Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  14:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

Kiba, our Yellow Belly, is a CB10 boy. Don't know when in CB10. We got him in mid January and he's been in an 18 litre rub most of the time. I have been making notes on when he feeds, and sheds. He was 296g when we got him. He has shed twice with us so far. We managed to switch him from mice to rats too.
Current situation is that on 2nd March, he had his first rat - a small weaner. He then ate every week no probs for 5 weeks. On 6th April he didn't feed, so I weighed him again and he was 420g. He missed 2 feeds, then ate again on the 3rd week. On the 27th April he again didn't feed so I weighed him again and he was 437g.
He has now not eaten since. Last feed was 20th April. We moved him into an 84 litre rub at some point during this time, but we are pretty sure his first non-feed was when he was still in the small rub.
My concern really is that although this is supposedly normal for Royal to do this, he's growing right now and not an adult. He's gone from about 2ft when we got him to nearly 3ft in length. Now with 4 weeks without food, you can really feel his spine and his weight has gone down to 410g - that may just be him being empty now rather than semi full when I weight him last, but I'm just not sure if he's classed as "losing weight" now.

We have put him back into the 18l rub today just in case it's that, his temps have been fine (25-26 cool end 32-33 hot end). Not really sure what else we can do - but I really don't like this, he does seem like a skinny snake right now :(

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  14:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have thought it would be moving to a 84l rub

From what I read weights fine

I'm sure others will be along shortly to reassure you

2.4.0 Royal python
0.0.2 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Extreme red Albino Hognose
2.2.1 Crested Gecko
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  15:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That rub would have been far to big, 3 kg Royal only needs a 50ltr. I always weigh when mine are empty and at no other time as it just gives an unrealistic reading. Rats are also alot more nutritional so your little Royal may not need so many to feel full and contented. As above though it was probably down to the move.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  16:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would revert back to the smaller RUB, considering their large body size they really don't need all that much room, Duke is in a 2 foot vivarium but I'm sure I could put him in a shoebox and he'd be just as happy if not happier lol. Weights all sound fine to me, you'll always be able to feel the spine, its at the top of his body if you couldn't it would be a grossly obese snake, I bet you cant feel its ribs, worry if/when you can. Not eating is what reptiles are built for, they don't generate body heat which is a massive draw of energy in mammals and why we fill our faces all day long, if they are been kept warm and not moving they are using practically no energy at all so have no requirement for fuel or as we call them, rats. Thats how they can go so long without eating with no ill effects.

Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  22:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. He's back in the smaller rub now - he just looks so big in it! And he wanders around so much at night, I figured he'd like to have the extra space. I know he doesn't need one so big, I just figured he might like it. He has the same hides in each rub so he can get all curled up just the same when he wants to.
Ho hum, we'll leave him in the smaller rub and see what happens. Fingers crossed for feeding day (wednesday)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000