New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alex
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  11:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there i have recently got my first royal python and he is doing really good! just got a few questions if any one can help? the first thing is when is best to handle your snake? ie during the day or evening, my snake seems a bit grumpy if you wake him up in the day time and even hisses some times lol. the guy i bought him off said not to handle him at night as he will be more likely to bite?? the second thing is when he is larger enough for a decent size viv am i better heating it with a ceramic heater or a infa red bulb? not sure if pythons mind the infa red light? any advise very much appreciated. just wanted to say this seems a great forum and you people have some great advice!

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  12:26:29  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I'm not an expert with royals but i know the royals like to sleep at the day and are active at night, so i think it's better at night, but i can also handle him in day time also.
About the heating thing, u can use any one u want, both are good.
Maybe some one expert can help u more

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  12:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey there welcome to pythons! i think its up to u when u handle him , during the day they tend to be sleeping and lazy , and probably dont like to be disturbed much (altho i wake mine up for sometimes lol) i can only think the guy in the shop said not to handle at night as thats when most snaes are out on the hunt . the guy we had our boa off said not to disturb too much at nite unless u have had all the lights on for awhile , but snakes are most active at night , so maybe if hes not keen on daytimes , wait till hes out and then get up out ?
as for bulbs i have a 2.5 foot viv heated with an infra red bulb as it provides a dim light and also the heat . whereas ceramics u dont get the light option :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  14:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alex, I prefer the ceramic to IR heaters as they do not give off any light at all, as I have 2 x 4foot vivs in the living room, the IR would affect my TV viewing pleasure lol. again, personal choice, your snake wont worry a bit. I handly mine any time of the day, but after 8/9pm is when they are most happy to come out for walkies. If he was suggesting yours will bite you, I would think you need to handle a bit more often so that they get used to being handled. Not sure I have heard of many pythons that will just bite you for being picked up?

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  15:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Alex, and welcome to the forum.

Snakes can't 'see' infra-red light, so the choice is up to you. I like it personally because I'm a worrybucket and can see it's working lol, also it's handy as a bedside lamp (got 7 vivs in the bedroom.) But if you hate light showing at night, the ceramic's better.

Handling - as above, but as you get to know your snake you may find he's alert during the daytime sometimes and sleepy at night ...they like to keep us guessing! I've only ever been hissed at by Shahi (who came to me as a hatchling) when he was new and going into shed, and I've only ever been 'bitten' (it tickled) when, stupidly, I put my hand near his food. Pythons sense heat through the pits along their upper lip; if a human hand comes near their meal and they're feeling hungry, they will strike at the hand because it's warmer than the rodent. My girls came as adults and have never hissed or bitten. (Touch wood lol.) Very few royals bite when they're picked up - there are always exceptions of course, but usually you'll go in, the snake will curl up in a ball and hide its head like a hedgehog, you'll cup your hands beneath it and lift it out and soon you'll see a bright eye looking at you, a tongue will start flicking, the head will emerge and there is the royal, ready to start making friends and having armchair walkies. My guys still ball up when I get them out - they aren't cross, they're just being ball pythons!

Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  16:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Alex and welcome what ever heat method you chews it must have a guard around it be it IR or ceramic good luck and have fun.I have herd that a royal could live a fall life in a 3ftx24x24 min.
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  18:05:43  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im still nervous about getting mine out whilst hes asleep, but at night when hes active i open the lid and out he comes by himself, so its like a stepping stone for me.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

alex
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  17:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alex

Hi there i have recently got my first royal python and he is doing really good! just got a few questions if any one can help? the first thing is when is best to handle your snake? ie during the day or evening, my snake seems a bit grumpy if you wake him up in the day time and even hisses some times lol. the guy i bought him off said not to handle him at night as he will be more likely to bite?? the second thing is when he is larger enough for a decent size viv am i better heating it with a ceramic heater or a infa red bulb? not sure if pythons mind the infa red light? any advise very much appreciated. just wanted to say this seems a great forum and you people have some great advice!

Go to Top of Page

alex
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  17:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whoops pressed the wrong button and posted my origanal topic again! just wanted to say thanks for the advice and will be buying a 3ft viv with 100w red bulb to heat it as they seem a good choice! many thanks again people.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000