Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AEAlovesJJB
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  10:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well you will all be glad to know im going out today and buying a rub as i think this would be best, i will also be making alot of changes to my viv while he is too small to be in it yet. thanks everyone :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  11:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the best with him - hope he starts eating for you soon. Let us know how he goes on - good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  11:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this option means you may have to wait a few days for delivery, but Ebay is such a good place when the budget is low.
I picked up my digital thermometers with probes - 2 for £7 inc. delivery.
I bought 3 medium artificial plants as a set for £6.00 (they are usually this each in shops).
As other have said, hides can be made from near on anything, small card boxes from tea bags, or as your little guy is still so small, even a mini cereal packet would be good, as it's small enough to keep him feeling secure. (just make sure entry holes have no sharp edges that can cause harm)
Scrunched up paper in a hide, or in the rub if he still struggles, can also help them feel more secure.
Another good option can be checking your local friday ad, gumtree, preloved etc, for people selling set ups, or items from their set ups that you can pick up, and pretty good prices. They may not always be set ups specifically made for Royals, but if they come ( cheap / reasonably enough) with a vivarium, heat mat / source, décor, temperature equipment and such, it saves you half the trouble of saving for thing individually, and any left over equipment can be stored (if appropriate) for when your guy is bigger or as spare, sold on if it's never going to be of use, thrown, your choice!!
When budgets are limited, 2nd hand equipment isn't an issue, as it is still usable and safe. And by saving yourself delivery charges of looking locally, it also means you can see most things, and test there working ability before spending out.

Once you've got your little guys rub sorted, keep us posted, we always like a happy ending :)

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  12:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jayde

I know this option means you may have to wait a few days for delivery, but Ebay is such a good place when the budget is low.
I picked up my digital thermometers with probes - 2 for £7 inc. delivery.
I bought 3 medium artificial plants as a set for £6.00 (they are usually this each in shops).
As other have said, hides can be made from near on anything, small card boxes from tea bags, or as your little guy is still so small, even a mini cereal packet would be good, as it's small enough to keep him feeling secure. (just make sure entry holes have no sharp edges that can cause harm)
Scrunched up paper in a hide, or in the rub if he still struggles, can also help them feel more secure.
Another good option can be checking your local friday ad, gumtree, preloved etc, for people selling set ups, or items from their set ups that you can pick up, and pretty good prices. They may not always be set ups specifically made for Royals, but if they come ( cheap / reasonably enough) with a vivarium, heat mat / source, décor, temperature equipment and such, it saves you half the trouble of saving for thing individually, and any left over equipment can be stored (if appropriate) for when your guy is bigger or as spare, sold on if it's never going to be of use, thrown, your choice!!
When budgets are limited, 2nd hand equipment isn't an issue, as it is still usable and safe. And by saving yourself delivery charges of looking locally, it also means you can see most things, and test there working ability before spending out.

Once you've got your little guys rub sorted, keep us posted, we always like a happy ending :)

I couldn't have put it better myself!

Just to clarify...are you putting the RUB in the viv, for heat, or going down the mat route?

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  17:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just to clarify...are you putting the RUB in the viv, for heat, or going down the mat route?
Heat mat route would be better,until viv is sorted,and hes alittle bigger.Whatever you do let us no,and how he/she gets on

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

AEAlovesJJB
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  20:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wondering what temp it should be on the hot side and cold side of the rub? and even though hes in a smaller cramped place he still refuses to sleep in the hides! I think my little louie is just weird!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  20:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, it's 32c warm, 26c cool ...he IS unusual for a royal - they usually pack themselves into a hide and disappear. Tell you what he might like and that's a kitchen roll inner - small royals tend to adore those, cavelike, free, and disposable. All the best with him.

Edited by - n/a on 07/08/2011 20:29:55
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  20:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AEAlovesJJB

just wondering what temp it should be on the hot side and cold side of the rub? and even though hes in a smaller cramped place he still refuses to sleep in the hides! I think my little louie is just weird!

33°C for the hot side,and 24°C for the cool side.Perhaps he likes it in the open for now :) Do you have any pictures of louie?

And did you put the rub inside the viv?

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

AEAlovesJJB
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  21:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah ive put the rub in the viv but put the heat mat under the rub, ill try a kitchen roll inner then thanks :) would love to put pics up but i just dont know how! Grrrr haha x
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  21:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, there's a sticky on the photos section, and also a video by Kelfezond ...erm in the video section I think - just look under 'Kelfezond's videos.' I had load of trouble until I got a web browser but most people have been fine with posting pics. Any probs just ask - good luck!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  21:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZKGlW-dp0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2s_tQQGGyk

Them ones bats?

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1451

Hope that helps to.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 07/08/2011 21:35:59
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  21:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, those are Kelf's videos about handling snakes - well worth watching though. The photobucket video is listed in the video section in the 'Kelfezond's snakes' thread, right at the end of the list of his snake videos ...I really must learn how to post links! Thanks though, Boomslang!

Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  21:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Heques, has cold and warm hides, and foliage on either side, as a less secretive cover up, but quite often like to lay out across the back of the viv and have his head and neck placed diagonally out into the middle of the viv, or will rest his head on his log and just mooch. He tends to be pretty active, using is woods etc. But each snakes behaviour is their own.

Where did you purchase him from?
I don't know whether snakes learn from experiences..?! If he was maybe kept improperly before, without hides, or maybe with some form of hide or décor that collapsed and spooked him, so is weary of it?? I'm not sure how absurd that sounds, as I don't know if there's any proof behind it?! We know that once they figure out how to escape, they'll always try again, so.. it could be..!!
Go to Top of Page

AEAlovesJJB
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  21:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone just wanted to let you all know hes eaten all by himself tonight! YAY! :) Hes very happy now hes in a rub, thanks for all your advice! x
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  21:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, congrats! That's great news!!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  22:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,That's great news

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  13:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AEAlovesJJB

Hey everyone just wanted to let you all know hes eaten all by himself tonight! YAY! :) Hes very happy now hes in a rub, thanks for all your advice! x

PERFECT! Brilliant news, good to see your efforts worked.

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  22:15:05  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great to hear

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

em6184
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  23:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ya,
Glad to hear he's doing better. Would love to see pics. I'm thinking of putting mine in a rub.

0.1.0 Scarlet
1.0.0 Gizmo
0.1.0 Ruby (100% Het Western Hog Nose)

1.0.0 Curious George
1.0.0 Kairo
(BF's royals)

1.0.0 Leo (BF's Geko)

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  23:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by em6184

Hi Ya,
Glad to hear he's doing better. Would love to see pics. I'm thinking of putting mine in a rub.

Great to hear her snake is now eating in the 'RUB'. Mine went from fish tank (no likey, no eatey) to RUB, (no likey, but 1 eatey) to his new viv, (no likey, for a few days, no signey for a few days, then 'boom' he's up on his basking bunker, crazy for mouse brains, which were served up on tongs, and he strike fed, and swallowed like a fat kid in a tuck shop, result!

Don't be too quick to flip him into a RUB, take Lotabob's advice he gave to me & pack the viv out with cover, leave the little fella alone for a few days and make sure temps are spot on. When he comes out to play, defrost, heat and brain a mouse (or what he eats) and present with a Beyonce hip wiggle ( the mouse not you) on the tongs. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000