New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  21:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was telling someone about the way Sanke reacts to been picked up so I tried to film it, true to form she was well behaved but you do still see her turn towards my hand. Normally she will move towards my hand both when I pick her up and even when just lifting off her hide. Duke will always hide and Spot AKA Dopey doesnt react at all (apart from tonight, its his time of the month).

Anyway this is Sanke getting picked up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XttSzSB9_9o

I'll run the camera tomorrow see how she is then, get a better version of Boa syndrome, better known as fear nothing syndrome.

Edited by - Lotabob on 07/06/2011 21:55:29

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  21:57:03  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
maya has done this the few times i have had her out, just turns round to look at my hand, and then climbs up it while i pick her up

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  22:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah its just them been nosey, its unnerving to start with but although she strikes at me when its dinner time she has never shown any signs of aggression. I think its cute but I'm sure someone who hasn't handled a Boa much (me a few months ago) might misread this movement.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  22:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ROTFL!!

You ain't never owned a Ziska!

Bob opens Sanke's rub, lifts her hide, puts a hand in to Sanke ...

Sanke (turning her head to him) 'Why, hi, Bob!'

Lil opens Ziska's viv and a head shoots out from a pile of substrate ...

'Dang it, you come any closer to me, gal, and I'm gonna (censored) well bite your (censored) (censored) off! HHHHHHHHhhhhhffffffffff!!!!!'

Sanke's just a little sweetie!

Lovely vid!

ps I HAVE handled Ziska recently. She bit me. It tickled.

Edited by - n/a on 07/06/2011 22:14:30
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  22:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHA Ziska is a whole different ball game, Snake is nosey and cute, Ziska is cute but deadly, it takes a brave person to put their hand in a Ziska viv.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  22:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - no, Ziska is all bluff, typical pituophis (known as the pits!) Actually the last time I handled her she came up to the window and challenged me after I'd changed her water, which is why I thought I'd better pick her up (and I wanted to handle her lol.)

Actually, I learned a bit from Essex Jungle - very silly programme mainly, but if you watched it, that bit where Ian (of the cowboy hat) goes to pick up a 'dangerous bull snake' (another pit.) It carries on alarming, but when he gives up fishing about with the snake hook and puts a hand in and picks it up, it says, 'ok guv, I'll come quietly.'

My naughty little Ziska is just the same.

Edited by - n/a on 07/06/2011 22:50:22
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  23:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, its a good bluff you would think twice about going in.

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  13:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the looks of it she was looking like she was going to
Well handled

2.4.0 Royal python
0.0.2 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Extreme red Albino Hognose
2.2.1 Crested Gecko
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  19:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a lot of this can be reduced by feeding outside of their home. This way they can never associate your hand in the rub/viv with food

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  20:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markmifsud

I think a lot of this can be reduced by feeding outside of their home. This way they can never associate your hand in the rub/viv with food

You what? Put my hand into Ziska's viv, holding FOOD?? That WOULD be asking for it!

Only way Ziska's going to associate my hand with food is if she thinks my hand resembles a large pair of metal and yellow plastic tongs lol.

Seriously though, that really is pits for you. On the day I received her she went into full rattlesnake fury as I removed the tape from the cricket box in which she'd travelled; despite her small size it was quite an imposing sight!

I realise what you're saying about viv-defensiveness, and also feeding response, but I'm willing to tolerate (and even enjoy) Ziska's behaviour, and I think it would truly stress her to bring her out of her viv to feed and deprive her of her 'huntress ritual'. She is actually comparatively well-behaved around food, save for the odd tail rattle. (Call me sentimental eh?)

On the subject of viv-defensiveness, my corn Missy was sold to me with a viv-defensiveness problem. I never thought to ask how she'd been kept before, but her previous owner was a breeder, so he probably housed the snakes in rubs. Missy started life with me in a rub, and was actually calming down(don't know what I was doing, but she was) and then I moved her into a viv, and that seemed to finish the job - she is fine now, and she feeds in her viv too.

Umm, think we're back to the old slogan - they're all different - sorry for long post and slight hijacking on your thread, Bob!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  22:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hijack away its all snake relevant. I don't believe in the whole viv defensive been caused by feeding in the viv. If they want to protect their viv they will regardless of where you feed them. Sanke and Spot will feed in the viv or out and their behaviour is the same regardless. I think for the Boa as an example she has sight smell and heat senses and all three have to connect in her mind as food before she will strike, smell been the most important, I never use the antibacterial hand gel when I feed only when i handle so I smell different and always use tongs and I also never touch the rat or mouse to avoid transfer of mouse/rat smell to me and vice versa. Just small things to slightly differentiate the big geezer who wiggles rodents at them and the big geezer who picks me up and niffs of hand gel.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000