New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  21:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
](I had the camera right by me so was able to catch this).

Right, now I have NEVER heard of this before in all my years. I start feeding Sanke, she goes bum first as usual.

The phone rings so i put the lid on the RUB and get caught on a 15 minute sales call from Three (I will find you!!!), I hear something I've never heard before, so glance over and oh my goodness gracious me, gasping away is Sanke and what I can only describe as her face distorted and spread 3 times wider than it should be.

I see a mouse tail, mouse boy parts back paws and the head!!! She is trying to eat this mouse sideways. Panic stations, woman on phone gets cut off, I get down and get a closer look (and a photo as I barely believe it myself).

I decided it is going to need turned before it can be swallowed so I grabbed her scooped her up, and using the round (not ink side) point of a pen I very gently push the head down while simultaniously gently pulling the tail, it shifts round slightly and she stopped gasping. The head starts to go down so i just gently held the tail for about a minute until it was in a more normal position and then let the tail go. She got it swallowed the lump is shorter and fatter than normal but poor thing, I don't think this Boa has a clue, its always bum first and now sideways. Anyone any ideas as to how I can encourage her to eat head first?

My nerves are shot to pieces after that. Where is the whiskey.

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  22:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
christ never seen that before. i don't know much about boas, do they have heat pits like royals to sense their prey?

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  22:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they don't have the heat pits as such they do sense heat though through receptors in a similar position to a heat pit but its not pitted.

Its a first for me but talking to people on TCS it does happen and I could have left her to sort herself out but I did panic a bit.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  22:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im sure i would have worried if i saw that too

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  19:38:33  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeepers! not seen that befor either! Mine often eat backward, florence did this every feed for months but has just grown out of it, Think its an age thing, the kids still learn by their mistakes!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  20:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My goodness that is quite a story. I've never seen a snake eat sideways, mine try but never quite manage it. Makes you wonder how far she could have gotten without you intervening would she have been injured? Scary stuff.

Also for your nerves, here is the whiskey!

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  21:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Morrisons are really going over the top now, I've seen security tags on the neck of a bottle before but never one that tags you.

I was worried that it would injure her, when I picked her up her mouth was stretched pretty tight but the teeth had it well and truely wedged, I had to very gently turn the mouse basically in the space it was in, I could tell when it was in a better position when she stopped gasping (and started hissing just after, love how they appreciate us lol)and also the mouse started moving downward. Though She didn't put up any fight so I think she did know I was helping, she is super strong if she'd have wanted to make it difficult there was a good 2 foot of her capable of been naughty.

Edited by - Lotabob on 21/05/2011 21:14:33
Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  19:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done you
Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  19:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you help STICKS
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  21:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My God Bob - that was heroic! I've known them try to eat prey like that but they've always chewed it round into position or spat it out before it's got jammed ... I bet you were shaking like a leaf - definitely an occasion for a drop of the hard stuff!

Lol Kelf - as one Lilith to another, she obviously knows about a bottle of whisky - that's my girl!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  00:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking back now it was no harm done and a great photo opportunity but I do vry much hope she doesn't do it again, I'm going to try really heating the head up maybe the heat will guide her to the right spot to eat it. Though as experiences go, I think I'd be quite good at assist feeding now, lol.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  08:50:50  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow !! that was a hell of an experience for u Bob, i remember my self in a similar situation when i had to pick up a tick from Blitz eye, that was pretty much stressful, but it really feels better after u finish helping ur royal, and see the look on his face saying: "Thank you "

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  11:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Strange whenever I help my snakes the look on their face says 'touch me again andd you'll lose your fingers''

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  12:38:11  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
LOL, seems like ur snakes don't appreciate ur help as well as ours
Except the Boa, i think this look is almost all the time on her face or it's just me who think this because she is a pretty huge snake for me.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  18:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no Sanke did not appreciate it one bit, I got hissed at and tail rattled I'm guessing she just didn't have the fight in her probably because she could barely see round the mouse. She's going upto rats this week so fingers crossed she will figure out the head end is the easy end.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  22:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's a white rat, get a felt tip and write on its forehead: Eat from this end!!

(Oh yes, snakes can read. Snakes are capable of anything ...)

Erm, mind you, if she's a Hogg Island, you might have to translate it into Spanish ... but what's google for eh?

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  00:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eshay owsknay igpay atinlay, its the ommoncay anguagelay of a ogghay landisay oabay.

Not a lot of people know that.

I am going to try heat the head up more than the body and hope her sense of heat guides her in, I'll have the cattle prod on standby though, she WILL learn.

Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  09:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After seeing this on TCS I watched my boas eating this time and funny enough my brb did the exact same thing, ate backwards and folded the mouse.

I also notice since using my own bred feeder mice, that the snakes pay much more attention to the back end of the mouse! I'm guessing it's because they are very fresh (I kill them just mins before feeding to the snakes) so they must smell very strongly of mouse urine. The corn I fed yesterday spent a good 5 mins just nudging and sniffing the back end of the mouse before eating it bum first.

Edited by - louise32 on 25/05/2011 18:53:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  11:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Eshay owsknay igpay atinlay, its the ommoncay anguagelay of a ogghay landisay oabay.

Not a lot of people know that.

I am going to try heat the head up more than the body and hope her sense of heat guides her in, I'll have the cattle prod on standby though, she WILL learn.

LOL!

Caesar adsum jam for te
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus in is at

Or should that be egurgeray in omnibus?

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  17:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by louise32

After seeing this on TCS I watched my boas eating this time and funny enough my brb did the exact same thing, ate backwards and folded the mouse.

I also notice since using my own bred feeder mice, that the snakes pay much more attention to the back end of the snake! I'm guessing it's because they are very fresh (I kill them just mins before feeding to the snakes) so they must smell very strongly of mouse urine. The corn I fed yesterday spent a good 5 mins just nudging and sniffing the back end of the mouse before eating it bum first.

Hmm, maybe I need to curl the mouse head round and rub some of the 'good stuff' onto the head. Yuk! She is going up onto rats this week so all been well she will have to take them lengthways again, lol.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000