New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kazzyrf
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  19:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Royal fed fine on a mouse fuzzie on tues this week, but i felt was way to small for her (no visable bump after feeding). Changed to rat fuzzie today and after stricking and constricting let it go. She then struck it again, popped it and then ignored it. Left her for a while but all she did was get covered in rat insides :( Is that usual when changing food item? Plan to leave a few days and try again but would appreciate any advice : )

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  19:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not had it happen too often but the smell of rat guts definitely seems to put them off... quite strange when problem feeder will be attracted by 'brained' prey!? whenever mine have popped/torn the prey skin they won't eat it. Best thing to do is as you said ; leave for a few days and try again - maybe with a slightly older fuzzy - it could be the skin was too fragile on the prey :)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

kazzyrf
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  21:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, i did wonder if it was because it had popped. My cornsnakes have never popped prey, it gets swallowed asap (little piggies they are). Will give it a few days and try again. Thanks for replying, is good to know i am doing things the right way : )
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  22:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you defrost them too quickly they are more likely to pop, dont use warm water etc just sit it out at room temperature for an hour or 2 for a rat fuzzy and once defrosted if it needs warmed up then you can heat it slightly.

Go to Top of Page

kazzyrf
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  20:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying Lotabob. I always defrost naturally so i know they are defrosted properly. I think she just squeezed it hard and its skin did seem quite thin. She has successfully fed on a rat fuzzie this evening and no pop! She gave it a good squeeze but it stayed intact ; )
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000