New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pennyp
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2011 :  14:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi ive had nothing but probs with my snake since i got her. she wont feed she's 3 months old and only ways 40 grams and now has mites ive been out today to get some treatment, i got beaphar insect spray but it says on the bottle not to use on snakes under 80 grams so now i dont know wot to do any ideas please

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2011 :  14:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Poor little snake if you can't treat such a small snake with it take the snake out of the RUB/Viv (???) and give it an oil bath and treat the enclosure, throw out anything that you cant boil. Dont forget to treat around the area where the snake is kept too, carpets etc.

The mites on the snake should croak it while its in the bath so as long as you've thrown everything out, boiled the other stuff then fingers crossed all the blood suckers and their eggs will be killed. Just use kitchen roll as substrate it makes mites easier to see and also less places for any adults that are about to lay eggs.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2011 :  14:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about this - poor baby. I'm not an expert on mites (hope I'm never forced to be) but if you look on the health section there's loads of info about different treatments.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who can advise you about treating a snake this young - all the very best with her.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2011 :  14:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, we overlapped, Bob.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2011 :  20:29:35  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
poor little snake, hope he will get rid of the mite so soon.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

Edited by - Tawfik47 on 16/07/2011 20:32:34
Go to Top of Page

weeclaire1984
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2011 :  23:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey poor little snake :(

try putting olive oil onto the snake heard that gets rid of mites

or go to the vets they may give u something i got frontline spray for my python bt she was alot heavier maybe worth speaking to a vet

C A Wilson
Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2011 :  10:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there i agree with LB throw out all wood ect and put all plastics in the bath with bleach solution, use kichen roll as sub and a olly bath for the snake or put her in plastic box with kitchen roll in the botton put some olly solution in the box so she takes care of her belly where they hide, add the snake then roll up some kitchen roll like a paint brush and dip it into the solution a paint the snake from head to tip making shaw you put plenty over the eyes thats also where thay hide. I use Aardapp on all new woods hides ect but not the snake and the viv/rub hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Dr Chop
Snake Mite

46 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2011 :  12:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally use zoo med mite off I have found it better than the frontline option
Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2011 :  12:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would definitely recommend giving her a warm bath as other members have said it will drown the little devils and it should also help to rehydrate her to a degree, are you near any reptile vets in your area that may be able to help with her weight? I'm not trying to be alarmist but at such a young age they're always more 'at risk' of not coping with illness than older ones.

On a happier note the olive oil treatment/mite off applied to your snake should be fine and I would do that at least daily for about a week ; in the mean time, I agree with other members that you should keep her in a RUB on white kitchen roll paper and that way you'll see easily if there are any live mites still in there with her. I've learned to my cost that mites can be a headache and a half so now I keep all new arrivals in the set up i've just mentioned using the exo-terra hides & bowls as they can be washed in boiled water to kill any eggs that may be left.

I really hope you get on top of the devils and your little girl gets better, I understand the stress mites cause (to humans as well as the poor snakes) all too well, so i'm keeping me fingers crossed for you! :)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2011 :  20:12:55  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have tried everything in the past but the only thing that worked 100% without causing snake stress was lyclear head lice treatment. The active ingredient is permethrin. It needs to be mixed with water in a ratio of 15ml lyclear:1 litre water then sprayed over the snake and viv including all its contents. The viv should only have paper as substrate and a cardboard box as a hide. Any furniture to be put in later should also be treated but outside the viv. Snakey can stay in the viv during treatment. Be sure to spray every nook and cranny, the mites have been found even in lighting cables and they prefer to lay their eggs up high. Repeat the process every week for at least 3 weeks to break the life cycle.

I rescued a boa 6months ago with a bad case of mites, i tried everything, we have just got rid of them with this method. Thought we had beaten them before but they always came back after a few weeks. They are tricky little gits!

Good luck!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000