Royal Python - General Keeping information
 I've been a bad mum!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  21:14:22  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Poor Florence, I didnt even know she was about to shed, dont know how i missed it as i get her out for cuddles 2 or 3 times a week, last night she shed and i hadnt put the humidity up so she had a bad shed.....I feel so guilty!

Anyway, i just ran her through warm, wet towels. Got most of it off but she still has a patch covering half of her head and neck. Not sure if the eye cap is off on that side but suspect not. Is there anything else i should do? Didnt want to work at it too much as she seemed to be getting stressed after 20mins of sponging!

How the hell did i not see this??? She hasnt eaten in the past 4 weeks....(ya dont say?) but she seemed not to go blue and didnt get her usual pink belly....royal trickery!

Boris, on the other hand, has just decided to show it like it is!..Pink belly, crispy to the touch and not moving an inch!..you know where you are with a Boa!

So, what to do about her royal highness and the stuck skin...?

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  21:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sandi - is everything ok - know your Dad's been ill?

Even without distractions they still surprise us, crafty little gits! Have you tried the damp pillowcase thing - wet a pillowcase, put Flo in, tie the top, put in ventilated rub and leave, supervised for 30 mins; she will squirm and hopefully dampen and rub off the skin by her own efforts. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  21:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe put her in a damp pillow case in the viv for a while, as she moves around it might help lift the skin

i didn't notive clover shed, i usually put a damp flannel under the heat bulb to help raise humidity. i noticed the skin in the leaves and she left me a massive poo lol. i didn't notice this until this eve, i don't know how i missed it either

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  21:48:12  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have put in a damp towel under heat lamp and think i might try the pillow case trick tomorrow. Thanks for that!
Bats: Yes been a tough time and dad battling through it but doing ok, thanks for asking. x

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  23:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all miss things from time to time, though snakes seem to be excellent at deception. Spot has sprung a stealth shed on me and he is black (??). Did you get the eyecaps and tail tip? I dont even know why I ask, I know you know your stuff, mainly I'm nosey lol, as long as those bits are off the rest is not so urgent, just raise humidity for a bit and see what comes off, you will most likely have the joy of another shed pretty soon after a rubbish one so as long as the eyecaps and tail tip are off the rest will be taken care of by the second shed. Though as above damp pillowcase (I would say to keep the snake in the case in your hands, you can manipulate tighter squeezes through and also judge distress etc by its movements) works a treat for all but the most stubborn bits.

PS, good to hear from you, its been a while, glad all is well on the family front.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  00:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehe they like to fool us these snakey dudes! hope it all goes ok! can u explain more about the crispyness of ur boa ? we havent had a shed with dexter yet and i wondered if there was anything diff to look for ? x

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  00:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll not miss it when it happens, its like someone pours PVA glue over them they go all crispy and wrinkly.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  10:18:39  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, bobs right, boas feel and even sound crispy when they are about to shed. Its like their scales are dryer and feel a bit crunchy! Maybe its the bigger size that makes it more noticable but its much more apparent in him than florence. Also his belly goes very salmon pink where as florence just goes a little bit pink.

Edited by - sandi on 11/07/2011 10:19:48
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  11:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aaah got ya! he started to look a little baggy round the head and i noticed some sharper belly scales if that makes sense ? we have had him since 18th june and hes had three big mice so i would assume we would have one on the way soon . I do love boas :) im looking at a dwarf pastel atm if i can sort the delivery of her out :D

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  22:01:05  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phew! I just managed to get the last of her stuck shed off. The last and trickiest bit was the top and side of her head and as i thought, it did include an eye cap but that came off too! She is now looking shiny and new but a bit cream cracker ed after a good rub down so she is languishing in my lap!

Should feed her tonight but i was so worried about the stuck shed i didnt defrost the rat (being a bad mummy still) so i'll let her recover and give her a feast tomorrow night!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  22:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww you're NOT a bad snake mother at all!

She'll be fine and won't even notice the wait for her meal - I mean, snakes don't wear wrist watches do they lol!

Glad you got the stuck shed off - eyecaps ...oh boy I never want to have to deal with eyecaps, been lucky so far ...fingers crossed. Well done with the eyecap!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  22:21:03  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bats, that was my worst fear, i always thought the eyecap thing would be tricky but it just took patients and a firmer grip than normal. Had to rub the wet cloth over her eye numerous times but then it just popped off with a strip of skin.....what a relief! I dont htink it would have come off in a pillow case by herself so glad i interviened.

Just hope it goes better for boris, hes due in a week or two. My dog is about to have an operation too so that plus my dads problems....flip! Something must go right soon eh!?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  22:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omg sounds like you've had a rough time - things have GOT to get better now!

Glad your Dad is on the mend, and good luck with the dog - is it Willow or Brochan?

I think eyecaps are every snake-owner's nightmare - at least you'll feel more competent if it ever happens again, though hope it won't.

All the very best for a much better half of 2011!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  22:38:20  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks mate! Yes, i feel more confident if it happens again. Its willow, she has tumours in her mammory tissue so needs to have all her 10 boobs removed. Poor babe. The good news is, so far non of the tumours are cancerous, need to remove them just in case they change though. She had some removed last month and they spayed her too so she has been through a tough time. My dad has cancer too and isnt out of the woods yet but has just finished a course of treatment so feeling better than he did. Like you said...not a good year but always looking on the bright side! Snakes are keeping me sane!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  22:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah - sorry to hear about your Dad - from what you said in an earlier post I was hoping he was out of the wood, but hope things do get better now.

Poor Willow - that sounds horrendous, though mercifully she won't realise - she'll just wake up with a sore belly and expect to get on with life as usual ...One of my cats, the one you might remember me speaking of before, who looked like the Beast of Bodmin, had to have two operations for benign stomach tumours, and lived to be almost 18 and died of sheer old age ...hope all goes well for Willow. Hope all goes well with everyone on Planet Sandi now!

Yeah, you're right - snakes keep us sane all right - hell, if they keep ME sane, they'll keep anyone sane lol!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  08:49:39  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah thats good to know about your cat! As for sanity, i suspect its questionable for us both!!! Have a good day!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  10:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks - and the same to you.

LOL - sanity's just a state of mind ...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic