New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

martin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Everyone, I purchased a het albino and an albino on 21st april. They were both under 100g and born in oct 2010. I fed them both on 26th april on rat pups and they both struck and fed well. However the albino has not fed since, he shows interest and has a good sniff but they leaves it. The Het is still strike feeding fine. Am I worrying too early or is there anything else that I can do? I know royals can be awkward at times but I have several and never had a problem. I have also tried him on small mice with the same result, I also never feed them in the viv and always put them in a seperate feeding container. Any ideas? Thanks

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It ate 5 days after you got it so it can eat. I would hazard a guess that there is something in its setup thats upsetting it and the stress is preventing feeding. Do you know how they were kept beforehand and how it differs from how you are keeping it. Also are they cohabited? if so step 1, split them.

Edited by - Lotabob on 11/05/2011 18:41:30
Go to Top of Page

martin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They came from a shop so would have been in the usual small tub. I had them together for a short time but then seperated them as I have mixed views/concerns on sharing. It was whilst they were together that he fed!
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your setup for him now?

Go to Top of Page

martin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have him in a small plastic viv wiy two hides, 1 hot and one cold, a water bowl and small log. Run off a heat mat and thermostat.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it a 2 foot? Are the hides a snug fit? Is there plenty of foliage etc for cover? DO you cover the viv after dark?

Whats your temperatures?

Edited by - Lotabob on 11/05/2011 18:55:37
Go to Top of Page

martin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is about 18 inches, no foliage as there is lots of cover, the hides are small but he does not fill it. I do not cover after dark either.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  19:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He may be suffering from stress due to the larger size of the viv. Some don't do well with space. It might be worth downgrading to a small RUB for a bit. As they are normally active after dark so I would cover the enclosure so its nice and dark and feed late at night and leave overnight. Also your temps need to be right or they won't attempt to eat something they cant digest.

Go to Top of Page

martin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  19:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, I will make a few changes. I also have a hognose that would not feed. I put it into a really small tub and now it feeds without fail!! Hope it works with the royal. Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  19:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck, let us know how you get on, and I'll look forward to some pictures of him once he is settled and feeding.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000