Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  13:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting monty a viv this week as he is currently on faun

I am just wondering a few question like;

Do you still need a heat mat?(swell as heat bulb )

Could some post list of stuff that you need in a viv (must haves ) and (if u want)

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  14:02:49  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no heat mat for adults royals, bulbs are better, either a ceramic or an ir
list:
*3ft viv
*heating bulb
*bulb guard
*stat- pulse proportional or dimming
*digital thermometer
*hides-one at each end
*water bowl
plants and other decor-branches etc
substrate or newspaper-whatever you want to use

things with a * are things you need. things without are more for your pleasure, to make the viv look nicer etc

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 25/07/2011 15:09:34
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  14:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - essentials for a viv:-

Heat bulb (infra-red or ceramic)
Bulb fitting - for infra red an ordinary screw (ES) bulb fitting (I don't know what ES means but I'm pretty sure it's something to do with screw fitting? I've heard you can get bayonet IR bulbs, but the ones I've come across are all ES (or screw fitting.)
For a ceramic heat source you need a special ceramic bulb holder.
Bulb guard
Thermostat - you can use a dimmer stat for IR
Ceramic needs a pulse proportional stat, although I believe you can use other kinds of stat (see sticky on this section.)

PP stats are the most accurate, but you can't use them for IR as it will flash on and off like a lighthouse.

You won't need a heat mat in conjunction with a bulb.

Thermometer either end - the digital ones are best. I prefer a temp gun myself but most people use the digi thermometers - D3lboys has some advertised in the herp equipment section.

Hide either end (I like the 'Trixie' hides from Surrey pet supplies - they are the cheapest and very attractive - and also give dimensions, which is useful.) Space permitting, I like to provide a middle hide too. But you can utilise any old suitably sized clean cardboard carton/kitchen roll inner - as long as there's no tape on it - the snake won't mind.

Lots and lots of cover - this can be plastic or silk fake foliage or just scrumpled up newspaper - again, the snake won't mind.

A climbing branch - I like to give them a branch, and as I've learned that I really shouldn't have picked up any old branch in the wild, though you can bake them, it's better to get java wood (expensive) or the twistable reptivine or similar. I use screw eyes from B&Q to fasten these to the walls/ceiling of the viv.

A door lock or one of those little rubber wedge things to jam the doors closed. Some people use blu-tac or tape - but never use tape inside the viv.

Well ...I think that's it. Some stuff you can economise on; some you can't. I've never shopped on Ebay but I believe there are bargains to be had on there. I find Surrey pet supplies, Blue Lizard and Swellreptile the best online; SPS is cheaper generally but BL have a good offer on bulb guards.

Sorry if there's anything I've missed out, and sorry if I've overlapped with anyone.

All the best with your viv setup, keep us posted!

Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  16:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ikown cages for the bulb are cheap do u know where to get cheap one from
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  17:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the bulb guards look on ebay and try and get one that opens at the bottom, much much easier to change the bulb that way lol no having to unscrew the whole unit

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  17:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheapest ones at present, to my knowledge are from Blue Lizard - sorry I'm rubbish at posting pics but if you google their website you will see the guards on their homepage - usually these guards start at £17/18 but these start at £8 and also have a handy opening so that you can change the bulb without removing the whole guard.

HOWEVER - for owners of smaller snakes - although the mesh looks smaller, the opening at the top for the light flex would also admit a small corn or similar snake. And you need to allow some play for the cable of a light fitting not screwed to the viv ceiling - you can't reach inside to disconnect the bulb; you have to pull the light fitting out to change the bulb. This couple of points apart, they're very good cheap guards.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000