New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  20:31:13  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At last, I'm on easter hols so finally got round to building a new viv for Boris.
Had a result on materials, got all the cutting done for free at B&Q, needed 2 sheets of 18mm MDF but the nice lady on the till only charged for 1. Obviously, being an honest sort, I rushed back to point out her error
The glass doors are salvaged from old cupboards, 6mm plate glass with rounded edges. Shame its not toughened but plate is damn nearly as good.
The runners and door handles and vent covers, not fitted yet, came from viv bits on ebay, cant remember exactly how much but were under a tenna!
Sundry items...silicone, screws etc...about 5 quid.
The varnish for the interior was left over from a job and so is the paint I'm going to use on the outside.

Total cost of building a 4.5ft x 2ft x 2.5ft viv.....£30.00

Here's the first pic after putting it together but not with any fittings added yet.

Will add more pics when i can. Next stage is to paint it and seal the inside, then the worrying bit...heating a viv this size! just hope the 150w ceramic is up to the task.

Add finally, here is the boy himself!...

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

Edited by - sandi on 16/04/2011 20:33:08

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  20:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh very nice indeed! Smashing value too - congrats!

Just built my fifth viv this week - last one tomorrow - know how you feel ... trifle blistered and achey eh?

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  20:57:07  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh you aint kidding! The weight of mdf and all that shifting and humping about....flip...i earnt my wine tonight!

After a glass or 2...

Brochan my beautiful Alaunt felt the need to help too!

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  21:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
possibly a bit too much wine, viv for boris not for sandi

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  21:18:43  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
haha! brilliant :D glad you're enjoying it

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  22:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats so good. I really would love to make one myself, I'm planning a major build at the moment, but I plan lots of things that get half done.

Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  09:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there sandi a very nice job boris will be well happy in there well done and what value.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  09:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!

Awesome morph mate!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  20:47:39  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tee hee! just wish Brochan was as well behaved as my snakes!

GMac, tom thinks a viv for sandi maybe the best idea you have ever had!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  20:50:34  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bats, how are your vivs coming along? I've not got any further today as we had a family do to attend.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  21:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooooh...well...

Building the last viv was a doddle ... got so used to it I could do it in my sleep I think!

But today was the day I had to drill holes for the light fittings (which, if trained in through the handy holes at the back, do not then fit in the guards when the bulbs are fitted, so must go in through viv roof grr!) and the stat probes, which i'm training in through the sides and clipping to inside front of vivs so as to be invisible.)

Then came the aquarium sealant, and the caulking gun (in my local DIY supermarket they claimed not to have heard of a caulking gun, although they did sell it ...) grr again, it kept exploding everwhere - sloppy job, my fault I expect but achieved at last with the aid of a zillion disposable gloves ... fumes were terrible, left bathroom fan on, windows open, kept snakes out of way ...

But vivs are up and running - screw eyes fitted to support climbing branches, plants and bulb guards, caulking will now have to cure for 48hrs ... next step is to fit decor and electricals (easier before stack building.)

Conditions are so cramped I'm having to use my bed as a workbench, much to the cats' disgust. Tonight I'll be crawling in there under a crunchy sawdust duvet lol!

Oh boy it's fun eh!

Good luck finishing Boris's viv off.

Edited by - n/a on 17/04/2011 21:47:05
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  21:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

Tee hee! just wish Brochan was as well behaved as my snakes!

GMac, tom thinks a viv for sandi maybe the best idea you have ever had!

may well be the only idea ive ever had

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  08:42:45  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GMac, try not to have any more then eh!

Bats, Wow, sounds like you could go into business! Know what you mean by cramped, Boris's viv is huge but cant put it into position until i move some furniture but cant move that till i move Boris into new viv and get rid of old viv!
Just had a cunning plan though, going to build a cupboard to go under new viv and use wicker baskets as drawers to keep all snake and dog things in.
on the silicone front, there is a little metal flap behind the trigger, if you release it after pulling trigger it stops the flow. Could be why you got it everywhere....if not then just tell me to shut up!!! Oh and thanks, you just reminded me of the tip to use screw eyes on the bulb guard....must go and get some!

Today i have to drill the vent holes out and other holes for probes etc, silicone the joins, paint the outside (thinking of doing a wood grain effect) and fit the runners. Not sure if glue alone is strong enough so may try to pin it too. How are you fitting your runners bats?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  09:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, these are all flatpack vivs where eveything's cut to size and predrilled - once you understand the instruction leaflet (difficult in my case) and get into the routine, you're away.

The window runners are just those ordinary sort you see on every viv - it tells you to fit them after the front panels have been fixed, but I actually found it easier to fix them to the panels beforehand - just ease one end over the edge of the panel and then squeeze the rest on - as long as the first bit is on, the rest just crunches into place and clamps on. I'm sure you can buy that grey plastic runner stuff and cut it to size with a hacksaw - would be a breeze I think. It doesn't need glueing - in fact the instructions say it's designed to be removed for cleaning. I would never have had the nerve to make my own windows with runners, get the glass cut to fit etc, but it's proved far simpler than I feared. Haven't actually put the glass in yet - that can't happen until each viv goes in place.

The caulking gun ... that caulking gun hates me! But it was chiefly my inexperience - I hadn't got the nozzle of the sealant fixed properly, and then it got gunked up and backed up, and it's an unwieldy thing to use in small spaces. It stopped the flow okay when I released the trigger; it's just that I'm the world's messiest person with that kind of job lol.

However, the whole thing seems to be coming along reasonably well (cross fingers) considering this is my first attempt at snake diy and a more precise job than whacking together allotment fences and henhuts - hens don't mind if you leave a few gaps; I don't suppose snakes do either, but in their case they'll escape!

All the best with finishing Boris's viv.

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  17:16:05  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice to see Boris has you trained, you get the 'small' viv, Boris get the muti-roomed one
looking good Sandi, reminds me I have to get the finishing bits ordered for mine.

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  17:16:51  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
haha lol, well boris got the better end of it then
it looks really big, i bet he will love it

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  17:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice job. i don't know what temps you need for a boa but i first used a 150w ceramic in my 4x2x2 viv and it didn't get hot enough for my royal so i now use 250w

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  20:11:27  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lol, yeah, even the dogs get more space than me!

Starting to wish i made it lower but i designed the whole thing around the glass doors as i already had them, now i'm worried that i wont get enough heat in it.
Blackscull, i need the same temps as a royal so i dont think the 150w is going to do it.

Eeek! Oh well, the lamp holder and cable have arrived so time will tell!

Bats, I got what i thought were normal runners but they dont snap on thats for sure...just glue on! epoxy should do it i hope!

Oh and one last moan....battery died on drill today, wont take a charge anymore so need to beg one off a mate....grrrr!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  20:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, ain't it always the way - remember when my electric screwdriver died on me in a March dusk, up at the allotment, half a mile from home and ... arrgh, frustration!!

Hey, this may be a silly question, but would two light fittings ensure the necessary temps (need two stats. it's true.)

Good luck to us both!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  08:20:22  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was wondering that too but dont want 2 stats, so then wondered if i could rig one stat to 2 lamps? Then again, no point if i just get a bigger 250w lamp. Going to need a bigger guard for that i expect....nothing straightforward in life!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  14:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might need to make your own guard - I've found the 150w IRs don't fit into standard guards.

I thought of running two bulbs off one stat - easily done with a 2 way adaptor.

AH! I was thinking of the practice of running 2 mats, in separate vivs, with 1 mat stat.

I thought - well, with one stat, if a bulb blows, then if the probe is in that viv - the other bulb, unstatted, is going to go skyhigh.

BUT - if both bulbs and probe are in the SAME viv, then if one blows, surely the stat is going to up power on the remaining bulb to compensate.

So that one stat would be okay??

(It takes me a while but I get there ....in the end....)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000