New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kazzyrf
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  10:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 1st Royal joined household on sunday (have 2 cornsnakes as well), fed last night on a mouse fuzzie. This is what breeder had been feeding on. She got very active after (am used to corns taking themselves off to their hides after feeding). Is it possible she was still hungry? Would it be worth trying her on a small rat pup? She is 6wks old, have not weighed her yet but will be later today.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  12:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, and congrats on your first royal.

Royals often explore when they're in new surroundings but a mouse fuzzy does sound a bit small for your girl. A good guide is to feed a meal of 10/15% of the snake's weight or a rodent no larger than one and a half times the snake's girth.

Weights and terminology vary but according to my supplier a mouse fuzzy weighs 5g approx, a 'jumper' or 'hopper' 7.5g and a small mouse 9g. A rat pup weighs 6.5g, a rat fuzzy (or fluff)19g.

She'll be fine till her next feeding day but if she needs a larger prey I would certainly try her then, and the rat is a good idea - the sooner you can get her on to rats the better, as they are a much better prey size when the snake is adult.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  17:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kaz, if it puts your mind at rest i've got my little vanilla on rat pups (feed one every 5-7days) and he takes em no trouble at all, you'd be amazed what royals can put away given half a chance!

When i've had kings, corns and garters in the past they would always behave as you've mentioned and sit around looking pleased with themselves, whereas all my species of pythons that i've kept (even the blood!?) remain fairly active for a while after they've eaten.

I did read somewhere that pythons tend to stay in 'hunting mode' for a good few hours after eating and it was mainly because they are more of an opportunistic 'ambush hunter' (than corns, etc) and will take as much food as they can, when they can.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but you've got nothing to lose by following Bats advice on sizes ; just try not to worry abut the activity post feed as a lot of mine do the same thing despite eating the right sized prey. I think they're little piggies really nom, nom, nom!

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky

Edited by - jhk2005 on 27/07/2011 17:40:58
Go to Top of Page

kazzyrf
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  21:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou both for replying, i have purchased a couple of rat fuzzies this afternoon ready for next feed. This forum is brilliant and some lovely people willing to share experiance and help newbies like myself. jhk2005 am loving the names of your pythons (my little girl so far unnamed. i also have 2 cornsnakes BATS and you have given me sound advice when needed on cornsnake forum. Thanks again, will post a pic of my girl soon : )
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  21:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome - you know I thought I recognised your name lol. Hope she enjoys her rat dinner.

Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  22:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aww thanks for compliment, and you're very welcome ; am always glad to help if I can :)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  03:10:34  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kazzyrf
This forum is brilliant and some lovely people willing to share experiance and help newbies like myself.

I second that, thats why i would rather come here than go to other sites full of "experts" lol

@Kazzyrf switching to rats (more nutrition) and larger prey, you will be amazed how fast your little one grows, im shocked at how big mine is getting now hes on rat fluffs. but then since my royal is my first snake everything about him amazes me lol.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

kazzyrf
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  19:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am switching next feed bigdon23, am looking forward to watching her grow : ) Snakes are amazing, have 2 corns as well and they def got personality. I dont have that many friends that share my passion for snakes so the forums give me a link to like minded people as well as all the great advice : ) Facebook has a couple of Royal python pages that are great for sharing pics and advice as well : )
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000