RUB size for CB10 royal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  13:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found somewhere local who can get me a CB10 royal.... I had just ordered a 9l RUB as I was expecting to be getting a hatchling. Would this be too small for a CB10 female? If so what size would you reccommend?

I'll be ordering a 6x11 heatmat, (already have matstat), two hides, aspen or beech substrate, a thermometer, a water dish and a few plants to provide additional cover. Is there anything else I haven't though of?

Also, what sort of size would a cb10 be?! Have been researching hatchlings

Thanks for any replies

chay
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  14:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say from my experience that a 9 ltr is too small, my cb10 is in a 3ft viv now and loves it,
always active and never missed a meal, im not sayin you should get a 3ft viv tho but i would definately get a bigger rub than that. I also prefer orchid bark in the smaller grade, better for humidity at shed time.
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  15:55:25  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
depends when in the season this one hatched, I've got 2 from last year a male at just over 500g from early in the season and a female from late in the season who's just about 250g, also depends on how they have fed alot of shops will keep them on a maintenance diet and will most likely be at the lower end of the scale. 9l may be a little small, but 12l should be a reasonable start, I've made the mistake of putting a royal in a bigger rub too soon only to have them go off of their food.
as for substrate I'd start on kitchen roll, easier to spot any things like mites during initial few months. after that its up to you, I use aubiose for mine, and move the bowl over towards the warmer end when they start to go blue to increase humidity a bit

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  17:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep all mine in rubs (and until they're about 800gms) on kitchen roll, far easier to keep clean and spot any mites... I tend to keep all my 'little ones' 0-200gms in 5L, 200-600gms in 9L and 700-1200gms in 18L. 9L should be fine but it might be worth getting a slightly bigger rub just in case :)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  17:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok... so i thinbk i'll order an 18l rub too then and see how big she is once she gets here?!!!
9l was delivered in 24 hours so hopefully it'll get here in time - worst case scenario she will have to spend a week in a 9l and it's a bit too small which hopefully won't do her any harm??!!!
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  17:25:54  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no it wouldnt do her much harm to be in the 9ltr for a couple of days, just means she will take that bit longer to settle in as she would have been moved to a new setup again

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  09:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if it puts your mind at rest LucyB, you'd do your little girl no harm by having her in a smaller rub for a week or so ; i've discovered first-hand (like so many others here) just how much royals prefer to be cramped instead of having plenty of space. They always remind me of playing sardines years ago ; let's all find the smallest space possible and squeeze ourselves into it!? ;)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

cockings
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  23:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got mine in a 50ltr rub he is cb10 and aroun 250 ish now I was going to down size but he settled in now and us eating well over the last couple of weeks so I won't down size now. There is loads of hides tho but he seems to enjoy the space also. I am very new to snakes the one thing I will say is going from the small enclosure in the shop to this rib did stress him a bit and he was off his food for a while 9 weeks to be exact.

I ain't in any way saying for you to go with a large rub just giving you my experience for you to see what happened when I went large.

1x Pastel Royal CB10
1x Spider CB11
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  11:35:13  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just don't get this 18ltr rub thing. My early hatchlings can go straight into a 64ltr rub, and all eat. I honestly think this fascination with small rubs is a load of crap (sorry to sound harsh but I swear it's more about fitting more reps into a room than for the reps benefit in too many cases)
My 10 Mojo is in a 3ft viv, eats like clockwork, my 10 spider is in a 64ltr rub (300g between them), my 08 is in a 3x2x2, and in fairness is the one that could be moved down, as he is a perfect representation of "still life".

Get yourself a nice 64 ltr, pack it out, make it look nice and STILL have loads of cover with plenty of places to hide. If you need me to I can post a pic showing how I do mine later.

Go to Top of Page

chay
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  22:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id be gratefull to see a pic plz karl, i agree with the size thing also
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  11:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A picture would be great Karl...

Have decided on the shops advice aswell as what I've read on here to put her in the 9l rub until she has had a few feeds because this is more or less the size she has been in up until now. A 64l rub is on order too, so depending on how we get on in the 9l she will either then move into a very well packed out 64l rub, or my corn will go into the rub and I'll move the royal into the redundant 2ft viv.
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  14:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm of the same opinion when it comes to sizes of RUBS or vivs I think it's more a case of whatever works for you (horses for courses) and all that, I agree that they are shy creatures and so someone could argue the smaller the better, but in the wild they don't live in 9L RUBS, they live in rodent burrows which at a guess would have a bigger surface area, then when they come out to hunt they are faced with thousands of square mile in which to do so. I brought Cerberus home and put him straight in a 36x15x18 viv or there abouts, left him a week to settle and fed him in a seperate RUB and bam ate first time, as long as what ever you use as a home for your lovely snake has plenty of cover I honestly don't think it makes any difference what so ever, and racking systems should only be used buy breeders as a means of saving space,sorry for the rant and please remember this is only my opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of any other members or moderators unless they specifically say so lol............

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  17:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm , my cb10 royal went from a plastic tank thing into the shop , straight into a 30x18x15 viv that was packed to the rafters with hides branches and all sorts and refused to eat for two months , so we tried the rub idea and the first time we offered him a mouse he struck hard and ate . He's now in a 18lt rub until he has had a few more feeds and then we will try him back in the viv . I think its personall preference and u will soon learn how the snake responds , some are shy others not so . I don't like using multiple rubs , I had the snakes to have on show and personally don't wanna keep my royal in it when I have a nice viv , but it seems that that is what he prefers

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  17:20:17  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry, just noticed the replies. Here is a pic showing the setup I have used for some 30+ royals now. I have 5 of these on a shelving rack.

Now, before it starts. Yes, there is ONE hide in there, but I give ample foliage (which most tend to sit under instead of the hide if I am honest).
I provide a relatively HUGE waterbowl, as hydration is more important than feeding in the early weeks.
The other factor is that they are all in one small bedroom, where the only thing moving is my fingers across a keyboard. Other than the phone ringing noise is pretty low too.

I know people use tiny rubs, I know this works for them. I just don't think it is something good for the hobby. Search on google for images showing how we are keeping royals, it's disgusting.

Royals love small hides, they like nooks, crannys, a deep area to part burrow and peace and quiet. Because they like safety and quiet people think that means they don't like space. A 8x4x4 would work, if it was set out correctly (I admit the royal wouldn't use 50% of it, but it doesn't mean we can't offer the space!)

If anyone out there thinks it is fine to keep in racks and tubs, with no space, no stimulation, never seeing real light, not really moving, then fine, I will not argue, I won't agree though. Before anyone states this is the done thing, and they must like it as they do breed, ok, find me one horny guy who won't do the business, even if he is locked up.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  17:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It kinda feels like this thread is going abit off what lucy posted , I don't like debates over rubs vs vivs , big versus small . Whatever works for the snake and is best for the snake imo , I think a 9litre may be small , an 18 wud be fine , give it a good few feeds then decide from there ??

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  18:39:38  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

It kinda feels like this thread is going abit off what lucy posted , I don't like debates over rubs vs vivs , big versus small . Whatever works for the snake and is best for the snake imo , I think a 9litre may be small , an 18 wud be fine , give it a good few feeds then decide from there ??

OK, sorry for that. So, to answer the original question, the rub above houses my 10 Royal, my other 10 is in a 3x1x1.5

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  19:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't being funny :) I just think its one of those debates that always splits everyone :)

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  22:48:33  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

I wasn't being funny :) I just think its one of those debates that always splits everyone :)

Tis ok Laws, didn't think you were, just having a bit of a sense of humour failure today, it's been a long one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000