snakes and would like to overcome it. while she was round the other day she asked to see the snakes at some point. so while she was talking to the other half i went up stairs and got clover, best one of my 3 imo to help her she small and chilled. i wasn't thinking and when i walked into the lounge with her forgot to tell them and she went pale.

but after a few mins she came over and stroked her, but declined a hold. maybe after a while she will come to love snakes

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  10:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more contact with snakes she has the better. I've known people who were scared of snakes and I showed them mine (snake that is for all you dirty minded readers).
At first they didn't want to touch them, but they were also curious. They then touched them. First reaction is often to stare at their finger and then they're always surprised when it's dry. After a while they stroke them. By the end of one evening one woman was holding my corn, Mixi. She even said later that she thought he was lovely.
It just goes to show.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  12:31:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My father was terrified of snakes as you may recall me saying when I got my first Royal, last week he helped me hold down Pandora for her injection :) just keep throwing snakes at her (not literally of course) and eventually she'll get better

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  13:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's really heartwarming. I know snake phobia is very genuine, but at the same time conventional attitudes to snakes do reinforce it. Which is so unfair, to both people and snakes! Even a severe phobia can be overcome with therapy - looks like your friend is well on her way to overcoming her fear with a little help from you and Clover, as Strawb says.

And as for your father, Kelfezond, being terrified and then finding himself equal to holding a 7' boa for injections, well, good on him, that's brilliant.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  14:40:52  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have a huge phobia of spiders, so big i can faint if one suprises me like if a house spider is on me or runs at me. when i forst asked my mother about getting a snake she made the joke "if you buy a snake ill buy a pet spider" but my dad was happy at the thought of getting a snake. after about 3 months she came round to the idea after holding a baby corn snake in my local pet shop. i now have 3 snakes and she will quite happily hold them for when i clean out tanks and talks to them when there out and about in there cages. my gran is scared of snakes but is not willing to try and get over the fear. she has touched the snakes but a quick touch and then runs away. i will never force her to ever get over it but it would be nice if she wanted to get over it.

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  11:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know how bad a fear can be, i myself am scared stiff of spiders. so much so that when getting timber out of the sheds at work i have to check every peice, much to the amusment of my boss and work mates.

im not gonna push our friend to hold clover but let her take her time and do it when she is ready. she did say after that she was more relaxed doing it in our home than anywhere eles, she is a trainiee vet nurse and comes across snakes at collage and feels like everyone is looking at her when they are about as they know she has a fear

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  11:23:25  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lol it seems snake love is hand in hand with spider fear, I do the same thing when unloading wood lol, on many occasions my parents have woke up in the morning to find an upside down glass trapping a spider on the floor and a note saying 'got halfway through the process and got scared, please dispose of this'

And repdan my nan is the same, she doesn't just fear them she hates them, spent the last month telling my sisters not to let my nephews in my room because of the snakes and is constantly showing my mother stupid newspaper articles about snake attacks, bloody woman! Last one she brought over I took a marker pen to it and corrected all the stupid media fear mongering things in it.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  11:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can't even put a glass over spiders. i even find boxes on my bench at work, 'whats that, i didn't put that there' and on lifting box a find a big spider and everyone laughing

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  11:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha thats evil! I can put a glass over a spider the hardest part is resisting the urge to put a glass on it and not a brick, I hate the things they all need to perish! Along with wasps and bee's!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  12:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blackskull your workmates are plonkers! Phobia isn't funny!

I once read that everyone is phobic about one or more of the following: cats, snakes, or spiders.

I must be strange, because I like all three, although as a child I was scared of harvestman spiders (you know the ones, with long thin trembly legs.)

The only thing that I really hate having to deal with is a large daddylonglegs fly. The dastards always fly straight for my forehead. And slugs. Killing a large slug is eewwwww...

I suppose I should be grateful slugs can't fly. Can you imagine them, on a summer's night, flubbering round the lightshades and going ssssssss on the bulb ....

(Sorry if anyone's eating their Sunday lunch, by the way.)

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  12:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh my god that would be epic... Surely somebody can make that happen in a lab somewhere, or we could just make tiny little jetpacks.... That made my day brighter

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  12:17:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Oh my god that would be epic... Surely somebody can make that happen in a lab somewhere, or we could just make tiny little jetpacks.... That made my day brighter

LOL (and that's the first laugh I've had today too!)

Jet propelled slugs!

SSSssshhhhlllliiimeeeee....ssshhhhllllllsh....wheeeee.....flobber flobber ....

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  12:23:23  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It'd be that horrible feeling you get when a wasp goes past your ear and you hear really loud buzzing except you'd be walking along and then something woulkd zoom past and leave slime over your ears :(

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  12:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - in my street it could happen too - I have a neighbour who whangs her slugs over a ten foot wall into somebody else's yard ...imagine finding that sticking to the washing...

Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  20:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit to being guilty of the occasional bit of slug tennis. Marauding molluscs are a serious problem in our garden.
Regarding spiders, I've never had a problem with them, but my Grandma! She was wicked. If she ever saw one running across the floor she'd blast it with hair lacquer. It was terrible to watch an innocent arachnid gradually slowing to a halt under a mist of lacquer. She didn't even put it out of it's misery by stamping on it.
Please, all you arachnophobes, don't try this.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  22:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They deserve it

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  07:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny how many of us have phobias for spiders, they scare the living daylights out of me aswell.
My sister has a phobia for snakes and when she comes to my house her head is bobbing about like a mad thing, i truely believe she thinks a royal is just going to come sliding into the room on its own accord to see whats going on. When i first got Hannah 2 years ago she told my youngest niece not to look at her in the eyes because that will make her strike at your face.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  08:04:53  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well yesterday i had bullet out in the garden and a neighboor piered over (who owns a tortoise so used to exotics) and started going ahhh, then she called out her brother and he was scared of snakes. she asked if she could touch him, and just stood there watching her do it, but then plucked up the courage and held him because it was bullet i did not mind as bullet is a big softy, and he stood there for 5 mins with him in his hand and he was quite happy. i think i can say bullet got him over his fear lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000