striking, but not feeding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jumpin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  20:39:47  Show Profile  Send jumpin an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
i have a 3 month old royal, i've had him for 3 weeks, and so far he has'nt eaten, he strikes at the small mouse, but then drags it into his hide, i let it sit there for a day, then i take out the uneaten mouse, not sure if i should, but i'm concerned about decay and disease. Does anyone else have this problem, or, is it normal? and should i just leave the mouse in the hide, if so how long for?

Ronnie

3.2.0. Normal Royal Python
1.0.0. Yellowbelly
1.0.0. Spider
1.0.0. Pastel
0.1.0. Black Pastel

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  21:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum - a lot of royals do this. Yes, I wouldn't let the mouse sit in his hide any longer - you're quite right to remove it after 12 hours or so.

He will get there - he's just settling in, and striking is a good sign - don't push him but just keep offering every week - and he will eat once he's settled.

Go to Top of Page

jumpin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  21:13:36  Show Profile  Send jumpin an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks for the advise, i was getting a little worried, i'll do what you say and leave him for a week and try again, thanks

Ronnie

1.0.0. Yellowbelly
1.0.0. Spider
1.0.0. Pastel
0.1.0. Black Pastel
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  19:48:45  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As bats has said, give him time! I have never left the food in for more than 12 hours, dont see the point. You just have to accept that with royals there will be some food waisted. You could try heating up the mouse with a hair dryer to get a better strike response.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  22:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, (and 'Jumpin') I'm in pretty much the same boat, new to snakes and have just (this Thursday) brought home a beautiful male CF Royal of approx 3-4 months. He's got a feeding card with him that shows his regular feeds (starting with fluffs) and progressing to Small Mice, last one being devoured on 21/7/2011.

After an hour long (hot) car journey ( I turned the Air Con off for Percy's sake, and sweltered) I let him settle in to his new home, then attempted a feed. Nada, zip, nothing, jack diddly squat. Despite my enthusiastic wiggling, he stayed in his hide and ignored my mouse based puppet show. I left the critter at the entrance to 'Le Cave' and when I inspected in the morning, it was still there, despite him being hyper and exploring before I reluctantly sloped off to bed.

I've got some more mice now and have been advised by the superb gents at Worcester Reptiles (whom I didn't get him from) to wait a week and try again. Seems a hell of a long time for someone who has a dog begging for food 3994747 times a day, but I'll get there.

One question, (sorry to hi-jack your thread 'Jumpin', just wanted to keep all the answers in one place)...

Handling? How often, when, and (obviously not after a feed) should I stop BEFORE a feed to make him totally zoned-in to his relaxing lifestyle? Also where and how.

Thanks, and good luck 'jumpin'

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  22:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SaltyTurtle

Hi all, (and 'Jumpin') I'm in pretty much the same boat, new to snakes and have just (this Thursday) brought home a beautiful male CF Royal of approx 3-4 months. He's got a feeding card with him that shows his regular feeds (starting with fluffs) and progressing to Small Mice, last one being devoured on 21/7/2011.

After an hour long (hot) car journey ( I turned the Air Con off for Percy's sake, and sweltered) I let him settle in to his new home, then attempted a feed. Nada, zip, nothing, jack diddly squat. Despite my enthusiastic wiggling, he stayed in his hide and ignored my mouse based puppet show. I left the critter at the entrance to 'Le Cave' and when I inspected in the morning, it was still there, despite him being hyper and exploring before I reluctantly sloped off to bed.

I've got some more mice now and have been advised by the superb gents at Worcester Reptiles (whom I didn't get him from) to wait a week and try again. Seems a hell of a long time for someone who has a dog begging for food 3994747 times a day, but I'll get there.

One question, (sorry to hi-jack your thread 'Jumpin', just wanted to keep all the answers in one place)...

Handling? How often, when, and (obviously not after a feed) should I stop BEFORE a feed to make him totally zoned-in to his relaxing lifestyle? Also where and how.

Thanks, and good luck 'jumpin'

OK after bringing hom e a new snake allow a week with no feeding or handling to allow time to settle in, then you may try a feed. Before you start regular handling wait until you have 3 consecutive feeds inside the snake (basically go learn to knit or something for 3 weeks as you'll not get your hands on your snake and that will drive you nuts). It took 3 weeks for my Royal to start eating and then another 3 weeks before he was ready for handling but patience is the key with Royals, cutting corners could set the snake back weeks while settling in.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  23:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, brings back memories of this time last year when I came home with my first royal, Shahi.

Yes, some royals have been known to feed on arrival, most need a week to settle in before the first feed, and it's usually said, as a rough guide, to let the royal take three feeds before handling for the first time (although opinions differ.) By 'handling' I don't mean brief necessary handling (Shahi shed just after I got him and had to be helped.)

I usually leave my royals to chill out on feeding day and then, as you say, give them 48 hours to digest. Other than that, apart from shedding time, I leave it up to the snake. Sometimes they're always asking to be out - at others they're invisible and want to be left to snooze. Some people hardly ever handle; others have their royals out for armchair walkies all the time (or counterpane or carpet or even desktop walkies lol.) If I'm really in need of a royal fix I will get one out and it will usually deign to relax round my neck or in my armpit or wherever. Very therapeutic!

Percy will let you know his royal whims and wishes.

Edited by - n/a on 30/07/2011 23:03:13
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  23:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha - we overlapped, Bob!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  23:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ha - we overlapped, Bob!

I enjoyed it too

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  23:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ha - we overlapped, Bob!

I enjoyed it too

LOL

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  13:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your help everyone! I'm off now to buy some knitting needles.

Percy's very active today, just seen him languishing partly on his cork hide (on top) and partly submerged in his water bowl (Jacuzzi) with his head up and tongue flickering, tasting the sweet air blowing in from the garden. (That reminds me, I need to cut the grass, drat!)

Go to Top of Page

jumpin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  15:08:56  Show Profile  Send jumpin an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Monty has just had his first small mouse since i bought him, his last feed was july 9th, i don't know whats more worrying, having a teenage daughter or a snake :)

1.0.0. Yellowbelly
1.0.0. Spider
1.0.0. Pastel
0.1.0. Black Pastel
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  15:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats - now for rats! Good old Monty eh?

Never having had teenage daughter but knowing of the little dears' activities secondhand (healthy and normal what?) I would say 'snakes' to your question, despite sitting here with my rattlesnake wannabe (Ziska) squirming round inside my top like an angry mamba (it's just a phase, they all go through it lol.)

Congrats again on the feed!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  19:59:35  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yay, good news! Thats him all happy and settled then!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  20:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, to a fella a teenage daughter sound like the most stressful and scary things ever mainly because I used to be a teenage boy and know what teenage boys are like around teenage girls. I have no children for now but if I end up with teenage girls down the line I know I'm going to jail for assaulting a minor.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000