Force Feeding ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  11:49:52  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me what is the meaning of the term "Force Feeding" ? and when we have to use this technic ?

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  11:58:51  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We use it as a very last resort after live feeding and assist feeding.

Basically the mouse is pressed into the snakes mouth and slowly edges into him, it's deffinately the last resort.

What you would try before hand is assist-feeding I've had this done with Diablo and he took to it brilliantly, he didn't eat for 3 or 4 weeks when he was born so we had to pin his head between thumb and forefinger and push the mouses nose against his nose, then an instinct seemed to kick in and he immediately bit down and coiled around the mouse, then we leave them to it :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:21:35  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mmm, seems to me a good idea for someone who lost hope from his snake to eat.
anyway, i'll wait for a month with Blitz and see what will happen.

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:26:24  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Assist feeding isn't too bad you could give that a go if you really want to, worked on my Diablo a charm he hasn't missed a meal since the assist. But obviously I'd only do it if you were worried, royals do go off food :)

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:33:06  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he didn't poo since i bought him in 28/3/2011, that makes me worry.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How big is he?

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do u assist feed? whats the diff with force?

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:37:50  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he is 85 cm long , didn't wieght him yet

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah kinda hard to know if he's doing okay or not, does he look more like a triangle shape than a semi circle?

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:41:23  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tawfik47

he didn't poo since i bought him in 28/3/2011, that makes me worry.

seriously, it's nothing to worry about.

Weigh him, monitor his weight.

post your temps/setup (pics are good if possible)

unless your snake is seriously loosing weight force feeding is NOT required. Assist feeding is easy, but if it's only been a month and the snake is healthy, then it is NOT required either.

Snakes really don't need to eat all the time. This is why retics/burms/ any snake grows to such large sizes in private collections, we over feed them!
A python by nature is a famine and feast animal.

I just checked your previous posts and you say he is around 1yr old. If he is male then this is the end of the winter fast too, so in the next few weeks they tend to start to switch to "feast" mode

Edited by - karl on 13/04/2011 13:45:02
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  23:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

That is not the picture of a snake in any way shape of form underweight (its Blitz if you didn't know).
They fast for vast lengths of time without any health implications and they also can take a while to feed after a move of home.

At this stage just relax, your making me nervous lol, give it a few more weeks before worrying, seriously consider fresh killed instead of live but most importantly there is NOTHING wrong with Blitz.

EDIT: Just seen the health section. Possibly something wrong but nothing that can't be fixed.

Edited by - Lotabob on 13/04/2011 23:08:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000