butchers snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  22:04:22  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry couldnt think of a title.

Anyway, my girlfriend is getting a royal next week, she already has a setup, and everything is ready to go.
The only problem is that she lives above a butchers shop, where sometimes i/we can smell the meat (luckily thay are very clean so can never smell rotten/old meat).

can anyone see any problems with this setup? obviously they dont sell rats and mice but they do stock chicken and rabbit.

if it is a problem i would happily take her snake with me, but she wouldnt be impressed lol

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  22:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard of snakes going crazy over the smell of meat cooking, especially chicken nuggets ...So, yes, it has been known for them to react to the smell of food other than rodent smell ...

Personally I'd still go ahead and get the snake - chances are it may not notice, or just get used to that smell and be more focused on aroma de ratty when it's time for the royal dinner.

All the best with the new royal.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  22:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its will be fine, I have meat in my house most days and I cook it too and sit within feet of the vivs and eat it. They get used to the smells in their environment. I've noticed my corn gets quite interested in the smell of pork chops but other than that if its not covered in furr and smells of rodent pee they aren't fussed.

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  23:56:16  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's what the settling in period is for buddy, to get used to the new sounds, vibrations, smells etc...
Pretty sure it will be fine
Congrats on the new Royal

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  00:30:51  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good points raised, much appreciated

Thanks guys.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  10:14:39  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigdon23

Good points raised, much appreciated

Thanks guys.

*bows* glad to be of service

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000