Advice Please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  05:50:11  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, just wanting a couple of questions answered please.

1. How do royals generally take meeting other royals of the opposite sex for non breeding purposes? im thinking of introducting george to scarlet.

2. Im wanting to send george on a holiday whilst i give my space a fresh coat of paint (matt emulsion), How long should the paint be left before bringing him back in? and how do royals do when moved? (he will have the rub he is in now for home comforts lol)

iv heard of some going off there food

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  10:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - how old are they? Scarlet will need to be in her third winter and weigh at least 1500g before breeding; George will need to weigh at least 600g (males will breed at a lighter weight but it's said that the 600g mark is wiser.) But no need for males to wait till 3 years old. So as you'll see, there's plenty of time.

As far as I can gather, plenty of people just pair off the snakes when required (plenty of info on the breeding section.) However, since George and Scarlet are 'engaged' I can't see any problems with letting them meet 'socially' - just to get used to each other. It's what I'd want to do lol. I certainly wouldn't house them together but a friendly squirm round the counterpane once in a while ...I actually keep meaning to get my royals together for some pics, although I've decided not to breed them.

However, I wouldn't introduce them just yet as they're both settling into their new homes - and a quarantine period is a good idea too for any new snake. All the best for the future royal wedding!

As for George's holiday - I think he'll be fine. Keeping his own setup will be a big help. My Saada came to me with her setup and there was no problem with feeding. Just put him in a pillowcase inside a ventilated rub for the journey (at this time of year he'll stay warm enough on a short journey) and he won't even notice he's moved house. About the paint ...I'm not sure. I'd say, once all smell is gone, but other people are going to be more knowledgeable. (That's one good thing about snake-keeping - an excuse not to decorate lol!)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  10:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Bigdon - amendment! I misread 'non-breeding' for 'breeding'

Then when I tried to go in and amend the post, my computer keeps shrinking my screen so I couldn't press the 'post new changes' button - aarrgh!

Sorry about that!

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  15:47:44  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats ok BATS and thanks, yeah i think a couple of months before they should meet just incase.

The paint isnt very strong at all and dries within an hour or so, so unless anyone sees any other possible problems, il be bringing him back after a couple of days and he should be fine.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  16:14:59  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds fine to me, its the fumes from spirit based paint that can be harmfull, emulsion should be fine.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  16:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes are solitary creatures so they don't really much care for being with another snake other than when it's breeding time.

It's kinda like handling - they don't really "like" it, they "tolerate" it.

So, like when my kids play with our royals, they usually try to keep them apart. But, they usually play with the snakes on the coffee table and there's only so much space the royal can wander off - so they sometimes get into each other's way. At first they would go on strike mode when they see the other snake... but they've gotten used to each other now that I haven't seen them do that in ages. They've learned to tolerate each other.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 04/08/2011 16:31:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly