Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tylersmatrix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  19:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
Managed to get a hold of my first royal at the weekend and cant wait until i purchase my own. With the help of this forum i think i am all set ready to purchase one after my hols in September. When i have been looking around for hatchlings majority seem t be CF- is this normal? I would prefer a CB but struggle to find them on the endless avenues of internet shopping/ browsing.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  19:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah. If you're looking in pet or rep shops, at this time of year in the majority of shops, the hatchling royals will be cf - captive farmed (or 'ranched') and, as you'll know, hatched out from eggs 'harvested' in West Africa and exported as newborns to the UK, USA and other countries, a trade which there's a lot of debate about.

Captive bred, or cb hatchlings, royals bred from stock in the uk (though the breeding stock may be cf) are rarer in shops, as you've found, though some shops do stock them, especially when the cf babies (who hatch april/may) are not 'in season.'

Perhaps someone on here can help about finding hatchlings. Which area are you in?

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  20:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CB should be relatively easy to find there are lots of royal python breeders. CF are the cheaper option but are also more prone to the fussyness etc. The captive bred animals are more likely to make better pets by genetics, basically a good tempremented CF is brought to a breeder, its in with 50 CF animals but this one does the best, it hits breeding weight quicker and is then bred, all its babies are CB and have inherited its mummies love for food, one of those babies then hits breeding potential quicker and the cycle continues as that blood line becomes better and better specimens in a captive environment. CF is better to bring new blood into breeding stock though and also the potential for new unknown morphs etc.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  20:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ps, Blue Lizard near Sheffield, have spider, pastel and yellowbelly morphs in, couriering cost is £14.99. I don't know whether the prices are reasonable and if they will still be in stock in a month's time but I've had two snakes from them and have been very pleased with quality and reliability of delivery.

Hope you find your royal.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  20:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

CB should be relatively easy to find there are lots of royal python breeders. CF are the cheaper option but are also more prone to the fussyness etc. The captive bred animals are more likely to make better pets by genetics, basically a good tempremented CF is brought to a breeder, its in with 50 CF animals but this one does the best, it hits breeding weight quicker and is then bred, all its babies are CB and have inherited its mummies love for food, one of those babies then hits breeding potential quicker and the cycle continues as that blood line becomes better and better specimens in a captive environment. CF is better to bring new blood into breeding stock though and also the potential for new unknown morphs etc.

Oh I don't know - look at this big sausage, cf10, just weighed in at 900g empty and soppy as anything lol!

But the little guy must have had a rough ride at first, all the way from Ghana, and he did have a few feeding problems - though many of them are absolutely fine.

Go to Top of Page

Tylersmatrix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  07:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the Durham area but Sheffield isn't too far away for me. I would prefer to get a CB and would pay the extra. I have also toted with the idea of buying a juvenile of preloved or reptile trader but have read stories of people being missold items. They may say it is a CB and is feeding and shedding well but you wouldn't really know until you got home?

I will keep looking- after all you never get bored of looking at snakes!

Thanks for the advice

Go to Top of Page

prozacbear
Yearling

United Kingdom
130 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  12:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guy Guybrush was captive farmed and I could not of asked for a better pet. He is confident outgoing and curious, loves his rats (unless he's horney), and as never so much as hissed let alone bit anyone. I fell in love with him at the shop when I held him and he disappeared up my jumper, he just seemed to have lots of great personality.

So I would say its about the individual snake not their origins. Don't worry about CB or CF just find the snake thats special to you.

Heres a picture of him just for the hell of it

Guybrush (royal python) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csapnto_Q5I

Cassiopeia (Brazilian rainbow boa) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5VQhPP7qVM&NR=1

Smaug (deseart iguana) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ZD_SFA8Lg

Axos & Sutekh (cats) http://youtu.be/AFCgZcHXuTU

Nessie & Nemo etc ( tropical fish)
Go to Top of Page

Tylersmatrix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  19:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice looking snakes. I think I might actually be a proud owner by the end of the weekend. I am going to look at some hatchlings in Leeds. Fingers crossed!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  21:02:17  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aw, good luck shopping! I got florence from gumtree (local Adds) and she is a honey! sold as a CB but to be honest who knows? I dont care...she is special and im sure the snake you find will be too!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  22:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the important thing is these snakes live for a very long time, as long as they are cared for during their lifetime and there is no impact on wild stock then really BD and CF are fine. I dont like the idea of WC (wild caught not talking about toilets here) is the only one I would never want, they know what its like to be free so captivity would always be second best for them.

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  23:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

SP is this how the CF babies have come to survice in the wild, with predators, and a lack of doting, temperature sensitive, food providing owners? Funny that they haven't died out if that's the case, isn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  23:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That actually has nothing to do with what I was saying and CF animals dont have/need to survive in the wild as they are hatched in captivity. The point is that through captivity we shape temprement and adapt them for captivity through selective breeding (even partially/accidentally selective breeding, ie the ones that dont do well in captivity croak it or dont reach breeeding weight so their genes arent passed on) , its only early days with all captive snakes but think dogs, humans have shaped them for thousands of years and bred them into what they are today, its a loosely relevant comparison but serves the purpose. Captive animals are not exposed to the same stresses that they are adapted to and evolved to deal with in the wild, in time the evolution (dont think big they aren't about to sprout legs, think temprement, health, ability to deal with stress) of the snake will be changed to suit captivity, in some this is already beginning to happen.

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  00:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That actually has nothing to do with what I was saying and CF animals dont have/need to survive in the wild as they are hatched in captivity. The point is that through captivity we shape temprement and adapt them for captivity through selective breeding (even partially/accidentally selective breeding, ie the ones that dont do well in captivity croak it or dont reach breeeding weight so their genes arent passed on) , its only early days with all captive snakes but think dogs, humans have shaped them for thousands of years and bred them into what they are today, its a loosely relevant comparison but serves the purpose. Captive animals are not exposed to the same stresses that they are adapted to and evolved to deal with in the wild, in time the evolution (dont think big they aren't about to sprout legs, think temprement, health, ability to deal with stress) of the snake will be changed to suit captivity, in some this is already beginning to happen.

If that's true, it's almost a shame in a way, like humans are in some way making a reptilian species less virile, less covert, and definitely less natural. I'm happy with my Captive Farmed little fella, and he's adapting well enough to his artificial world.

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  00:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozacbear

My guy Guybrush was captive farmed and I could not of asked for a better pet. He is confident outgoing and curious, loves his rats (unless he's horney), and as never so much as hissed let alone bit anyone. I fell in love with him at the shop when I held him and he disappeared up my jumper, he just seemed to have lots of great personality.

So I would say its about the individual snake not their origins. Don't worry about CB or CF just find the snake thats special to you.

Heres a picture of him just for the hell of it

I agree, and what a nice fella. ***** to all the snake snobbery, let's not be so damn Snakist!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  20:10:10  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the important thing is these snakes live for a very long time, as long as they are cared for during their lifetime and there is no impact on wild stock then really BD and CF are fine. I dont like the idea of WC (wild caught not talking about toilets here) is the only one I would never want, they know what its like to be free so captivity would always be second best for them.

Totally agree bob, we used to breed canaries, we had a good aviary with some stunning birds. My other half always talked of catching a gold finch to inter breed with.....NO WAY! no wild bird was ever going to be captive in my aviary!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  21:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha just seen I put BD, I dont even know what that is! I think I meant CB.

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  12:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Haha just seen I put BD, I dont even know what that is! I think I meant CB.

Could BD be Bob's Dyslexia?

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  18:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its possible.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly