Losing weight !!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  08:52:53  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
On friday, i cleaned up Blitz viv because urine was in at least two spots, and i weighted Blitz and he was 500 grm !!!
He was 600 grm before two monthes ( he shed after that twice and all the urine ).
do i have to start force feeding him ? and don't want him to lose more weight and become week, please help me :(

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  11:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the fact that he's eaten nothing at all, also he's by no means emaciated, I wouldn't call it a dangerous weight loss - but I'm by no means expert - hopefully someone more experienced will be along soon.

Assist-feeding - where the food is gently inserted into the snake's mouth and triggers the feeding response, is certainly an option in a non-feeding snake but in Blitz's case he could still be fasting.

He used to be on chicks - perhaps trying him with a chick might get some response out of him? I would be tempted to go on trying him every fortnight, but other people on here might have other ideas.

I really wish I could help more - all the very best with him.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  12:36:37  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so u think it's better to wait two more weeks and then try him with chick ? and then if it didn't work i will have to use the assist-feeding approach.

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  16:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends when you tried him last with food; if it's 2 weeks ago I'd try him as soon as is convenient. I offer Surahi (who's still fasting) a meal about every fortnight - but if I had a spare rat say 10 days after offering, I'd try her, just in the hope that the rat wouldn't be wasted - it's flexible. Although I'd try a non-eating hatchling of any species more often, I wouldn't offer food to a fasting adult or young adult royal more frequently than every week, and two weeks is better - but you can bend the rules a little.

If he looks interested in the chick, even if he watches without striking, but doesn't eat, I would wait, say 7-10 days and try him again. If he takes absolutely no notice or recoils, wait two weeks before trying. (This is just what I'd do personally - other people may have other suggestions to make.) But some royals can fast for months and months as you know - he may just not be ready to eat yet.

However, I do hope he surprises you!

All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  18:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally wouldn't attempt assist feeding at this stage. It's a very stressful experience for any snake and any owner who has not been taught / shown, and could potentially make the situation worse. If he is drinking and keeping himself hydrated and still looks a reasonably healthy size, I would follow a regular pattern of offering food, as advised by BATS.

Have you gone through what could have caused a lack of interest in food? Again, as BATS has said, if he is fasting, assist feeding would be a bad move.

Is he a CB,CF or WC. If he's CF / WC it could be down to something like parasites in the system causing a dis-interest in food.
Are all temperature and humidity correct? No dramatic fluctuations etc
Is he happy in his home? Appropriate hides, substrate, coverage so he feels secure, fresh water every few days?
Has there been a recent change in food?
Is he fasting?
I know Royals have a reputation for being fussy eaters, but sometimes it can be the slightest things that put snakes off their game.

(Sorry if you've answered any of those question before!! Going through a check list like that is the first thing I do when I deal with my snakes, as it just helps me make sure it's not down to something within my control that could be affecting them)

If he's not fasting, then there are many many options to encourage feeding before assist feeding. That really is a last resort. And although him loosing weight is obviously a worrying event, assist feeding is a very last resort!

If you have any books then there's always lots of different methods in them to instigate interest, such as:
Braining, The paper bag method, Live rodent bedding / creating a "rodent hole" covering with a different smell etc.

Edited by - Jayde on 24/07/2011 18:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  22:04:43  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank u BATS and thank u Jayde for ur advices.
I don't have any historical information about Blitz since snake trade is little complicated here in Syria.
temperature is about 28 C (30 hot spot, 26 cool spot) humidity 70% - 60% all stable.
Maybe the viv was little bit big for him ( 80cm x 60cm x 40cm ,and he is 93 cm) so i put a separator in the viv and split it, i use news paper as substrate, fresh water everyday.
He didn't eat since i got him 4 months ago, and i don't know exactly what he used to be fed, i tried hamster and chicks , but he didn't show any interest :(
I bought my royal from a pet store who just bring him from importer he i couldn't contact, so that's why i can't get any historical info about him.
I have a question, is there any possibility that he will starve to death ? or he will eat when he will feel he is hungry ?

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  22:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like to have my heat at 90f about 32.5c but that's just me
And probley other people

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 24/07/2011 22:09:25
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  01:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I don't think he'll starve - this is typical royal behaviour, but oh boy it feels as if they're determined to starve to death when they're fasting! I didn't realise Blitz had been so recently imported - I thought he'd been feeding on live chicks before you got him. So he'd had a few changes in his life before he came to you, which can also contribute to fasting (though not always.)

I think that all you can do is to let him carry on as normal, keep his viv covered, and keep an eye on his temps, and keep offering food. If you do decide to assist, there are people on here who can advise. All the very very best.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  08:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you still fedding live? Have you tried the gas tank info I gave you? If your pre-killing now, have you tried braining the chicks? I thought this might be an idea since I had a nice suprize when I brained Tig's rat last Monday. Maybe Blitz would like the smell and it might temp him.
The thing is though, you don't know if he was fasting before they imported him, so this might just be his normal routine.

Try not to worry though, he looks very healthy and shiny these days : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000