this is monty with in first weeks in my house

these are monty in month i had him

Edited by - Pythonwizard on 03/07/2011 13:46:57

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  11:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, he's lovely. Looks very happy there : )

Can I sugest that you get him put in a RUB (really usful box) instead of that faunarium. Faunariums are not a good house for Royals (as I have found out the very hard way). They are too ventalated and don't keep the heat and humidity right. I know you get told they're fine, I was told that too, but really I would ignore it.

Someone on here will be much more knowledgable than me on setting up a RUB. They're dead easy and pretty cheap as well.

Congratulations on your new baby : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  11:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can U show what RUB Looks like i dont know but will take your advice and buy one when i find out what one is
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  12:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A RUB is a really useful box, That is actually a brand name for a type of plastic tub that reptile keepers seem to love. They have handles that lock the lid down and with a bit of DIY make great snake boxes. http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/ Those are RUBs though other brands of plastic tub are available and will probably be cheaper.
I use an 18 Litre Rub for my baby Boa, which has a similar floor area to an 18 inch vivarium. With about 10 minutes work I'd drilled some ventilation and holes for the thermometer & thermostat probes and it was good to go. They are a cheaper alternative to a vivarium.
Fauns are too open above and so lose all their heat out where as RUBs have cunningly selective ventilation so hold heat and humidity much better. Plus with a faun I can assure you that unless the lid is weighed or clipped down it is not strong enough to withstand a nosey royal giving it a nudge.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  12:57:27  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice Royal ! Congrats on ur 1st snake ;)

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  12:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this my viv could recomend a size of a RUB

this is it

Edited by - Pythonwizard on 05/06/2011 13:00:18
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  13:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats actually a faun (faunarium) a vivarium is the wooden efforts with the sliding glass doors. Don't worry you'll get the hang of all the terms eventually, I still have to look some of them up.

I would say a 9 litre would be fine but I personally like the 18 litres packed out well.

A few little things to point out (this is more a go at the person who supplied this than you), You need a hide in the hot end, specially when it comes to digestion, they need the heat to digest their food. The dial thermometer in there is only slightly less useless than a chocolate tea pot, the wood chip is no good for a royal it goes mouldy really quickly and absorbs humidity, orchid bark, aspen (though I dont like it) or just kitchen roll is your best bet. You need to get hold of some digital thermometers (2 is better, one for each end), and finally your heat mat MUST be controlled by the thermostat. You will find that nearly all starter kits aren't worth the money you've just paid for them as its probably going to set you back about £30-40 just to put it right

So shopping list:

9/18 Litre Rub X1
Substrate X1 bag
Hide X1 (at least, though you can make these from cardboard boxes, toilet roll tubes etc, dont have to buy them.
Digital Thermometers X2
Digital Hygrometer X1 (this is optional; but I think its beneficial to get a rough idea whats going on humiditywise)
Thermostat X1 (A simple mat-stat will do the job).

A bit of fake foliage will also help the royal feel secure, they like to hide under things, for example my Royal is of the extrememly shy variety and I have to have all this cover for him to feel secure and happy.

Oh and this is a RUB setup, its my Boa's but their setup requirements are almost identical, I also throw in cardboard tubes to keep things interesting.

(You'll notice I started with woodchip in my Boa RUB but it went mouldy within a week so I switched to orchid bark, its so much better and smells lovely).

Edited by - Lotabob on 05/06/2011 13:35:55
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  14:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monty looks great - nice pics - you know I've never seen my lad drink yet, far less managed to photograph him.

Yes, as Bob says, royals love loads of cover and privacy; Bob's setups are great. I'm an aspen fan myself but the damn stuff gets everywhere - I'm sick of crunchy socks lol.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  14:49:00  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
fauns are fine, i have never had any problems with them and now other people that have also never had any problems iwth them for royals and other snakes. the only thing i would suggest is to put some more things in the faun, as royals like it crowded. you can just use things like toilet roll tubes and marg tubs, or you can buy more things from the rep sop if you wish to make it slightly more natural. he is a very handsmoe royal though

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont get us wrong, you can get a faun to do what its supposed to do but the effort involved is a pain in the backside, RUBs and vivs just make things easier and less susceptible to change. I fail to see how anyone could get the correct ambient air temperature in a faun without having a seriously warm room, my vivarium's ambient is up at 25 degrees centigrade which is about right. As a stop gap it will be fine in the faun but its not the best way to keep a royal and doesn't suit the environment you need to create inside (RUBs are only slightly better at holding heat but you get to choose the amount of ventilation you put in them, which leads me to another point, start with a few holes and if needs be add more, don't turn it into a sieve and then have to fill in most of the holes, the lids aren't airtight, their is ventilation around the top).

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  16:51:20  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
congrats on your new arrival, monty's a good looking lad, I'm with Bob on fauns, the problem being the mesh tops can make controlling temps a challenge to say the least. I use Aubiose in my mob, but as with BATS crunchy socks, my wife has threatened to do something very nasty whilst I sleep if I don't start using the hoover after cleaning out the vivs and rubs

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  17:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha I'm always finding wood chip and orchid bark in my shoes, socks and bed. Oh the joys of keeping snakes, lol.

Go to Top of Page

cockings
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  19:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking snake I am new to snakes with Greg my daughters being our first and we have him in a rub a 50ltr which is to big people say. as it the size fir an adult and Greg is a cb10 I bought a smaller one but havent used it as he has settled in the bigger one it has loads of hide which he uses them all

1x Pastel Royal CB10
1x Spider CB11
Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  19:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks New Just getting used to all terms and words take a while
Go to Top of Page

cockings
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  20:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah me too wait till you start looking at the different morph. That will cook you head big time lol

1x Pastel Royal CB10
1x Spider CB11
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  11:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree 0_0 I'm still trying to recover from learning all the names and what makes them!

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000