New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hatchling

90 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  20:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone

I'm Clare, I joined TRP awhile ago and have been lurking and reading

I'm looking at carpet python babies at the moment and will hopefully be adding one to my snake family soon, but I'm concerned about the dreaded IBD. I brought home a lovely young brb one month ago, who seems perfectly healthy and have a corn snake also, and will be quarentining the new python (if we get one) on a seperate floor of the house, but I'm concerned about IBD managing to infect my boa if the new arrival has it, I'm aware pythons don't always show severe symptoms.

Will hand washing/sanitising inbetween snakes and seperate house areas be sufficient to prevent any cross infection? I have no reason to suspect any new addition will have it, but want to be careful!

Thanks in advance

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  20:50:12  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have that the wrong way around?

Boa's don't show severe symptoms but it kills pythons quickly?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Hatchling

90 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  20:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have it wrong

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  20:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it's lethal to pythons and harder to detect on boas, I remember because I have a boa in the same room as my royals which is a bad idea.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  14:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Claire - yes, as Kelf says. I've heard that a boa should always be given a three month quarantine and that by then if there is no sign of ibd, it's safe, but personally I would always sanitise/take every precaution when keeping boas and pythons in the same house - well goes without saying that we should do that anyway.

Hope you get your new carpet python.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  17:19:09  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with bats and kelf.

Using an alcohol rub is a good idea.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  00:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Boa and a Python in the same room, I didn't quarantine (I wish I had, big risk to take). I didn't learn about just how horrific IBD was until after and by then it was too late, I did however always handle the new snake last and between snakes I ALWAYS wash my hands with antibacterial soap and then use alcohol gel too, its incredible how much it burns if you have a paper cut so watch out for that one.

IBD is terminal in both Boas and Pythons, the only difference is it slays a python in weeks and a Boa in months.

Go to Top of Page

Hatchling

90 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  11:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info everyone hoping to add a python to our happy snake family soon but all depends on the right snake appearing at the right time in the right area! Hopefully I'll be a more active member of this forum soon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000