New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put Dio's mouse in his viv at 8pm and just checked on him to find mouse gone and a happy little face looking at me from under his hot hide

I'm one very happy mummy lol. I hope this means he likes it here.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)

Edited by - Dio on 09/04/2011 21:13:28

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  21:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey that's great, congrats and well done!

Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  21:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pleased he's still eating despite us not waiting the 3 feeds before handling him. We've got to get him more food on monday but not sure what size to get, He's on mouse fluffs at the moment and he's 200g. I'll have to get some rats to see if he'll take them.

I'm not looking forward to his first poo.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  21:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're following Blackecho's very good feeding guide and feeding 10/15% of snake's weight, this is a medium mouse (20g) or a small weaner rat (37g).

A mouse fluff is way too small. And rats are much better!

Edited by - n/a on 09/04/2011 21:33:07
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  22:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A small weaner rat is your best bet but buy a few mousey equivalents too to aid the switch over to rats.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  09:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always pick my feed visually, the wieghts and names vary far to much in my opinion to be able to reliably ask for pup/fluff/weener etc. Get onto rats asap and stick to them, dont go back to mice. My 1st Royal Hannah was started on mice and i left her on them for about 6 months due to lack of knowledge, all my others were started on rats and have had nothing different and they are much easier to feed over all. In a years time you dont want to be getting 3-4 mice out every feeding night for a 1kg Royal, as they just aren`t nutritious enough.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 10/04/2011 09:19:22
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  09:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

I always pick my feed visually, the wieghts and names vary far to much in my opinion to be able to reliably ask for pup/fluff/weener etc. Get onto rats asap and stick to them, dont go back to mice. My 1st Royal Hannah was started on mice and i left her on them for about 6 months due to lack of knowledge, all my others were started on rats and have had nothing different and they are much easier to feed over all. In a years time you dont want to be getting 3-4 mice out every feeding night for a 1kg Royal, as they just aren`t nutritious enough.

Yes, I should have said that suppliers vary - I buy my rodents in bulk and approximate weights are given on the supplier's website. I've sometimes weighed mice/rats to check and the guide given is very accurate. However, as Hodgie says, you can't always rely on every supplier to be uniform.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  11:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congrats on the feed. my adult royal has decided to go off food and not eaten since the 7th of march. i hate throwing rats out lol

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy

Edited by - blackskull on 10/04/2011 11:24:03
Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  17:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're going to the big exotic place near cosham (i think its southcoast exotics) tomorrow so i'll ask them which one's are the right size. I'm definately going to try to get him onto rats as soon a possible so i'll get a mixture of mice and rats.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  12:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That mouse definately wasnt big enough for Dio. He was very active this morning and didnt have a bulge where the mouse should have been. Weve given him another mouse today just incase hes still hungry. When i compared the mouse to Dios thickest part it was only half the thickness.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  17:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back from a visiting various reptile shops in the area. Anyone in the Southampton area looking for Royal morph's i recommend Emsworh aqauatics and reptile shop. They've got some really nice pastals, green ghost and albino in at the moment. Went to Southcoast exotics too and got Dio's mice from there. The size diffence is quite surprising, we're now worried the mices are too big for him . They didn't have any rats that would be the right size for him.

Very pleased to find when we got home that he's eaten the extra mouse and it looks like he may have even done a poo that i'll let my OH clean out.

this is the size difference.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000