Shed again !!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  17:49:56  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Two days ago i was checking Blitz viv i'm changing his water and i found shed skin again infront of his hide and urine in it, and i found him in the other half of the viv ( after i put a seperater in it)
so yesterday i tried to feed him (i thought maybe he is readdy now after two sheds and few urines) but the attempt failed :(
I think i'll try assist feeding next week, so please if anyone can give me any tips how can i do this i'll be greatful

I'll upload few pics soon.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  18:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1 day after a shed might not be a good idea, Duke who eats everything refuses for a few days after a shed. Are you not able to get a small plastic tub of some sort, a toy box or anything like that. I'm still convinced your problem lies with the heating been a red light. Duke was exactly the same until I switched to Infra Red. I think Duke would be improved even more if I went to ceramics (his new viv thats getting built is ceramics). I would say a heat mat and stat with a small plastic tub should help him feel more secure and when he feels more secure he will start to eat.

On another note, is he actually losing weight all the above will be totally pointless if he is just fasting at the moment. How long ago was his last meal?

Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  19:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assist feeding really isn't a great idea.
What other options have your tried?
Braining?
A smaller prey size, even a different colour?

If he isn't loosing weight, don't bother with assist feeding, just keep persevering with other options.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  22:57:44  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow I'll weight him and tell u, last time i weighted him he didn't lose weight.
I'll try to fined a sameller plastic tube for him, but the heating is not a problem, i haven't use the bulb since last wednesday, the temp here is 41 C out side, and its 28-30 C inside the viv, so the bulb is not the problem.
I'll wait and try to find samller tube for him.

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  08:57:06  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bob, can u tell me what exactly the size will be perfect for Blitz (90 cm)
I'm planing to buld up a wooden viv if i didn't find a plastic tube.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  08:47:21  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
here is few pics of his shed

and this pohot indicate were i found him, in the other half of the viv

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  13:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance of you moving him a small water bowl and a hide into the other side, its a good indication he is searching out somewhere else to stay, leave the lamp on the big side it will still keep him warm from there (not that its needed this time of year in Syria you lucky devil). Believe it or not the bit he was found in is probably a much better size for him, you will need to sort out a small bowl that side and just give him 1 hide with a really tight fit, if he can only just fit in it thats royal hide heaven.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  22:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know people have already suggested blanking off the sides, can i ask do you do this? or do you leave the tank as in the picture because if it is then your Royal isnt going to feel very secure.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  11:05:59  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I do cover this side with towel , but i removed it to take the photo, and in the other side there's closet, so it's totaly dark in the other half.
i put a hide in there and searching now for a smaller water bowl.
When i was putting that hide i heard him inflatting on me (don't know if this kind of sound u call hising), it's his first time doing this and he really managed to scare me with it for a while

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  11:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A kind of hollow 'haaaaaah' sound? Yeah, that's hissing. Naughty boy! They usually leave it at that though - royals rarely follow up hissing with a strike or bite. It unnnerved me though when I first heard it from Shahi, and he was only a tiny thing.

Wonder if he's feeling grumpy and hungry after his shed? Fingers crossed for you both!

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2011 :  20:34:46  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He should be hungry i think , snakes !!!

Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2011 :  12:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you could try a smaller hide within his existing one? i've got a little female that wouldn't eat at all until I put in a second hide. It covered most of what was otherwise 'free space' but it did the trick and now she eats like a total pig (but in a cute loveable way, haha!) seriously tho, it may be he want's to feel as 'cramped' as he would in the wild living down a burrow and it might just do the trick. hope this helps! :)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2011 :  13:40:25  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I didn't get it ?! .. u mean hide in the hide ? there's no space ! or u mean to put the hide he is in into another bigger hide ?!

Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2011 :  14:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry tawfik, I meant is there any way you can cramp his hide up? maybe some crumpled newspaper balls inside his hide and maybe some in the end section you showed in your photos (where he is)? If they feel 'squashed in' they really do seem to love it :)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2011 :  13:27:40  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i get ur point, i'll do that, thank you. :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000