Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  10:50:49  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So Blitz still surprising me but yet no eating!
Few days ago i was cleaning Blitz viv and i found a poo in his hide,i noticed he changed his favorite hide (hot one) a day before the cleaning day that means he prefer to be in a cool hide than being in a dirty one
i want to ask 2 questions plz:
1- since he poo, that means his last meal wasn't so long ago, right or wrong ?
2- his poo consist of 6 balls (hard green balls), is this normal or there's something wrong ?!
I take couple pics of the poo, but i didn't post them because i'm afraid some ppl don't want to see it
but i u want i can post them for u.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  13:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - plenty of people post up pics of snake dump - it's an integral part of snake-keeping, after all (and a good guide for novices - when I first started snake-keeping I never even thought to consider what would emerge from the back end of the snake ... ...erm, I soon learned lol.)

But I think what Blitz has presented you with may be urates, balls of solid urine which royals often pass (as well as the liquid stuff.) Or there may be some faeces mixed in with that - sometimes non-eating snakes can surprise us with a dump that they've been saving up, and as you know royals like to hang on to theirs.

Shows he's in good working order, and all the best for his next feed attempt. Could be a good sign that he's emptied himself and has the incentive to fill up that empty space.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  18:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah sounds like you've got urates there and not a poo. It shows he is still drinking which is something I suppose.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  08:51:41  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for explaining that for me
and here's couple pics of what i saw

everything for the first time looks strange, so i have to ask :)

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  11:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, those are mainly urates - as these are usually white I'd say there was some faecal matter mixed in. Hopefully, having got rid of that lot, his stomach will now start rumbling when he sees his next meal.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  11:29:05  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hope so maybe i'll try today night.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  15:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool - let us know how you go on - are you trying him on chicks this time?

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  08:39:14  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes i did, and another feeding attempt failed
I don't know why but i feel like he is afraid of the prey !!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  11:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no - very sorry to hear!

I'd really hoped that he would take a chick, since that's what he's been used to. Did you feed in-viv or in a separate box? As you'll know, both ways have advantages; he feels more confident in his viv, but in a smaller box he can't escape from his prey, which often provokes some snakes to eat the critter ...

I suppose that there's a chance that he's still fasting - it seems that there are royals around that are, despite it being June. In which case, the only thing to do is to keep on offering food every fortnight until he takes.

The other thing you could do is to go back to the shop and speak to whoever's been feeding him and see if they can give you any tips on how he liked to be fed. (Sorry if you've already done that.)

Really sorry to hear, and keeping my fingers crossed for the next attempt. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  16:19:28  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would get some critical care in the water to get his stomach going again. If that fails (and he starts to loose weight) some live yoguart might kick start his system. At least with critical care in the water he will get some much needed electrolytes

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  20:48:14  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
BATS : i'm feeding him in his viv, i removed all the decoration despite the hide he was in and the water bowl, and left him over night, then at the morning i left the water bowl and the hide, and still nothing :(
I'll try to reach his previouse owner to get some info.
Karl: sorry, i don't know what are u talking about !! i'm new on keeping snakes, so please can u explain me what do u mean by "critical care" & "live yoguart" ?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  21:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, just in case Karl's not about - I'd never heard of Critical Care Formula, but it does sound like good stuff - it's a high protein powder than can be mixed into liquid and has the right nutritional values for feeding non-feeding reptiles in the short-term. It's available from SPH supplies 01363 860232 (they are online) 150g for £11.15 - sorry I couldn't find out if they will mail to Syria.

I've also heard of Reptoboost, which can also be added to a non-feeding snake's drinking water.

The 'live yoghurt' is any probiotic or organic yoghurt (plain of course) which I've heard of time and time before as a useful remedy for any animal with gastric upset/feeding problems. Never heard of it in relation to snakes, but hopefully Karl will be able to give more details. He does know about getting non-feeding snakes started again.

Don't give up hope - a member on here - Robert I think - has had a snake who fasted for nine and a half months. My Saada only ate twice in 6 months - and now she's snatching at rats. He'll get there.

Edited by - n/a on 19/06/2011 21:21:08
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  00:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you get powerade in Syria, it can be used (diluted) as well to give them a kick in the backside, though the proper stuff will be much better.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vetark-Reptoboost-100g-Reptile-electrolyte-probiotic-/320716715463?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item4aac34b5c7

Thats reptoboost

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  11:45:45  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
BATS: I'll not give up, it's just i like Blitz and i want him to be good, i know he will eat some day, it's just i want to know what is wrong, and with you and everybody here helping me i feel very good.
Bob: no, unfortunately no powerade in Syria :( neither ebay deliever to Syria, but i know what u mean by these thing now, i'll try to find something simillar here and put it in Blitz's water.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  13:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, do wish we could do more to help and get him eating for you!

This is just off the top of my head, BUT - to all you experts out there - if, as Scuba has proved, chicks may be suitable nutrition for royals, if, as in Blitz's case, there are no frozen rodents available in Syria, then, as an alternative to chicks or hamsters, what is wrong with frozen/thawed chicken?

Could a non-feeding royal be assist-fed with a (young) chicken wing, or partof a wing, for instance? Obviously the outer end and softest part of the wing could be inserted into the snake's mouth to hopefully trigger the feeding response. (Tiny corn hatchlings can be assisted with a piece of mouse tail in the event of serious non-feeding, and it does start them feeding.) And I do realise that it's better for the snake to have the whole ungutted prey, but anything's better than nothing, just to get something into the snake's belly and kick-start the bacteria/digestive system. (Then perhaps Blitz might start to take prekilled chicks by himself.)

Please don't shout at me, guys, or say this is crazy - I do realise that Blitz may still be in the normal royal fasting mode, but, in the absence of frozen rodents in Syria, mightn't it be an idea to look at ummm...creative alternatives? Karl, I believe you know quite a bit about assist - what do you think?

Tawfik, I'm just brainstorming here, and would welcome input from people more experienced than I am, but ...it's an idea?

All the best.

Edited by - n/a on 20/06/2011 13:07:22
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  08:48:44  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think this is a brilliant idea, actually i was advieced by someone who don't have any experience in keeping snakes to give Blitz unfrozen pice of cow meat ,same size as mouse, and i was just about to ask u if this is possible.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  13:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that used to be the way that many people fed snakes, with pieces of meat. I've seen a video of someone feeding garter snakes, I think it was, on pieces of fish, and they were gobbling it (garters eat all sorts, I believe.)

In the long-term, the whole rodent, or in Blitz's case, chick, contains the correct nutrients, and fur, bone etc as roughage, but in the short-term, just to get him going, I wondered about a piece of chicken, because, if he's accustomed to chick meat, it wouldn't be too much of an alteration to his diet. I thought of the wingtip (on reflection I'm not too sure about the size of the bones in the rest of the wing, especially the upper wing) but a chicken wingtip would be about the size of a small mouse, and could be useful as an assist-feed, but a piece of raw chicken meat with skin on, say from the thigh where the meat is fattier, might be an idea too? (experts out there please advise??)

Alll the best.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  08:18:58  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'll try this if he still in fast for the end of this month, i don't want him to miss the summer with no feed, don't want him to wait to next year summer.
By the way, today i wake up and found another urates, but smaller than the first ones.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  13:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tawfik47, I know you recently overhauled Blitz's setup, to use a red bulb, did you get a thermostat to keep the heat regulated in there as an unstatted bulb in a glass box will very quickly become very warm and could possibly explain the mass of urates due to the amount of water been drank to stay cool and hydrated. The whole eating thing in my opinion could be solved in my opinion by making his enclosure smaller, dividing it off in some way. I know you are struggling to buy equipment but there are lots of companies that will ship anywhere in the world (for a price), I don't want to sound rude but I do think in this case its the lack of correct setup causing you the most problems and I worry for Blitz's health in the long run.

Can you let me know what equipment you have so we can decide what other equipment you need and work out the best way to get it to you. (I run a Post Office, I will check postage costs to Syria etc and see if we cant get this little snake happy).

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  22:12:38  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have red bulb with thermostat, two humidity/temperature gauge, one in each side (hot 45%-33 / cool 55%-28 ), two cartoon hides, plastic water bowl.
The glass viv is 80cm x 60cm x 40cm (tall,wide,high) with three holes for air flow and with wood lid.
I would like to buy the appropriate equipment for Blitz, and the post costs in no the big deal, i can affort it, but the problem is i know couple of site who deliever to Syria but they don't sell snake equipmant, so please if u can help me with this i'll appreciate it.
I'll take some photos of the equipmant i have tomorrow morning and will post them here.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  22:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats OK, I will speak to a shop I use and ask them about posting it to Syria, will give you a reccomendation or whatever. Are you handy with a saw? You could knock up a divide to split the viv in half so he ends up with a much smaller living area as that seems to be what Royals like.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000