Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  23:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Got the rub and all the last bits and pieces today , spent ages drilling holes with a heated up screwdriver...nitemare....then had some wood issues....but tadaaaa heres the final thing . gona get another plant or two , but just getting the temps rite now .
Just cant wait to get her now :D

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  23:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boa perfect RUB.

Quick check, is the mat outside? I made the mistake of putting it inside, ONE Boa wee later, one totally dead mat, seriously you will be able to mark a tide mark on the side of the rub when she goes peepee.

Edited by - Lotabob on 12/07/2011 23:40:09
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  23:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup its on the outside :) will see how we go with aspen , if not will change to kitchen roll or somethin else i think . just trying to get the temps steady now

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  00:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to work out how those puppy training pads work and if there are any chemicals in them etc and if I could put one under the substrate because when Sanke goes oh boy does she flood the place, I'm dreading her been the best part of 6 feet and as thick as my thigh, when she goes I'll know by the wave cresting over the front ledge of her vivarium lol. Maybe I could tie a tena lady to her to catch the worst of it.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  00:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i havent caught a wee by dexter yet but i dont kno if i would with aspen so thats why im thinking of changing it . mind u now that kodi has grown looads , she wee's like a trooper! im sure u could wrap a tena lady round her no problem lol!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  00:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll know about it aspen or no aspen. It stinks.

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  09:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about puppy training pads chemical wise but thnik they are the same as dispossable nappies lol but if there are any chemicals you could always use the nappies

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  10:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks really really good! Perfect!Bet you can't wait for her to arrive.

Been into the whole puppy pad thing myself, and yes, they all have chemicals ... If anyone hears of chemical free ones, I'd be glad to know. It's a pity we can't train snakes to use litter trays, although some snakes do tend to use the same corner - a shallow kitten tray with lots of kitchen roll might be the answer ... no. Knowing snake-kind, they would upend it, or crawl underneath for a snooze lol.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  13:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
saturday seems so far away! hmmm do any of u used a pulse stat on mats ? i hate the temp flux im having with my mini mat stat , i dont think the habistat ones have such a difference , i have like a 4 degree variance atm , cuts on a 28.5 and off at 33.6 where i need to to stay around 29-33 max ? any ideas?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  13:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Laws, I'm certain you can use a pulse stat for a mat - the only thing you can't use it for is an IR bulb because it would flash like lighthouse ... after long confusion re stats I THINK I've got it straight lol.

Only 3 nights to go ...

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  13:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im so rediculously excited , its kinda helped cheer me up to be honest , cant wait to get her tho ! we are planning on a viv after our holidays for her so i dont really wanna spend a great deal on the rub as she wont be using it very long . however the rate at which kodi is groing may mean she goes into the rub after Indie is in her viv . I will have a look into pulse stats as like dimmer stats they keep it pretty much bang on to the temp that u want .

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  13:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think dimmers on bulbs are brilliant but habistat dimmers have a minimum load of 40 watts (from memeory) so you'd need a 40 watt heat mat. I think microclimate ones dont have this minimum though not sure, I dont use them. I find mat stats swing for days until everything gets upto temperature and then it all settles into a nice small temperature range. My matstat holds at 32oC almost perfectly in my Boa RUB it just took time to settle, another trick is make sure the probes are totally covered by substrate so its only measuring the mat and substrate temp and not been thrown off by the cooling effects of the air. I shall divulge my technique for securing probes, I place them on the bottom of the RUB, I then get a big splodge of white tac (blues pale friend) and press it over both probes so the probes are still touching the bottom of the RUB but are covered over from the effects of air, I then get substrate and press it into the bluetac until its totally covered and snake cant get near it (its easy with orchid bark) now the probes are only measuring the heat from the heat source, the air temp is taken care of by another thermometer elsewhere. I use white tac because its non toxic and removable and I can just throw it away when Sanke pees all over the RUB and deep clean is needed.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  14:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will have a play around , im glad we have three days to sort it all , its definately getting more stable cutting off at 28.8 and then goes up to 32.8 so i would say thats not too bad and i will try covering over with aspen as i have no white tac , just blue lol

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  12:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it helps my mam uses puppy pads for under the hay of her Guinnie Pig cage. She uses the one that don't have the smell in them that would normaly be for encouraging said puppy. At least for the Pigs they're totaly safe to use, even if they chew them. But I can't say for sure if that would be true for a snake or not : /

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  11:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so to update for you, my mam say's the ones without the chemicals in to encourage the puppy to do his buisness on them are totaly harmless. No chemicals in them at all. And my mam wouldn't lie about things like that. She showed me the pack she buys and they're made by Trixie and she said she's sure you get them off Zooplus.

Hope that helps : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  15:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pad!

I use pulse stat on my heat mat under a RUB.

Okay, lesson I learned about RUBs... you probably won't have to worry about this until your royal gets to be an adult.

I used to have the heat mat aluminum-taped to the outside bottom of the RUB and put on a wooden shelf. I have since changed this to cut out a 1/4" niche on the shelf and sink the heat mat on it so that there is always a 1/4" gap between the RUB floor and the heat mat for air circulation. I have some heavy decor plus the 2Kg royal in the RUB and the floor of the RUB tends to bow out and pin the heat mat to the wooden shelf preventing air circulation. If I didn't have a pulse-stat, I would have burned the bottom of the RUB.

You can always put a 1/4" block of wood or some such under the RUB around the heat mat so the heat mat wouldn't touch the shelf the RUB is on. Easier to do than the routing that I did on the shelves.

Just sharing my experience...

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 15/07/2011 15:18:05
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  15:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got some coasters i think that lift itso its off the mat , i will check that tonite as we go and pick the new boa girlie up in the morning , im just too excited! lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  16:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting to know, Anatess - yes, of course, if there are heavy hides/snake in the rub, the warm plastic floor WILL bow and create conditions favourable to thermal blocking ...

Ha, Laws - only one more night - Indie morning you'll be setting off to collect her!

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  17:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahaha! Indie morning its new boa day! love it bats!!!

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  19:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH! It's a boa not a royal...

Ooohhh... so far the kids are happy with the royals and a hognose. Haven't asked for a boa yet!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  19:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup its the second boa to the family , called indie . i have propped the little corner lips of the rub ontop of coasters to create and airgap now that should do it rite ?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000