Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jacko23
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  22:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well big Fred has been busy!!

He had gone off his food (small mice) so I left him two weeks and thought I would try him on a rat,
Popped to my local shop got a rat weaned as Fred looked ready, warmed it up and BANG! straight out the tongs!
Brilliant, Not only had he eaten but he took a weaner rat!
Left it 5 days and he took another rat!

Thennnn the little beauty went blue!
I was away for 4 days came back on Saturday but no shed, then I looked tonight
And there is a full shed!! Head to tail including eye caps the whole shebang! Will get pics up soon I promise!

Only problem was he had left a nice big poo as well :)

Now, how long do I leave him before I try and feed him again? It's been almost 2 weeks since his last feed!

Thanks!
Jacko!

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  23:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Entirely upto you, if you have a specific feeding day you can wait for that. I always wait a minimum of a few days for Duke to settle down after a shed though just to be sure he's relaxed and ready for dinner.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  23:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - congrats!

If he took a weaner rat straight after being on small mice, that's quite an increase - but as long as the rat's girth is no larger than one and a half times Fred's girth, he'll be fine. (Shops often do underfeed snakes.) And to transfer to rats so easily too - that's really good.

The shed (and the lovely pile )are more signs that he's in good working order. No need to delay his feed - I'd personally feed him as soon as is convenient - good old Fred, eh?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  23:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, we overlapped, Bob - I was just going by the way Shahi carried on after shed. He wants his rat!

And once I had a corn (they will often feed whatever) who glanced at her mouse, glided off to shed, came back and took the mouse hungrily ...

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  03:25:56  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Wow - congrats!

If he took a weaner rat straight after being on small mice, that's quite an increase - but as long as the rat's girth is no larger than one and a half times Fred's girth, he'll be fine. (Shops often do underfeed snakes.) And to transfer to rats so easily too - that's really good.

The shed (and the lovely pile )are more signs that he's in good working order. No need to delay his feed - I'd personally feed him as soon as is convenient - good old Fred, eh?

Couldn't agree more, a healthy appetite is brilliant, don't delay on giving him a meal, but as Lil' said, make sure it isn't too big, as that is quite a jump in size, presuming from the fact he was on small mice, I'd say he's quite small.
A good appetite is brilliant, but over feeding isn't.

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  14:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are all different, you just have to learn their individual needs. Two of mine will strike feed at any stage of the shed process, once its gone past 6 days, they will eat and no blue eyes or shed will stop them.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Jacko23
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  19:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses boys and girls!

I was worried about going from the small mice to the rats but I got a rat that was just a bit bigger than the small mice
I'll weigh him tonight as I know he is empty!

On the subject of feeding, I know the rule of no bigger than 1 1/2 his girth but what about length of prey????
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  19:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - I don't think that matters - don't think you'll get a rat that's too long. Sounds like that rat was fine.

Another good guide (courtesy of Blackecho) is to feed a meal that is approx 10/15% of the snake's weight.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  21:33:56  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done you! nice to hear a possitive feeding tale!

I always give food the day after a shed because they normaly miss a feed before the shed so go for it!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  22:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another good guide (courtesy of Blackecho) is to feed a meal that is approx 10/15% of the snake's weight.

I was wondering how long it would take

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  23:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

quote:

I was wondering how long it would take

LMAO!

(Cheeky bugger!)

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  00:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  18:14:25  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just feed on demand and they all do well it's personal choice I guess

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000