MITES???!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  20:13:53  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi today whilst changing scarlets water, I moved some of the bark and noticed loads of little bugs crawling all over the bark.
After washing and disinfecting everything I put kitchen roll down for subtrate.

The problem is: Are they mites? they are silver coloured & could only be seen on the bark NOT on scarlet, also they arnt black like I would expect mites to be.

It might also explain scarlets disinterest in food, which we are hoping is down more to her shedding atm.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  20:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah. Do they look like miniscule flies? Have wings?

These may well be a critter called the compost gnat. They thrive in humid conditions - I often see them around houseplant pots. A slight nuisance but totally harmless to snakes!

Bake the bark in the oven - say one hour at lowest temp, spread out on baking tray.

Just as a precaution I'd leave Scarlet on the paper for a few days before returning the bark (which will be still usable though any gnats will have perished - rip gnats.) If you see black specks on the paper or in her water bowl, then start worrying. But I bet you don't.

ps - yes I would say her oncoming shed is definitely the cause of not feeding - all the best!

Edited by - n/a on 13/08/2011 20:29:35
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  21:58:38  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks BATS, I would nominate you for the most helpful member if they had it cause your always there to help.

I checked georges bark and he had it too but not as many (and his bark was baked)

So that defo sounds like what it is. they do seem to linger around the water bowl where little bits of spillage is. it was just a shock cause iv never noticed them before.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  22:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww thanks Bigdon!

Just glad to help (and just happen to be a gardener and know about these beasties lol.)

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  09:29:14  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My first thought was silver fish, they like the nooks and crannies of bark. Compost gnats sounds more likely though, they do like the humidity.

If you had mites then scarlet and george would most likely be trying to soak in their water and you would notice tiny black and brown specs in the water and sometimes crawling in the viv. Mites can only really be seen in their adult stage, the nymph stage is so small and pale that they are hard to spot.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  13:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Springtails can infest vivariums too, though they are actually a snake keepers little helper, they eat any mould or dirt left around. Many use them to keep terrariums clean for frogs etc. If they appear to jump its most likely springtails.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  18:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No it doesn't seem like snake mites so hold off on treatment just keep a good look out

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  17:16:34  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your input guys :)

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: