Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  13:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My new boy. I've had him about 4 weeks and he weighs 167gms today. (I don't know if that's good or not). I also don't know any of his details. I bought him from the pet shop and all I know is he's a 2011 hatchling, so probably about 4 or 5 months. This was him feeding on 7th August but at the moment there's no aspen in his viv, he's on paper, and I'm having to treat him for mite - not happy about that but he seems fine. He's just had a shed but there was some still stuck on his head here.

He also likes to perch on his plant at the top of his viv.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.

Edited by - Lorraine on 19/08/2011 13:26:03

Lancelot
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  14:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick mist of water around the viv will sort his head.
When feeding try and minimise the amount of aspen he ingests.

He looks lovely

Edited by - Lancelot on 19/08/2011 14:17:07
Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  14:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, but whats your vivarium set up?
The difference in normals are astounding, my guy is no where near as dark as little Oscar! Looks like he's got some pretty markings though :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  17:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty lad and lovely pics - what a shame about the mites, poor chap, but it's good he's feeding so well, bless him!

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  17:12:12  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hes lovely looking and doesnt seem shy at all.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  17:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice lovely seeing them eat congrats :)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  20:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there and welcome very nice pics shame about the mites,When you say his on paper is that news paper? Kitchen rolls good shows up the little criters/ref when you feed in the viv a bit of lyno floor stuff in the viv so when you feed him it cut down the aspen prob on his dinner hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  21:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. :o)
I was a bit concerned about him swallowing the aspen to be honest. I've got white paper and kitchen towel down at the mo so that I can see the little critters, lol although they seem very few and far between already. I only saw them on Monday, so he was sprayed and the viv was stripped, cleaned and sprayed. I think my set up is ok for him as he's quite active as well as a good eater, but my one big mistake, which probably contributed to the bad shed, was no humidity. I've now put a humidity box in there and he loves it. He has a heat mat, some logs and plant, his hide and water dish. I use natural daylight so no other lighting.

I don't know where the mites came from as I haven't had him long enough for bad husbandry and I had to get my book out to find out what all the black dots were, but I think I'm on top of it. I took him outside with me today for half an hour so he could soak up some Vit D.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, lol. I'm just so excited with him.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  21:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That I do is wait till The royal strikes them put the newspaper down then place the royal on top of it ;)

You could wet a flannel and slowly move your hand up towards the royals head
While you have the flannel wraps around his body
That might help remove it but be careful

Or

Get a pillow case and wet it in Luke warm water and let him slither about for a while

Looks like he came with mites maybe?

What mite spray have you got Calingtons is what all the people rave about
Also repeat treatment again I forget how long to wait now
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 19/08/2011 21:50:22
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  22:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All his skin is off now thank goodness. An eyecap was retained for over a week which worried me, but a snake keeper/breeder I know came and removed it for me on Tuesday evening.

The spray I've got is Beophar and it says 4 weeks to spray him again. I'm thinking that he did possibly come with the mites 'cause I can't think how else he's got them. Mind you, as a newbie, I know nothing anyway, lol.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  22:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is he CB OR CF? Not often you see CB with mites, especially if the husbandry has been good, where as it's more common in CF or WC.
It's hard to tell from the picture angle, but is the roofing mesh in the 3rd picture?
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  23:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if he's CB or CF I'm afraid and yes, it's mesh. It has a mesh roof and the top half of each side is mesh too...not metal though.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  10:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just personal opinion, so you can totally ignore it if you like! But I'd ask the guy you bought him from if he's captive bred or farmed(I doubt he'll be wild caught, but there is always that slim possibility), it's something handy to know. And get a stool sample checked through just to make sure he's all clear from any internal parasites or anything that could cause hassle in the future.For me, it's piece of mind with knowing facts and details about anything in my care!
My guy came from a reputable source, but I still had a sample checked, put me at rest knowing he'd settle in, and we'd be on our way with each other.
It ma also be beneficial to change the enclosure lid. I know it's common for screen tops to be used with glass enclosures (good airflow and all that) but it equally has it's problems. It means that the change in conditions from the surrounding environment will affect the conditions within the enclosure. It will mainly affect the heat and humidity within the tank, as it allows it to escape, which can lead to bad/difficult shed's and and becoming stressed with the fluctuations of his environment. I'm not saying get rid of every inch of mesh, as the 2 sides that have a small section of mesh are the appropriate amount of airflow he will need. But it may be a good idea to look for either a glass or plexiglas lid. I think wrapping something around the screen top as a temporary measure would work fine, aslong as it didn't absorb the moisture.
:)
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  11:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. Thanks for the advice Jayde.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  11:18:45  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
aww he's lovely, even with his 'bad hair day' look! :D

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  11:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's so nice to see such a good eater : ) What a clever lad he is.

But my only concern is that mesh lid. Is he in a tank? Generaly tanks are no good for Royals. You'll have a hard time keeping temps right and also the humidity, 'cause that mesh lid, along with the glass (not a good insutator), will be a problem in keeping it all in, if that makes sense? Also, a tank is very open and Royals are secretive creatures that like their privacy, so an open tank like that can make them feel very exposed. Although, saying that, your boy doesn't seem to have a problem with that yet. A much better option is a vivarium, or, if you want to save some pennies, RUBs are also really good. Really usful, in fact!

Also, I do agree that you should try and find out if he's CF or CB. It could be usful to you and him.

But he's a very lovley boy, loves his grub which is always good!

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  12:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's in a viv rather than a tank although yes, it is glass. I can most certainly insulate the top if necessary though.
This is it:

and this is him about 15 mins ago. Quite active.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  14:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bless him! The setup in the tank's lovely, but yes, as others have said, you're losing a lot of heat through the top and sides and even with hides the glass makes it too open for a royal, which is a snake who likes privacy and dimness ...pity, as it's a beautiful tank and looks easy to clean too - useful in view of the pesky mites.

Umm ...my first thought was - thick towel covering top, back and sides, keep heat in and provide extra dimness ...BUT, in view of those mites, a towel's an ideal hiding place for the little (censored)s ...

You know, this sounds really stupid, but while he's got the mites you could drape the tank with a cheap black binliner? I know it will look horrible but it's only temporary, and it will definitely insulate/darken the tank - erm sorry if this just sounds disgusting, but the thing is you could change it regularly and throw the old one away, complete with any lurking mites ...

Do hope you get him sorted soon, and please excuse my wacky solutions ...

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  14:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nocturnal animals out and about during the day to me for Royals in particular sounds more unsettled than active. Whether this is down to the hot bit been too hot and the cold bit been too cold (thermal regulation is taking regular moving about) or just a lack of privacy or good places to hide is something you might need to look into. All my lot are very much hidden away sleeping during the day except the corn who likes mornings and afternoons to go about his business.

I would add that the snake is eating so its unlikely to be stressed but possibly his shuffling about is an indication something isnt quite right.

Edited by - Lotabob on 20/08/2011 14:34:43
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  18:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bats and Lotabob. Good points. He's just eaten again. Gone in about 2 mins flat, lol.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  18:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little smasher - what a gannet!

Bet he could eat a rat next time!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic